View Full Version : Problems Flat Shifting

sikisdr69
09-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Guys

Im having a problem Flatshifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, im led to believe this is due to the clutch not disengaging and not allowing me to pop into gear, Has anyone one else had a problem like this? if so how did you overcome it, is it due to the clutch not disengageing and due to something else?
I got a b16a short gear ratio cable gearbox, and i shift at 9000 rpm

JasonGilholme
09-09-2008, 02:27 PM
flat shifting = bad.

Chances are its your crap shifting technique which isn't letting the syncrho's do their job or letting the clutch fully disengaging.

Shift properly next time.

JohnL
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
To flat shift correctly you'll need a lot of skill (more than I have, and I'm pretty adept at heel / toe etc), and a very light flywheel, or else the rpm will be too high when you try to select the higher gear, and the synchros will resist the shift, and / or you'll crunch the gears.

All in all it's a great way to wreck your gearbox, they just aren't designed to do it. Racing 'crash' boxes are different...

sikisdr69
09-09-2008, 03:52 PM
flat shifting = bad.

Chances are its your crap shifting technique which isn't letting the syncrho's do their job or letting the clutch fully disengaging.

Shift properly next time.

well i dont know how else you can flat shift, i think its pretty simple, foot on pedal as you press clutch, shift and then release clutch, yes it might be bad but it is a essential if you want to pull times down the quarter,

JasonGilholme
09-09-2008, 03:54 PM
who said flat shifting = good 1/4 times?

sikisdr69
09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
To flat shift correctly you'll need a lot of skill (more than I have, and I'm pretty adept at heel / toe etc), and a very light flywheel, or else the rpm will be too high when you try to select the higher gear, and the synchros will resist the shift, and / or you'll crunch the gears.

All in all it's a great way to wreck your gearbox, they just aren't designed to do it. Racing 'crash' boxes are different...

yea i have a 3.9kg flywheel, and what you stated happens, its sounds as tho the gears are crunching as im shifting, but its better to keep the revs high as that is where most of the power is

sikisdr69
09-09-2008, 04:00 PM
who said flat shifting = good 1/4 times?

Quarter mile times depend on a smooth run without losing much time and power between shifts, flat shifting will keep the revs up high which will allow you to land in a higher rev range once shifted which will allow you to utilise your power band as it is greater in higher RPM

geeang
09-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Quarter mile times depend on a smooth run without losing much time and power between shifts, flat shifting will keep the revs up high which will allow you to land in a higher rev range once shifted which will allow you to utilise your power band as it is greater in higher RPM

If it just leads to you crunching gears because of your technique then why bother?

xtercii
09-09-2008, 05:09 PM
That's exactly right, flat shifting is bad so is track drag or drift, so where do you stop or where do you draw the line...

I am pretty keen to know why would flat shifting successfully not equal to a good time...

dupac->
09-09-2008, 05:21 PM
well u gotta do it right to get them better times..

if not dont do it at all.

EGB18CT
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
invest in a dog box and an ecu that has ignition cut, then you can safely flat shift. for the sake of .1 of a sec i know id rather quick shift normally and know that ill be at the track next week with a golden box. if your running 15, 14, 13 even 12's, whats the point!

CRXer
09-09-2008, 06:47 PM
my best run was done full manual flat shifting,but it doesnt work on the street,i get too much wheel spin into second.i could imagine the same thing happening on the strip with a modest increase in power.

if u dont have electronic flat shift a good compromise is just slight lift on the throttle between shifts.

DC4Integra98
09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
invest in a dog box and an ecu that has ignition cut, then you can safely flat shift. for the sake of .1 of a sec i know id rather quick shift normally and know that ill be at the track next week with a golden box. if your running 15, 14, 13 even 12's, whats the point!

as this man said, get a dog box.. :thumbsup:

CRXer
09-09-2008, 07:19 PM

when your running consistent 14.0's & u want a 13,worked for me

EG5
09-09-2008, 07:52 PM
flat shifting FTW !!!

bennjamin
09-09-2008, 07:54 PM
now i know why i cant crack 13's. I dont flat shift only shift quick lol

Benson
09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
i never flat shift in my car... not worth it for the extra .2 tenths to wreck the gearbox.

Invest in some slicks for 1/4mile

EKVTIR-T
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
If the clutch and shift timing is right how can it cause damage...?

Been doing it for years and never crunched...

Jums
15-09-2008, 03:21 AM
flat shifting FTW !!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:ENOUGH SAID!!!

we tec
15-09-2008, 09:16 AM
get a tricked up auto!! hahaha

Limbo
15-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Box may need some TLC before trying it again.
Try changing to some better gearoil. Maybe some redline stuff.

Also i had this prob in another car. When i was also shifting at 9k. THe clutch doesn't want to disengage. I found out later that it was the pressure plate that couldn't handle the power and was not fully disengaging at 9krpm, if i shifted at about 8.7k it was fine, but anything above that the gear box didn't wanna budge. This was a new HD daikin clutch.

May need upgraded pressure plate (and clutch if your already there).

Hi Guys

Im having a problem Flatshifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd, im led to believe this is due to the clutch not disengaging and not allowing me to pop into gear, Has anyone one else had a problem like this? if so how did you overcome it, is it due to the clutch not disengageing and due to something else?
I got a b16a short gear ratio cable gearbox, and i shift at 9000 rpm