PDA

View Full Version : Eg8???

Tegzieboi_BAR
12-09-2008, 01:12 AM
How u doin guys...

1 of my mate's mate is selling his "EG8" Civic Sedan. Asking price is 5G but is willing 2 sell 2 my mate for 3G. As both these guys r clueless with cars i (mind u am no mechanic myself but i kno a bit) went along for an inspection 2 giv it a test drive etc. After looking under the bonnet i was a bit confused about wat sorta engine it actually is and all the compliance plates were scratched up n hard 2 read. All the info i managed 2 get was that its a "92 EG8" n is a 16V motor...

By the looks of it its a 1.5L Carby but was a carby like id never seen b4 (mind u i kno shit all about older engines) The car felt quite gutless but asif it was holding back. As far as we're told the spark plugs, leads etc were almost brand new. The motor sounded asif its low on oil but after havin a look the oil level was fine... black, but fine lol.

The car has done under 200 000ks n had been serviced regularly but has been sitting in the shed w/out gettin started 4 almost a month.

Just wondering what sorta model this actually is, what sorta motor it is n could i get some tips on what 2 look out 4 with these cars? Somethin i should pay a lil more attention 2. The car is almost competely stock except 4 a (crappy) exhaust system.

Thanks heaps guys, the price is very decent 4 a civic such as this (esp. in adelaide) so its hard 2 look past it but just wana find out what may b required 2 make it run a bit better. Obvioulsy a full service would b a good start.

Any feedback much appreciated!
Paul

trism
12-09-2008, 10:11 AM
pics lad, pics

SuiJin
12-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Sunroof - Possibly VTi for eg8

16 Valve Fuel Injected Engine

If so the car is gutless I drove one this morning. very disliked no power like my eg5 or eg6

bennjamin
12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
pretty sure the eg8 is the VEi civic - fuel saving engine that keeps the exhaust valves slightly oen to lean burn and save fuel or something. Not fast at all.

tRipitaka
12-09-2008, 11:45 AM
it's a GL Civic

dual carb
power windows
power mirrors
blue-ish kinda seats
grey dash
tacho on cluster

jspec civic
12-09-2008, 12:43 PM
eg8 jspec comes in a 1.5ltr efi d15b

bennjamin
12-09-2008, 12:56 PM
maybe but we are referring to the AUDM EG8.

anyone have a gl sedan in a EG , that can confirm with us all ?

Tegzieboi_BAR
12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
it's a GL Civic

dual carb
power windows
power mirrors
blue-ish kinda seats
grey dash
tacho on cluster

That sounds about rite, i dont think its VEi... the carby set up is very different 2 most i seen, it sits vertically where intake m/fold sits in B-series motors. It did hav a tacho + all the luxuries (no sunroof).

Has a blacktop engine unlike my other mates silver r/cover 1 who also has an EG8 (94 model i think) but i cant remember off the top of my head if his is efi or carb... but definitely goes harder than th 92 model.

So i guess its a GL. Im just tryin 2 figure out if the motor is pulling below its potential or thats the power its meant 2 make... any1 kno of potential issues with these models?

Tegzieboi_BAR
12-09-2008, 02:31 PM
ps. i dnt hav any pics. Maybe i'll get the owner 2 take a few n mms me or take some this w/end if i get a chance.

MM89
13-09-2008, 01:29 PM
there was two different types of carb setups on the EGs
1) side draught twin carb on the D15B found on GL's
2) down draught single carb on the D13 found on the Breeze

these motors don't pull that well, need to be driven hard to get
anywhere. you only have 72kw and around 55kw at your disposal.

SiGO
13-09-2008, 05:44 PM
If it looks like this under the hood then it is the Dual carb 1.5L, not a bad car overall as a daily driver but don't expect to be breaking and records in it.

http://www.users.on.net/~johnlukey/IMG_01191.jpg

MM89
14-09-2008, 12:07 AM
yeah man, all you need to do is take off the black lid where the air filter is.
remove the mesh covers from the carb throats, slap on 2 velocity stacks
and if you want put foam filters over them.

there you have a fun little car that'll sound like a CAI hissing upon throttle
and you'll hear a change almost sounding like vtec when you floor it :)

Tegzieboi_BAR
14-09-2008, 05:37 PM
If it looks like this under the hood then it is the Dual carb 1.5L, not a bad car overall as a daily driver but don't expect to be breaking and records in it.

http://www.users.on.net/~johnlukey/IMG_01191.jpg

Yeah boys, thats the 1, my mate's gna pick it up 4 peanuts. Prolly will require a good service.

Can any1 tell me the difference between a twin carb n a normal 1?

fabezzz
14-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Theres a single carb one its basically the same except with one less carb on it, then you have a fuel injected engine found in gli ,si ,vti

tRipitaka
14-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Theres a single carb one its basically the same except with one less carb on it, then you have a fuel injected engine found in gli ,si ,vti

you can't find a single carb in a sedan

fabezzz
14-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Yea i misread it i thought he was talking about a hatch lol.