PDA

View Full Version : Engine sound after ignition during 3 mins on the road

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone also have the same problem....

After warming up the car until the needle went to 1000rpm I usually drove the car very slowly appx40kph (below 3k rpm) for 3mins until I reached the main road and the oil temp indicator went to normal.

however during those 3 mins the sound of the engine (from stop to run) was different compared to when I had reach the main road (from stop to run) or in traffic light.

it sounded a bit coarse.... not exactly rattling. If the engine sound when i reached the main road was like "bzzzzz....." then the first 3 mins was like (soft) "krrrlllll" -> I make a fool of my self by writing this (sigh).

Can't show it to dealer as this only happens when the car was stationary for a long time eg. parked overnight.

Is it because I didn't warm it long enough? but read a lot of thread saying euro doesn't need it that long to warm up anyway.... and I did try to warm it long enough to get the oil temp needle to the middle but still get that soft coarse sound.

a friend of mine said the piston is scratched. but how come it only affects the first 3 mins on the road?

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers,

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
Btw the car's transmission is auto, and it didn't matter whether I used tiptronic or not.

EuroAccord13
04-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I would first see if the road surfaces between the main road and the road you travel on for the first 3 mins are difference coarses.

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
you can only hear the sound when you press the pedal, so i would say definitely not the sound from the road. And beside it's an engine sound it's very distinct from the sound of the tyre against the road.

vte18c
04-09-2008, 12:51 PM
We can all sit here and speculate what it might be from your bbzzzz and krrlll noises.. but wouldn't the obvious first step be to have the engine checked out by your local honda dealer if it really bothers you that much?

teaseR
04-09-2008, 01:17 PM
im assuming its just a cold start... engine trying to warm itself

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 01:23 PM
I did warm it up... until the temp gauge was in the middle...

so probably this is an isolated issue....

it's only my car then :(

The previous owner only did service by the book and never change oil in between... i bought the car when it was 19k on the odo. serivce it right away and change oil every 5k but problem still persist.

So i thought that maybe the cause

aaronng
04-09-2008, 01:40 PM
I did warm it up... until the temp gauge was in the middle...

so probably this is an isolated issue....

it's only my car then :(

The previous owner only did service by the book and never change oil in between... i bought the car when it was 19k on the odo. serivce it right away and change oil every 5k but problem still persist.

So i thought that maybe the cause
The temperature gauge shows COOLANT temperature, not oil temperature. So your engine is not warmed up yet.
Servicing by the book is fine. You don't need to change oil every 5k unless you have very poor oil or you are driving under severe conditions (short trips).

04-09-2008, 02:05 PM
may be the person u bought the car off didnt run in the engine since they have it at first place. (new car RAM HARD lol!!)

could be scratch as stated above. but to be shure should checked to the dealer. or get a stethoscope (doctor thingy) listen what actualy happen :p and tell us the sound in the detail LOL!! (or try with screw fdriver. put ur ear on the other end and listen to it.

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 02:27 PM
The temperature gauge shows COOLANT temperature, not oil temperature. So your engine is not warmed up yet.
Servicing by the book is fine. You don't need to change oil every 5k unless you have very poor oil or you are driving under severe conditions (short trips).

hmmm so how long should I wait until the oil warm enough?

btw when you drive cold start, does the engine sound different initially (when you press the pedal) than after the engine warm enough?

Crapdaz
04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
the car always has a different deeper throaty noise when driven in the morning from a cold start.

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 02:55 PM
the car always has a different deeper throaty noise when driven in the morning from a cold start.

hmmm maybe that's the case, coz it's pretty distinct as my friend even think that the piston may have been scratched...

beeza
04-09-2008, 03:06 PM
A Video with sound if possible would help.

04-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I USED to have a F22b1 accord Cd5 model 94.

The engine is well known fro being NOISY in the morning! before it warms up.. making very rough sound. but after awhile become quiet. but i dont know bout the k24..

aaronng
04-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Your piston won't be scratched. Don't worry. I wouldn't take the word of your friend as gospel. The only major issue you might get is oil consumption and white-blue exhaust smoke. So check your oil level regularly.

