PDA

View Full Version : buying a civic... maybe

85[H]accord
13-09-2008, 03:19 AM
Having looked for a new car for the last month or so, I am now looking at 2001-2006 civics... I have a couple I'm looking at, hopefully will be test driving a couple this weekend. now a few questions... (PS, am in Australia, please keep this in mind when sharing info/advice)

I am looking at both the sedan (GLi) and hatch (Vi)... I generally prefer the shape of a sedan/coupe... although at first i didnt like the sharp, flat tail of the sedan, it has definitely grown on me. But I am aware that there are differences in the engine (D17, i believe?), and that the hatch has something like an extra 11kw (15hp)... I have very little knowledge of the newer generations, so I have no idea what kind of cam/ecu/variable-valve-timing trickery is responsible for this. I'm also unsure of the dash mounted shifter (in my mind it would seem flimsy and awkward, and i wouldnt know what to do with my left hand most of the time, lol), but i guess driving it will be the only thing to do in this case. and finally i know there was an 04/05 facelift (on the sedan at least, hatch too??) and these are the ones i'd go for, the front end is much prettier... were there any other changes apart from the headlights and other minor cosmetic differences?

anything i should know about the vehicles, any links or helpful info, would be greatly appreciated. I'm not really a boy racer, but i like/need my cars to have some get up and go, and modifications i would be looking at would be stereo, wheels and uprated/lowered suspension, maybe a sports muffler (no cannon) or full catback exhaust system. once again, any input appreciated, and if you actually read all of this, good on you.

denot
13-09-2008, 10:02 AM
If you dont like the FDa, get EP3R mate :thumbsup: 7th Gen engine is... not that great IMO... but it still a good run around car... have one of them before, still love em

85[H]accord
13-09-2008, 10:28 AM
I'm 20 years old. So you're suggesting a car that would cost twice as much, as well as probably double my running costs, ie. insurance, fuel, service. besides, an extra pair of doors actually come in handy to me once in a while so, thanks but no thanks.

Re: the engine, I am wondering why Honda reverted back to the SOHC config?

denot
13-09-2008, 12:03 PM
^^^ ge... no need to be rude mate!!!! :thumbsdown: oh well I think you already made up your mine. gl with the purchase then...

85[H]accord
13-09-2008, 01:21 PM
sorry, i didnt mean to come off rude. And I still haven't decided on a car, but I'm looking for something closer to what i posted (10-15k, low km, small car). Trust me, I would love something with a bit of real gogo, but at my age, it doesn't make sense, and the truth is, I just cant afford it, especially with other plans i have for the next 12 months.

stylish.
13-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm in the same boat as you bro, 20 years old, wanting to buy my first car soon. Yes, more power is always good. I've considered buying an Integra Type R, CTR, S15... but realistically, you're gonna have to cough up more dough to cover insurance and maintainance to cover those type of cars.

Why not go 8th gen base model civic? Its brand new, no hassles and its a massive upgrade from the 7th gen.

85[H]accord
13-09-2008, 04:40 PM
still a bit too expensive, dont like the ufo styling, etc.

Omie
13-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Same here, i'm 20 at uni.. so im exactly rolling around in money but i still bought an 08 vti.. i pay $400 in insurance (full comp) with NRMA and hav a $2000 excess..
but if ur stuck on ur price range.. then u can only really get wat u can for the money u have.. so its more about wat u can find for the money you have and where u find it.. also.. why not look at something which already has the mods you want.. prob the best idea instead of spending an extra 5/10k on all the mods that you want.. but a car for an extra 3/4k with them all done.. or better yet just buy a new one.. and then reconsider what mods u really want.. imo why buy a 1.6/8L and then try beef it up.. ur not gonna get very far.. either go for looks or get a sport/type r.. purely my opinion..

cracker
13-09-2008, 07:05 PM
u said 06...06 is 8th gen are u a liar? :( :( :( this relationship is about trust

