PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise when starting engine

jzdhgkd
13-09-2008, 02:03 AM
Hey guys! My car's making a weird noise when it starts up after sitting in the garage over night. It only happens on a cold start... it's like a sharp buzzing/grinding sort of noise that lasts for only a second.

I don't have the time to go to a mechanic to get it checked out at the moment (studying for exams -_-)

But yeah I was wondering if anyone else might have experienced something like this or might know where the problem may be coming from? Especially would like to know if it's anything serious I should get looked at right away!

Thanks thanks :D

vinnY
13-09-2008, 02:37 AM
one of your accessories belts are too loose

iinjektd
13-09-2008, 03:20 AM
i get that problem sometimes too with my car..
it sounds like my engine is spitting out shavings off metal..

really hard to explain the sound.. makes like a " kssshh kssshhh" sound..

onlinewarrior40
13-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I have a similar sound when I start my car (not sure if it's only when it's cold though). I am thinking it has something to do with the ABS as the ABS light stays on when this happens (and sometimes stays on after the sound goes away). I've been told that it's not an issue, but I guess I'll get it checked out one day. I'll attach the sound as soon as a capture it :)

onlinewarrior40
13-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Nope. Mine happens when it's warm also :(

Here you go:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOq_5CYE270

jzdhgkd
13-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Hmmm I guess they must be different problems if yours also happens when it's warm!

But thanks for the advice vinnY :D

TEE.KAY
14-09-2008, 11:41 AM
Ive got the same problem, but mine only happens sometimes, and usally on a cold start, no idea what it is. Ive been told it's not too serious, but dont quote me on that.

vinnY
14-09-2008, 11:47 AM
onlinewarrior40; sounds like your abs pump may be shagged?
jadhgkd/tee.kay; get someone to tighten your accessories belts first, it's like a 5 minute job
that is, if the noise is on startup and you get a loud SQUEALLLL then it stops after a couple seconds
the noise is the pulley spinning but the belt isn't moving at the same pace causing the squeal, it eventually catches on and stops

aaronng
14-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Sounds like the ABS pump in that vid.

onlinewarrior40
15-09-2008, 09:34 AM
claymore: Is there any easy way of checking this? If you're right, then that sounds like a bad thing, although the ABS problem sounds bad also :(
vinnY, aaronng: Thanks for your suggestions. A working ABS system isn't something I'd want to be without.

jzdhgkd, TEE.KAY: Does your problem sound the same, or is it a squeal, or ?

aaronng
15-09-2008, 11:02 AM
That one sounds like the starter gear is hanging in the flywheel teeth. And for the op if yours sounds like that too.

Our 94 Accord has this problem with the starter gear not disengaging off the flywheel after the engine is started, but that makes a medium pitched metallic screeching sound. Nothing like the sound in the vid.

T-onedc2
15-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree with Aaron on the ABS, my brothers' '96 DC2 with 150k does the same thing

TEE.KAY
15-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Mine doesnt really sound like the one in the vid, more how 'iinjektd' described it, like grinding metal, it lasts for about a second. And only happens about 1 in 5 startups? No idea.