Crapdaz
04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
hmmm maybe that's the case, coz it's pretty distinct as my friend even think that the piston may have been scratched...

what sort of noise?

if your hearing grinding noise or any sort of strange noise then yes something is wrong.

But if your hearing a deeper tone etc... when driving then it is fine.
Need to drive about 10-15mins before the deeper noise goes away and idles fine.

EUR003act
04-09-2008, 04:45 PM
if your pistons were damaged the noise would be there all the time... not only the first three mins... as aaronng said, oil takes ALOT longer to heat up than oil... your oil wont reach normal operating temp for the first 15-20mins driving during winter...

you say driving slow below 40km/hr below 3k... aslong as your not putting the engine under high load (wide open throttle) or revving it hard (say above 3k) there should be no need to sit in your car and let it warm up... in some countries, its acutally illegal to do that :p

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
well it's not deeper but soft coarse sound.... if it's deeper then i'll be pretty to let it go...

hmmm i'll try to record the sound tonight, but i don't think the sound will be loud enough to be recorded though

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Your piston won't be scratched. Don't worry. I wouldn't take the word of your friend as gospel. The only major issue you might get is oil consumption and white-blue exhaust smoke. So check your oil level regularly.

that's a relief..., hate to think i bought faulty good here :D

hopefully it's just me being paranoid...

04-09-2008, 04:51 PM
easier way get it to honda. get it serviced includes tappets clearance check

unity
04-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi, just wondering does your car feel different with the different noise? ie is the car running smotther or rougher oor more or less responsive?
Isn't there a sensor on the car that only activates after the car has been running for a certain time or when the car reaches a particulat temperature? It's possible that when this sensor kicks in that the car's engine displays a different noise/feeling?

aaronng
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
that's a relief..., hate to think i bought faulty good here :D

hopefully it's just me being paranoid...

You are more likely to bend your valves from overrevving or snap a rod from being an idiot, then you are to scratch a piston.

Crapdaz
04-09-2008, 07:11 PM
if your pistons were damaged the noise would be there all the time... not only the first three mins... as aaronng said, oil takes ALOT longer to heat up than oil... your oil wont reach normal operating temp for the first 15-20mins driving during winter...

you say driving slow below 40km/hr below 3k... aslong as your not putting the engine under high load (wide open throttle) or revving it hard (say above 3k) there should be no need to sit in your car and let it warm up... in some countries, its acutally illegal to do that :p

your the idle police. :cool:

Hi, just wondering does your car feel different with the different noise? ie is the car running smotther or rougher oor more or less responsive?
Isn't there a sensor on the car that only activates after the car has been running for a certain time or when the car reaches a particulat temperature? It's possible that when this sensor kicks in that the car's engine displays a different noise/feeling?
more rougher and louder, when warmer and settled down its quiet.
Just your everyday cold start ---> warm up

pxrnm
04-09-2008, 11:26 PM
tried to record the sound.... failed miserably :eek:

the sound was too soft considering it's below 3k rpm... and euro was pretty good with sound deadening ;)

anyway I think if i have to say what it sounds like then it sounded similar like when you reverse the car.... yup pretty close like that

so is this common? and is it caused by the cold start? :confused:

tony1234
05-09-2008, 07:51 AM
tried to record the sound.... failed miserably :eek:

the sound was too soft considering it's below 3k rpm... and euro was pretty good with sound deadening ;)

anyway I think if i have to say what it sounds like then it sounded similar like when you reverse the car.... yup pretty close like that

so is this common? and is it caused by the cold start? :confused:
I think it's like you said before,you're being a bit paranoid.:)

pxrnm
05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks for all of the reply, I think this thread should be closed now.:D

LXRY
05-09-2008, 05:54 PM

Go to dealer ask to drive another euro, or ask someone from the forum maybe someone lives near your area with a euro then you can see if there's any difference in sounds etc....

aaronng
07-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Closed as requested by threadstarter.