85[H]accord
13-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Same here, i'm 20 at uni.. so im exactly rolling around in money but i still bought an 08 vti.. i pay $400 in insurance (full comp) with NRMA and hav a $2000 excess..
but if ur stuck on ur price range.. then u can only really get wat u can for the money u have.. so its more about wat u can find for the money you have and where u find it.. also.. why not look at something which already has the mods you want.. prob the best idea instead of spending an extra 5/10k on all the mods that you want.. but a car for an extra 3/4k with them all done.. or better yet just buy a new one.. and then reconsider what mods u really want.. imo why buy a 1.6/8L and then try beef it up.. ur not gonna get very far.. either go for looks or get a sport/type r.. purely my opinion..

let me explain to you where all your financial logic falls to pieces.

a) if by 08 you mean brand new, you've lost thousands right there, the moment you bought it. namely the significant drop in value the moment you drove it away, and also with any extras that you opted for at the time.

b) if you mean bought, like with your own money, and you're a 20 year old uni student, then either you have the best part time job in the world, or you're financing. being that I'm quite sure it would the latter, there's a few thousand more you will lose in interest & fees, and then if you want to sell it in a couple of years and move on, as i probably will with mine, you will probably still owe money on it, making life somewhat difficult at the time... but if by bought you mean a present from mummy and daddy then good for you, unfortunately not all of us were born with silver spoons in our mouths.

c) i work for an insurance company, so i know all about variable excesses, but the thing is this... a $2000 excess usually translates to a 50% discount... so if you're paying $400, the discount is $400... considering you take an extra $1500 hit on excess, a claim in the next 3.75 years will negate any saving you made in the first place, and you'll be up for the cash then and there. also, you'd have a ~$400 age excess true??? I really dont want to be digging my pockets for $2.4k at the worst time possible. Although in the last 3 years I've never had an accident, it still doesn't really make any sense to me. even with a hefty discount, melbourne premiums are still pretty high. (somehow i doubt yours would only be 800 under your own name, but I dont know where you live etc)

and Re: the pre-modded car... not only is it unlikely to find a car that has been "adjusted" the way you would like, but it could also mean that the car has had a harder life. yeah, it's profiling, so what? we all know some stereotypes are true.

My plan, which i believe to be realistic and very achievable, is to finance around $6-8k, and have it paid off in 18-24 months, to avoid spending too much on my interest and account fees, and then owning the car outright. sure, other guys might have better/newer/faster/badder rides, but i can wait a year or 2 for something a bit more sporting... definitely not before i get back from my trip to europe, which will be mid next year.

So really, thanks for the advice, i appreciate the input and the effort, but I'm looking for more technical info/first hand experience, rather than unlikely alternatives.

NB. I've also started tto look at a few '99 EK sedans, because i could pretty much buy one outright (including the sale of my car), but I'm worried that the B16 wont have the extra torque I'm looking for, being the same displacement as my GA16.

85[H]accord
13-09-2008, 08:55 PM
u said 06...06 is 8th gen are u a liar? :( :( :( this relationship is about trust
you had me at cracker... you had me at cracker.

denot
13-09-2008, 11:00 PM
accord;1892237']

NB. I've also started tto look at a few '99 EK sedans, because i could pretty much buy one outright (including the sale of my car), but I'm worried that the B16 wont have the extra torque I'm looking for, being the same displacement as my GA16.

just a quick note on this, I think the 1.7L 7th gen is way crappier than the B16 on an EK. I dont think the 7th Gen have Vtec anyway

iLlusion10
14-09-2008, 04:20 AM
7th gen sedans don't have vtec, the 7th gen hatchbacks do though. Friend has a 7th gen sedan, good enough for getting from A to B and looks relatively nice..BUT in terms of modifying it, you'd probably be better off with an EK civic, they seem to have a lot more parts available and a more popular car to muck around with. if you want technical stats:
http://www.redbook.com.au/ is your friend there

Nesquickie
14-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm in the same boat as you bro, 20 years old, wanting to buy my first car soon. Yes, more power is always good. I've considered buying an Integra Type R, CTR, S15... but realistically, you're gonna have to cough up more dough to cover insurance and maintainance to cover those type of cars.

Why not go 8th gen base model civic? Its brand new, no hassles and its a massive upgrade from the 7th gen.

