PDA

View Full Version : Battery dying problems

FAT VTI
09-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Hey guys,
couple of weeks ago I took out my headunit to see if the wires had come apart. they ended up being fine, however to get to the headunit i had to disconnect the hazard lights plug .
car-94 honda accord.

Anyways, I put everything back together and begun driving. after around 10minutes, I noticed my indicator was not flashing on my dash and so i just thought i forgot to connect the hazards back up.
I kept driving, then i started to hear somewhat of a buzzing noise when i tried to indicate.
I pulled over and stopped the car thinking i just didnt re-connect my hazards back together (plug on the back of the switch). i took the console apart to find the plug was on it properly. I then proceeded to try and start the car, it would not start, the power was being drained quite rapidly. (my interior light was dimming like it was a horror movie).
i tried to turn on my headlights and it made a buzzing noise from what i can best describe was inside the car, at the drivers footwell.
I then tried to click my hazards and the same buzzing noise came on again from the same position.
I tried to locate a blown fuse but they were all okay. By this time, the headlights would not turn on and basically nearly all power(except the interior light and door lights were on but dimmed)
I then thought it was my battery, so my mate came and we tried to jumpstart my car. in the process of doing this, the car would not start. the check battery light came on. while it was trying to be jumpstarted i was able to get enough power to turn on my radio and turn on my headlights (my interior light was also not dimming and remained a constant level).
As i couldnt start the car, i had to get it towed home, and its been untouched for a few weeks while i was busy doing exams.
So basically I just need a few places to start. i am pretty handy with cars, but at the moment the car has NO power, it has been drained in the past 2 weeks or so.
I am going to get hold of a battery charger, and then try some possible areas which it could be, e.g. replace relays etc.

If anyone could give me a few possible places to start it would be much appreciatted as i will be able to try it and see what happens.
Thanks alot.

IEVAQ8
09-09-2008, 05:32 PM
try the indicator, hazard lights, clicker module under the dash.........maybe that bl;ew or u shorted it with the plug from hazard switch with the stereo

Nax
10-09-2008, 10:16 AM
sounds to me like a cable is shorting somewere, check to see if in the process of moving things around any of the cords got frayed or misplaced, the buzzing noise is generally when something is being grounded. if it was coming from around ur pedals check down there.

im no expert but im pretty good with electronics.

JasonGilholme
10-09-2008, 10:20 AM
+1 for electircal short somewhere.

FAT VTI
10-09-2008, 05:25 PM
in thinking bout how to solve it, i put my hazards on then it made the buzzing sound, i pushed down the brake pedal softly or hard, it eliminates the noise.

I spose now i just work out whats being grounded there, see what other wires connect to the circuit and find the short.

thanks for responses.

Nax
10-09-2008, 05:29 PM
if the buzzing stops when u push the pedal, could be a cable in behind there somewhere, and the pressure from the pedal pushes the short away from wats grounding it, understand??

ide check down there for something, and if not, could always take it in and have it checked out

Spoon-Accord
11-09-2008, 01:18 AM
try disconnecting your headunit for starters

when u connect the dimmer for the headunit it short circuits and hazards and parker problem

try eliminating the problems by removing or disconnecting things you hve rescently installed

hope tha helps

( every little thing counts)

dahon
11-09-2008, 01:50 AM
yeah i agree with nax... probably a short somewhere there...
time to get out the multimeter! hehehe

either a stripped wire lying around somwhere (honda has dodgy thin as wires - well in my car anyways)
or maybe u spliced something and forgot to tape it up?

good luck on it buddy!

FAT VTI
11-09-2008, 09:44 AM
thanks guys, going to have to charge my battery to even start testing.
Will start doing it this weekend and try to find the short.
It goes to show how quickly a small short can drain ur power though.

FAT VTI
21-09-2008, 07:35 PM
hey guys,
just to conclude, it wasnt actually a short.

I had a few exposed wires, so after taking it all apart i taped them all off.

I finally got around to buying a car battery charger, and i tried to charge it and it came up charged straight away. anyways, after putting it back in and getting relays buzzing like crazy, i started to think why r they buzzing, instead of where r they buzzing (dont ask why, i like to know how shit happens lol).
googled it and basically learnt about relays, and how they can be stuck open or stuck closed if they do not have the right ampage passing through them. this was causing the buzzing in about 3 F**kn relays.
Anyways, after thinking about it for a day or two, i thought i should go check the battery as i was very puzzled why my brand new $30 charger said it was already charged when i could even hear the beeping when my door is open.
took it to repco, they checked it and it said replaced, im guessing a few dead cells coz it has some but barely NO charge.
bought a new battery, wired it all back up, no buzzing all good.

in conclusion- relays can buzz due to not enough ampage/power passing through.

hope this helps anyone in the future.