PDA

View Full Version : Greddy E manage VS Apexi AFC neo

rbk_212
07-09-2008, 08:11 PM
hey guys im sorry if this has been done before but i just want some peoples opinions on the Greddy E Manage and Apexi AFC Neo..

can someone point out the differences between them and id appreciate it if anyone that has these products could let me know how happy they are with it and the sort of results they got. any discussion is welcome :)

BTW i know that Hondata kits and Power FCs kick ass and are in a different league so please dont reiterate the point, cheers

Edit: is the E Manage Ultimate much better then the regular blue e manage?

dynosaur
07-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Greddy E Manage can program the ignition system but Apexi AFC Neo can't.

rbk_212
07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Greddy E Manage can program the ignition system but Apexi AFC Neo can't.

so is it that much better? for a car with mild modifications like i/h/e?

aaronng
08-09-2008, 08:52 AM
Much much better. You might need the Emanage ultimate if you want to control vtec point as well.

teaseR
08-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Emanage blue can control vtec points

rbk_212
08-09-2008, 04:10 PM
so the e manage ulitimate is pretty good ey? they're still cheap compared to power fc's and hondata though, is there a reason for that?

and also i was under the impression that the ONLY the e manage ultimate has ignition timing capabilities, not the normal blue one

TODA AU
08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Edit: is the E Manage Ultimate much better then the regular blue e manage?
Yes... (No serial cable - use USB)

Still not as good as a stand alone system though.
Eg: For DC5 you'd need the e-manage + a v-manage + the loom to do an inferior job that can be done with a K-Pro.

thewinnerz
09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
e manage is more complete in spec... better get that one..

rbk_212
09-09-2008, 05:38 PM
yeah im leaning to e manage, blue or ultimate for a mild dc2? anyone had any experience with either product?

dynosaur
09-09-2008, 10:17 PM
so is it that much better? for a car with mild modifications like i/h/e?

In general speaking is YES, e-manage BLUE will be a good choise in economy view (Cheap&Good) and good enough for street use. As far as I know, the e-manage Blue also got an ignition map provide to the user to do certain (limited)setting in there original ecu.

Yes, I also agree e-manage Ultimate can able to do the job much better then e-manage BLUE with no doubt plus ULTIMATE also provide a couple more new settings to improve the engine performences.

But, if u r satisfied ur car carrent performences, and just want to upgrade to a better map setting without spending alot of $. e-manage BLUE will be the best option IMO. I think most of the tuner also could capable to handle this e-manage Blue, therefore the tuning fee will be cheap.
you could also get Utimate , but I think the tuning fee will be different due to Ultimate got a couple more new settings, therefore it sure the tuner will take longer time to tune the ecu and finally been charged extra tuning fees.

If u r just play on the street + play with saving $ , e-manage Blue will be my best suggestion to you :D

Edit: this is just my personal opitons , if u r not agree just dun worry about it & dump away ;)

rbk_212
10-09-2008, 05:16 PM
^^thanks for your input!

i think its going to come down to price, if i find a nice cheap ultimate ill go that.

also, does anyone know anything about the 'optional harnesses' that you can get? i'm getting the impression that you buy the unit then the harness seperately to install it.

is that right?

Crapdaz
10-09-2008, 06:36 PM
^^thanks for your input!

i think its going to come down to price, if i find a nice cheap ultimate ill go that.

also, does anyone know anything about the 'optional harnesses' that you can get? i'm getting the impression that you buy the unit then the harness seperately to install it.

is that right?

Greddy unit doesn't come with harness

You either get the greddy harness or you can go with boomslang harness.
Harness will set you back at least $200-250 i think, might have changed since i looked and due to application.

[ricer]
10-09-2008, 06:42 PM
is ur car obd1?
hondata s100 in an obd1 car isnt that expensive is it?

rbk_212
10-09-2008, 07:29 PM
;1887108']is ur car obd1?
hondata s100 in an obd1 car isnt that expensive is it?

im postive that my car is a OBD2, i was looking at going all out with a hondata s300 at one point but i dont think its worth it for my car right now.

i had a thread not long ago asking what whether my ECU was OBD1 or 2 and i think it was pretty conclusively proven that it was OBD 2 form the replies

but yeah do hondata even make stuff for OBD2? from what i can see its all OBD1 stuff which doesnt make much sense coz i think most of the Type R's are OBD2 which is what i imagine alot of their customers are driving.

