PDA

View Full Version : Sqeeky fan belt

MTX BOY
03-11-2003, 04:54 PM
I havent gone to mechanic yet so dont yell at me :lol: my civ has a squeeky fan belt, and ive heard that i should just replace it... but is there anything i can do, like tighten the altinator if thats the problem or put some lubrication on it (( 8) ) even though that would be only short term fix...????

Redteg
03-11-2003, 06:57 PM
There is a spray you can buy and it does quieten the belt(s) down. Just go to supercheap or any other parts shop and ask for it (sorry, i forget the name). If the belts look cracked, just replace them, you may as well. Check how much the belt deflects, there are specs to follow, use comon sense if you cant find them, and dont do it up too tightly.

Just so you know when you go to the auto parts shop, and I'll whisper this... (we dont have fan belts, hehe. We have electronic fans. Belts for power steering, alternator, and air con though (if you have those options).)

MTX BOY
03-11-2003, 08:25 PM
hahaha yeah thanx bro sorry for the fan belt call...my mate just said to write it :oops: but yeah ill do wat u said..thanx

Setanta
03-11-2003, 10:09 PM
The spray tends to spray black crap all over your engine bay and the squeal will be back soon enough (or you'll have the belt disintegrate like mine did on the Humo on the way to Melb). Just replace them... you'r car will love you for it :)