PDA

View Full Version : Will dc2r shocks handle aftermarket spring rates?

DogAteCat
12-09-2008, 08:46 PM
As above, I'm thinking of lowering my car 2" +

Thinking about whether to get new sport shocks along with it or will my ~70,000kms shocks will be able to handle it?

bennjamin
12-09-2008, 08:49 PM
yes they will be able to handle lowering springs.

Sydsyd
12-09-2008, 10:08 PM
yes it will...i'm using DC2R stock shocks with tanabe lowering springs...much lower than stock, but still manages to clear lots of stuff...even when i have F&R lip and front lower arm bar and beaks tie bar at rear...

xntrik
12-09-2008, 10:16 PM
As above, I'm thinking of lowering my car 2" +

Thinking about whether to get new sport shocks along with it or will my ~70,000kms shocks will be able to handle it?

Yes but, the life of it will shorten depending on the spring rate.

bennjamin
12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
Yes but, the life of it will shorten depending on the spring rate.

not exactly true , the life of a shock is shortened when you use incorrectly mated ride height with spring rate....IE low but not stiff enough. If you use the correct spring rate for your "drop" then your shock life shouldnt suffer

Moya
18-12-2008, 02:39 PM
yes they will be able to handle lowering springs.

Hi Ben I was gonna PM you this but I thought I'd ask it in here so others can learn a thing or two.

I used to run the following setup but it was too bouncy, too low, too soft with an overall drop of 3.5". DC2 + DC2 Shocks + EG Superlows. Since reading this thread I believe the problem is that the EG Superlows on a DC2 actually dropped the car 3.5+". (ultralow)

If I take the same EG Superlow springs but put them on an EG with DC2R shocks, how do you think it will perform? Is it possible to say? My EG + DC2R suspension setup at the moment is really good. Performs great, but it's a tad high. Considering I got the EG Superlows in my garage doing nothing I thought I could throw them on. If they keep the same characteristics (firm, no bottoming out), but 1.5" lower, I'd be really happy.

bennjamin
18-12-2008, 03:21 PM
ill go out on a limb , and state the superlow springs will still be too soft compared to the DC2R springs. Even tho the DC2R shocks are apparently better internals (see firmer bound etc) they still wont feel fantastic. Id look at proper JDM lowering springs such as spoon , eibach etc that allow a small drop but keep firm