[ricer]
10-09-2008, 07:34 PM
yeah if its obd2 i'd go pfc
but if its obd1 then hondata is definitely the best option

what year model is ur car?
or even better, pull off the carpet and check ur the code of ur ecu

rbk_212
10-09-2008, 07:40 PM
;1887185']yeah if its obd2 i'd go pfc
but if its obd1 then hondata is definitely the best option

what year model is ur car?
or even better, pull off the carpet and check ur the code of ur ecu

the cars a 96 vti-r but the build plate has it as Oct' 95.

yeah im thinking taking a look at the ECU will be something i do soon, i only just learnt where it was, i was under the impression it was hard to access.

im leaning to the e manage ultimate or blue..

[ricer]
10-09-2008, 07:51 PM
the cars a 96 vti-r but the build plate has it as Oct' 95.

yeah im thinking taking a look at the ECU will be something i do soon, i only just learnt where it was, i was under the impression it was hard to access.

im leaning to the e manage ultimate or blue..

how much is the emanage?
get a quote on tuning it

then get a quote on hondata and tuning

weight out the costs and the benefits...

rbk_212
10-09-2008, 08:10 PM
;1887233']how much is the emanage?
get a quote on tuning it

then get a quote on hondata and tuning

weight out the costs and the benefits...

the emanages vary but theres some really good buys out there.

and i dont think hondata make stuff for OBD2 ecu's. some one correct me if im wrong? but if im right that puts them out of the question

[ricer]
10-09-2008, 09:56 PM
for s100 u need to buy a obd1 ecu and conversion harness if your car is obd2
for the price you might as well look out for a 2nd hand powerfc

but if you car is obd1 then get s100 chipped into ur ecu

rbk_212
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
;1887463']for s100 u need to buy a obd1 ecu and conversion harness if your car is obd2
for the price you might as well look out for a 2nd hand powerfc

but if you car is obd1 then get s100 chipped into ur ecu

yeah its not worth the conversion for an s100. i was looking at a possible second hand power fc, but they are still abit pricey, compared to the e manage's around

redinteg
13-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Things to know about the e-manage..
you can tune it with the knobs on the front but this will only alter fuel mixture in 500rpm incriments (so youd be better with the neo).
To tune the thing properly you will need to find a tuner who has the support cable and software or buy one yourself (around $150).
It looks just like a serial cable but trust me a normal serial cable will not work.
Then if you want to be able to alter ignition timing (highly recomended) you need to buy the extra harness not sure of cost but it is pricey for a plug and 2 or 3 wires.
When i installed mine i just got the boomslang harness which includes the ignition harness ($200+).
I recomend getting the plug and play harness unless, you can find someone who has installed one befor to a honda as you will recieve a poorly photocopied manual which contains INCORRECT jumper settings for setting the unit up for 4cyl vtec engines.

Not trying to put you off as ive happily been running mine for over a year now with no troubles at all (b16a2 + i/h/e + cams/valvesprings shaved head) but just be aware of the extra cost for software+cable or harnesses you might need.

kongfu
14-09-2008, 02:43 AM
Greddy/Trust Japan already released bankruptcy.

rbk_212
14-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Things to know about the e-manage..
you can tune it with the knobs on the front but this will only alter fuel mixture in 500rpm incriments (so youd be better with the neo).
To tune the thing properly you will need to find a tuner who has the support cable and software or buy one yourself (around $150).
It looks just like a serial cable but trust me a normal serial cable will not work.
Then if you want to be able to alter ignition timing (highly recomended) you need to buy the extra harness not sure of cost but it is pricey for a plug and 2 or 3 wires.
When i installed mine i just got the boomslang harness which includes the ignition harness ($200+).
I recomend getting the plug and play harness unless, you can find someone who has installed one befor to a honda as you will recieve a poorly photocopied manual which contains INCORRECT jumper settings for setting the unit up for 4cyl vtec engines.

