PDA

View Full Version : Tinting Chrome Headlight Housing

Lerlo
04-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Wanted to get the shadow chrome look on my EK headlights.
So I didnt sand the chrome, and painted the housing with this window tinting paint I got from autobarn, recommended by them.
Now the paint is running all over the place and I had to wipe it all off.
Was the paint wrong? Or you cant paint chrome surfaces unless you sand them down?? :(

CoZZm0
04-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Maybe you sprayed too much paint on there? Better to do many light coats than a thick single coat when it comes to spray cans.

Spray with the can at least 30cm away from what you're painting and "mist" a light coat on there. Give it 10 minutes to flash (get tacky) and then spray another light coat. Having the item warmed in the sun to dry will speed up the process too, but you risk having dust/debris stick to it.

It might take a couple of hours (and several coats with some dry time in between) to get a decent enough coat to get them as 'tinted' as you want, but it will work out better in the end.

Lerlo
04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Maybe you sprayed too much paint on there? Better to do many lights coats than a thick single coat when it comes to spray cans.

Spray with the can at least 30cm away from what you're painting and "mist" a light coat on there. Give it 10 minutes to flash (get tacky) and then spray another light coat. Having the item warmed in the sun to dry will speed up the process too, but you risk having dust/debris stick to it.

It might take a couple of hours (and several coats with some dry time in between) to get a decent enough coat to get them as 'tinted' as you want, but it will work out better in the end.

Nah I did many paint jobs before. Its strange, even when I mist it on, I can see the paint flowing to crevices, leaving bright chrome on the high parts. Its strange, Im thinking im using the wrong paint, coz I used other tinting paint on headlights before and that didnt happen. But this is the first time Im painting an unsanded chrome surface so Im not sure if its the chrome.
Oh and this paint i bought, takes 8 hrs to dry. I wiped it all off after contemplating whether to wipe it off for like 15 mins. Lol