PDA

View Full Version : [CU2] i-DTEC finally gets an automatic

Type R Positive
14-09-2008, 02:30 PM
i-DTEC Automatic Gearbox
Paris will also see the debut of Honda's new automatic gearbox for the i-DTEC diesel engine. This new gearbox has been developed in response to European customer demands for an automatic option for the 2.2 litre diesel. The new gearbox has been developed exclusively for the i-DTEC turbodiesel, in order to compliment its flexibility and broader spread of torque. Honda's thorough approach to engineering would not allow the use of a third party gearbox, which might compromise the effectiveness of its newest engine.

Great news! Finally Honda have developed the auto for the i-DTEC engine. I can't wait to take this baby for a spin! :)

tony1234
14-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Great news! Finally Honda have developed the auto for the i-DTEC engine. I can't wait to take this baby for a spin! :)
Might have to wait a few years.

Suntzu
14-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Hope it s 6 speed like most auto diesels now, even the crap epica has a 6 speed.

aaronng
14-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Hope it s 6 speed like most auto diesels now, even the crap epica has a 6 speed.

Diesels only need 4-5 ratios. They make their torque from 1000 to 4000rpm. No point keeping the diesel engine close to redline.

Suntzu
15-09-2008, 08:23 AM
Then why are all the current units ie. the VW DSG 6 speed, the Epica is 6 speed? With respect i think their engineers have some experience in this area to say the least. Not to mention the narrow rev band of a Turbo D.

Type R Positive
15-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Might have to wait a few years.
Hopefully next year. I don't think they will wait too long at all.
They already got the CU2 diesel model out in Europe. The reason why we missed out on it was because Honda Australia didn't want to make the same mistake as another manufacturer releasing a manual only diesel to the Australian public. Now that they have the auto developed, it shouldn't be too far away!

aaronng
15-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Then why are all the current units ie. the VW DSG 6 speed, the Epica is 6 speed? With respect i think their engineers have some experience in this area to say the least. Not to mention the narrow rev band of a Turbo D.

DSG's design of 2 final drives and 3 gears on each means you get a total of 6 gears. The base model of the DSG gets 6 gears as a result. There is a 7 gear DSG as well but only a few expensive cars use it.

Type R Positive
15-09-2008, 10:41 AM
There is a 7 gear DSG as well but only a few expensive cars use it.And have the power to justify it lol!