I am 20 and have a fn2r and trust me insurance isnt as much as you think if you put it under your dads name (or anyone that has a rating 1 for that matter) and you as nominated driver...it equates to about $900 all together $400 + $500 excess or someshit like that I can't remember...generally though if you go turbo then it would be more

markCivicVti
14-09-2008, 11:01 AM
b16 would flog a FD2. Sad... but true :(

cracker
14-09-2008, 07:28 PM
accord;1892243']you had me at cracker... you had me at cracker.

hahahaha whaat? lolololol:thumbsup:

clayton4115
15-09-2008, 01:22 PM
i have a 7 Gen and im over 10 years older than you! lol, yes good old man car, the 7th Gen, if you want me to rate my 7th Gen civic, i would give it a 9.5/10 as she is splendid to drive, but a boring drive for you young fellas!

denot
15-09-2008, 01:23 PM
^^^ couldnt agree more there clayton :thumbsup:

85[H]accord
15-09-2008, 02:43 PM
you blokes could be right, I've started looking at late EK sedans (facelifted), some nice examples w/ quite low km around, most already have a decent stereo sorted, and can probably save $3-4k in the process.

clem
18-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Hey mate, as an owner of an 05 Vi Hatch I can give you a little insight of how it is to own and drive one and the comparison between the GLi model. Jumping on www.redbook.com.au and doing a comparison will also help you with the more finer difference in detail.

The Vi hatch has v-tec (D17A2 SOHC engine) however its not the same v-tec as the DOHC hondas, its used for fuel economy rather than power, however they have tuned this engine to have a bit more power than the GLi which is a non-vtec (D17Z1 SOHC engine). So its a little faster than the GLi, but doubt it will beat an EK VTiR hatch (DOHC 116kw Vtec i belive).

From my experience, the Vi is a lot more fuel efficient due to the Vtec and LEV engine compared to the GLi, I have a friend who does about 450-500km's in a tank (Bear in mind its a 45L tank i think). My Vi does 650-670km a tank (50 or 55L tank not sure) on V-Power fuel.

Interior wise the GLi has grey interior whereas Vi has all black which is awesome :D

EK's interior is so dated, feels so old and cheap inside.

The dash mounted shifter is awesome, however it might take some time adjusting to, its very comfortable to change gears and faster to change because it is so close to the steering. It is certainly not flimsy, it has a good shift feel to it. The only problem i have with the Vi is the lack of center console storage.

GLi has 14" stock alloys and the later model Vi's have 15" alloys. Vi has more boot space and more legroom. If you are planning to modify your car I probably wouldnt go for a 7th gen civic as there aren't that many parts out there for our cars.

Ride quality is awesome on both cars compared to the likes of mazda 3's, mitsubishi lancers etc, acceleration is so much smoother and steering feels very responsive.

My family also has the 8th gen VTi, and compared to it, the Vi is more fuel efficient (just a bit), acceleration feels more responsive (because the 8th gen uses Drive-by-wire meaning it goes through a computer before giving you the power). Interior on the 8th gen is alot better, but the Vi still has more legroom and boot space. Steering wheel on the 8th gen is smaller so it feels sportier, it also has cruisecontrol as standard. 8th gen has electronic brake distribution 7th gen don't so the braking is more sensitive.

Oh yeah one more thing, not sure if this will matter to you or not, but if u look closer to the specs, the 7th gen GLi and 8th gen range are all MADE IN THAILAND. The Vi hatch is MADE IN JAPAN.

Hope this helps with your decision

NZFD2
19-09-2008, 08:35 AM
in an addition to clem ^, I used to own an 02 Vi and an 00 facelift EK GLi. I completely agree with what clem mentioned but just wanted to note that my Vi had a slightly harder suspension over the EK. And yeah the EK does have an 'outdated' feel in the dashboard although exterior wise, if modded cleanly, the EK has an edge.

If you're looking for large, roomy interior and boot then I haven't been in a spacier civic than the Vi.

85[H]accord
19-09-2008, 06:46 PM
thanks for all the info guys, turns out I'm probably going with a n15 SII SSS pulsar after all this (the car I've wanted all along really).

I just cant live with such a slow car any more.