Not trying to put you off as ive happily been running mine for over a year now with no troubles at all (b16a2 + i/h/e + cams/valvesprings shaved head) but just be aware of the extra cost for software+cable or harnesses you might need.

thanks for the info mate, did you install it yourself?

i was planning to get whatever i end up with professionally installed and tuned. Would there be tuners/traders on here that would have the necessary cables and plugs (for ignition etc) and would tune the car for me?

redinteg
14-09-2008, 11:56 AM
i did install it myself, easy with the plug and play boomslang harness, however email boomslang and tell them what sort of car/engine/ecu (obd1/2) your running and they will give the the correct setting for your car DONT TRUST THE EMANAGE MANUAL.
I installed it at home befor i took my car in to have the cams ect installed. and it will need to be professionaly tuned, i got mine done at Geelong tune up specalists, The only place in geelong i could find to do it but i'm sure there will be plenty of shops in melbourne who can do it.

teaseR
14-09-2008, 11:59 AM

i have a emanage blue fitted to my dc2r using manual jumper settings....
runs fine. vtec engages and all

rbk_212
14-09-2008, 04:03 PM
i have a emanage blue fitted to my dc2r using manual jumper settings....
runs fine. vtec engages and all

did you install and tune that yourself?

Webby_roller
14-09-2008, 08:25 PM
just a quick question here... soo the main idea is to go away from the Apexi NEO??? My bother has the SAFC-II in his tx3, seems to fun fine, and as such was looking into geting a Apexi NEO. Are they just inferior to other ECU's? or have people had issues with them? or just not worth the money??? just looking for one for a d15b with planned cams, and usual i/h/e and port and polish.

teaseR
15-09-2008, 11:19 AM
did you install and tune that yourself?

set jumper exactly what the manual stated but tune was done but the tuner

rbk_212
15-09-2008, 04:25 PM
just a quick question here... soo the main idea is to go away from the Apexi NEO??? My bother has the SAFC-II in his tx3, seems to fun fine, and as such was looking into geting a Apexi NEO. Are they just inferior to other ECU's? or have people had issues with them? or just not worth the money??? just looking for one for a d15b with planned cams, and usual i/h/e and port and polish.

i think the issue with the apexi NEO is that its only and air fuel controller whereas the greddy stuff(and power fc's, hondata etc) can control ignition timing and they are just more tunable.

if your planning on doing serious mods as you mentioned then id be going with a proper ECU such as Hondata, APexi Power FC or some other full standalone system so you can extract the maximum potential from your bad ass cams and engine work :D

but for my application im looking for something more basic hence this discussion

rbk_212
15-09-2008, 04:27 PM
set jumper exactly what the manual stated but tune was done but the tuner

are you in melbourne? if so who tuned it for you? will most tuners have experience with an e manage? im assuming theyd be smart enough to work it out but someone with experience with Honda's and greddy products would be encouraging.

Webby_roller
15-09-2008, 05:28 PM
i think the issue with the apexi NEO is that its only and air fuel controller whereas the greddy stuff(and power fc's, hondata etc) can control ignition timing and they are just more tunable.

if your planning on doing serious mods as you mentioned then id be going with a proper ECU such as Hondata, APexi Power FC or some other full standalone system so you can extract the maximum potential from your bad ass cams and engine work :D

but for my application im looking for something more basic hence this discussion

True that... Might have a look into it...

Cheers

teaseR
16-09-2008, 12:17 AM
are you in melbourne? if so who tuned it for you? will most tuners have experience with an e manage? im assuming theyd be smart enough to work it out but someone with experience with Honda's and greddy products would be encouraging.

no in adelaide

Son Gokou
16-09-2008, 11:03 AM
There is one tuner for Emanage in Vic:

http://www.etuner.com.au/

vincikwan
16-09-2008, 11:12 AM
I think you should have a chat with Andy at Akmotorworks abt the e-manage and vafc. I got both the vafc and the e-manage but i decided to sell the e-manage and go vafc.

rbk_212
16-09-2008, 04:53 PM
I think you should have a chat with Andy at Akmotorworks abt the e-manage and vafc. I got both the vafc and the e-manage but i decided to sell the e-manage and go vafc.

oh yeah? reasons?

what sort of gains did you get?

iced
16-09-2008, 07:55 PM
AFC NEO is good for what it can do.
If you can find a second hand unit and DIY installation its does the job well and doesnt cost you an arm and a leg.
Just Unit cost + dyno tuning

VTECnique
17-09-2008, 10:22 AM
iced - agreed, with a correctly tuned AFC Neo & i/h/e, noticeable gains can be had. All you would be paying is unit & dyno tuning.

i/h/e on budget - AFC Neo
i/h/e with head/bottom end work - chipped OBD1 ecu with whatever tuning program. works out to be cheaper than emanage, all you would need is OBD2a/b - OBD1 harness. works just as well if not better than emanage because air/fuel settings are coming straight from ecu instead of being intercepted by piggyback.

