PDA

View Full Version : ED Civic Gearbox Questions

tseesinngwailo
09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey All,

My friend (Motaru) has an ED hatch that needs a new auto gearbox urgently, it keeps sticking in 1st gear when cold, a bit of moving around will sort it out, but looks like its time to get another.

Its a D15 Twin carb with Auto, and I am wondering would it be possible to get a CVT box from a D16 in a EK Civic to fit? as I drove the EK and the gearbox was really cool. I think it would come down to the mounts more than anything else? does anyone have any experience of doing this conversion, if not, any recommendations on the best auto box to get?

This is a great little car for a new p-plater, so any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Tseesinngwailo

JasonGilholme
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
since when was there a CVT box on a d16 in an EK??

CVT's have only been introduced into the new models only recently.

tseesinngwailo
09-09-2008, 03:18 PM
The EK I drove was definately not a standard auto box, you put your foot down, the tacho gets to 6000rpm (or something high) and justs stays there while the car shoots forward, there is no changing of gears that i can tell, it accelerates smoothly like there is only 1 gear, they way this thing goes, it has to be some kind of CVT

but I just found this...
http://asia.vtec.net/article/EK3Vi/index.html

to Quote: EK3 Civic Ferio Vi's are best appreciated with Honda's wonder Multimatic CVT transmission.

Now I have found this, I am going to see if I can import 2 halfcuts, one for Adams Civic, and one for my wife's EG, or If I am lucky, talk her into getting an EK so I can do the swap lol

Oh, and the EK I drove here was a D16B with that box

JasonGilholme
09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhh EK3. (never heard of it lol)

IMO Manual > any other box.

Good luck with it. chances are you'll need the complete ECU and everything to make it work. Better off swapping allt he mechanicals from one car over to the other rather then just the box and trying to figure out the electricals.

tseesinngwailo
09-09-2008, 04:56 PM
I thought about that, but I will try and research a bit more, I have a friend who imports half cuts and stuff from Japan, so can probably get him to get me a half cheap cheap :) but for now, still need a box for the ED, Motaru doesnt want to change gearbox from auto to manual, not that kind of driver :) so we just need to find a good condition auto box, was hoping someone had one left from a halfcut conversion

cristian
09-09-2008, 11:47 PM
its a lot easier to find an auto gearbox from another d15 dual carb...probably your quickest and easy option...