PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air or Short Ram?

Ek4Vtir
05-09-2008, 01:38 AM
Hey guys posting again :P

umm just wondering what are the key benifits in upgradeing the air filter? or " its just for show no real gain"

- The difference between cold air and short ram?
- what do u guys prefer?
- pros and cons?
- what brand or sort of intake to use..? where can I get it? ( I've looked on ebay and they are really cheap... like $80 bucks on ebay.. ( delivery fee being $75 and the intake $15)... bargain or junk?

eg. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Honda-Civic-96-00-EK-high-flow-air-intake-FREE-FILTER_W0QQitemZ250287536541QQihZ015QQcategoryZ366 80QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Im currently driving honda ek4 b16a2... and wondering what sort of intake will be suitable for me? any sugguestions.

wasabi
05-09-2008, 01:48 AM
CAI - has the pod sitting outside of the engine bay (ie. wheel arch or front bumper) to gain direct feed to cold air.
SRI - has the pod sitting inside the engine bay but with pipes feeding cold air towards the pod.

injen CAI from jdmyard .. think it is $445

if you want real gains dont get any no brand ebay junk.

TCP
05-09-2008, 01:53 AM
i got injen cai in my ek4... just goes BAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! but yea not much gain

kazam
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
I have n AEM SRI, It's gains are as follows:
1- Sounds REALLY nice, very beasty for a D16
2- The car accelerates a litle smoother, espciaally on cold days
3- Nice bling in your bay

That's pretty much it, I can't tell u the Pro's and Con's of a CAI since i never had one, but I think CAI is more for performance, but wen u compare the performance of the 2 intakes, I think the difference is so minor u won't even notice.. but then again to be honest I think the overall gain on performance with both intakes is also so minor u probably wont notice like a *holy crap my intake kicked in yo* type of perfomance gain, but as I said with the SRI at low revs it accelarates more smoothly (that's as best as i can describe it) and around 4200revs it opens up hard i reckn

tayl51601
05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
The only difference between the two is the power gains and maybe the sound it makes.
But like kazam said the difference in the power gains between the two would be so small you wouldnt even notice it.

With the sounds, correct me if im wrong but the short ram would have a louder sound then cold air...

I bought just a short ram with a stainless steel pipe before my car was turbod. The stainless still pipe improves the sound, it gives a bit of a ringing noise at certain RPM's and the pod chages the sound of vtec to a more grunty sound. Other than the noise there are not many benefits in short ram.

EK1.6LCIV
05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Spoon pipe with std air box ftw

Louis - Type S
05-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Id get a CAI any day over a SRI, true that there is not much difference in initial power gain but the SRI is more suceptable to heat soaking (underbonnet tempertratures rise and hot air is sucked through the filter) therefore losing abit of performance. As for most CAI they are mounted low so a direct feed of cold air can be channeled into the airfilter, through the piping and into the inlet manifold away from any sources of heat. Just got to be careful when having a CAI that you dont suck up any water (ie driving through puddles on a rainy day). Both have awesome sound when VTEC kicks in but id always pick a CAI regardless. Good luck in finding what you want.

beeza
05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
You could have the best of both (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93744&highlight=breathing+fresh+air) world's.

LiKPiC
06-09-2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42865&highlight=sticky

Pros and Cons discussed in this thread.