Super-DA9
28-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey guys sorry to dig up an old thread but I got a noob question for ya. Can emanage ultimate be used with itb's? I've got a set of obx (previous toda model) itb's which I will be running with buddyclub spec III cams amongst other completed mods on my DC2 vti-r and I need a good tuning solution for it. Sadly, I can't run hondata because no one can tune it in ACT or nearby NSW.

TODA AU
29-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Hey guys sorry to dig up an old thread but I got a noob question for ya. Can emanage ultimate be used with itb's? I've got a set of obx (previous toda model) itb's which I will be running with buddyclub spec III cams amongst other completed mods on my DC2 vti-r and I need a good tuning solution for it. Sadly, I can't run hondata because no one can tune it in ACT or nearby NSW.

E-Manage is no good for your application.
Use Haltech or Hondata.
Hondata would be the easiest & cheapest solution.
We can tune it - no problem but you'd need to make a trip to Sydney.

Super-DA9
30-01-2011, 11:26 AM
thanks toda, you have PM. :)

TODA AU
31-01-2011, 11:02 AM
thanks toda, you have PM. :)
NP - replied :thumbsup:

KC.
07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
i've got a unichip piggyback ECU in my car.

along with edlebrock adjustable cams + intake manifold

car feel like it's running slow and has all the power top end, is it worth getting it retuned?

i'm looking at getting a hondata probs s300 later but would only probbaly put that in after i put in a new exhaust system.

is there much different in price in tuning a unichip to hondata? car is a DC2R btw

can i get much out of the intake manifold and cam gears with just a piggyback ecu or would a standalone be that much better.

TODA AU
07-02-2011, 07:52 PM
is there much different in price in tuning a unichip to hondata?
can i get much out of the intake manifold and cam gears with just a piggyback ecu or would a standalone be that much better.

I can't answer the Unichip vs Hondata cost as we don't tune Unichip.
Also, the tune cost comes down to what your tuner charges (Be that per job or per hr)
For a better idea of tune cost, contact the tuner you wish to employ & discuss it with them.

Re the Edlebrock manifold,
Chances are your car will be faster with the OEM intake manifold refitted.
The adjustable cam pulleys can be of benifit if there is an issue with cam timing.
Honestly, on a std engine with std cams this is a hit & miss process at best where you try them here & there & log the results. (on the dyno of course) Some cars respond, some dont.

KC.
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM
so even if i use a standalone ecu such as hondata s300 with the edlebrock manifold is there a higher chance of the gains not being as high compared to stock manifold? How can I put the E'brock manifold to good use? if that's even possible for you to figure out at this point?

TODA AU
09-02-2011, 10:44 AM
so even if i use a standalone ecu such as hondata s300 with the edlebrock manifold is there a higher chance of the gains not being as high compared to stock manifold? How can I put the E'brock manifold to good use? if that's even possible for you to figure out at this point?

The Edlebrock manifold is pretty much a piece of junk, likley sold to you by someone with no idea & more interested in making a dollar than helping you improve the performance of your car.
That aside, like it or not, the factory DC2R intake manifold is very good, particularly when the engine hasn't had any real changes from stock. The camshafts, compression, capacity & aspiration all remain as from the factory. The Edlebrock may be of some use on a turbocharged application, but we don't use or recommend them.
You've got one & it'll be fine. I just said you'd be better off with the stock manifold.
That may or may not be an option for you I don't know, but there's really nothing to figure out, I've been doing this for a long time & I can tell you as fact that the factory ITR intake manifold is pretty much as good or better than most aftermarket ones.

KC.
11-02-2011, 03:55 PM
ha yeah, it came with the car when i bought it and was looking to returning it stock although wanted a better opinion. because i heard they might come in handy with a standalone ecu.

hopefully i can return it to stock soon :)

thanks for the info

KC.
11-02-2011, 03:59 PM
alos. if i can't find a stock manifold is the skunk2 a good alternative or is it either stock or nothing

TODA AU
14-02-2011, 07:19 PM
alos. if i can't find a stock manifold is the skunk2 a good alternative or is it either stock or nothing

SK2 is ok, it's maybe a poofteenth better than stock as that's what It's a copy of.

KC.
14-02-2011, 09:24 PM
alright! thanks for answering my questions!!