PDA

View Full Version : clutch question

mattchuej8
14-09-2008, 02:57 PM
My civic has done roughly 197,###kms on it.
And i never really noticed my clutch until i drive a few of my mates cars.
Their clutch, when u get to a certain point you can feel it lock on to something, (like two magnets)
where as my clutch i dont get that same feeling, im forced to puch mine all the way down to the floor.
Would this mean my clutch is worn?
im pretty sure it still has oem clutch.

Cheers..
i hope i made sense lol.

Elwood
14-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Your clutch always has to be on the floor when you disengage it?

Do you feel like its slipping when you change gears?

if its the standard OEM clutch after 197k id probably change it..

jeffreymui
14-09-2008, 04:31 PM
how much would a noirmal clutch cost? cas my teg's clutch is wearing out aswell

mattchuej8
14-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Your clutch always has to be on the floor when you disengage it?

yeah i know, but when i was in my mates cars, u get to a certain point in their clutch and the "magnetic" feeling kick in, like it automatically goes to the floor at a certain point.
Where as mine, i have to push pretty hard all the way down without the "magnetic" feeling ie. thighs are tensing quite hard, continuously all the way down.

Yeah i had a feeling it would be time to get it changed.

As for the slipping, im not to sure what that feelings like, like do u mean do i feel the gears kicking out or something?

im mad noob, i admit. lol.

aaronng
14-09-2008, 05:39 PM
It is not meant to magnetically pull itself to the floor
I think your friend's clutch has a problem too.

jeffreymui
14-09-2008, 06:06 PM
hey i think i know what u are talking about.....in fact i got the same feeling when i drive my mate's car.....their clutch is probably new and easier to step on and has the friction point...while our ones is just hard to step on and the friction point is harder to get..does it make any sound when i clutch in and out?

02gzm
14-09-2008, 06:20 PM
Check ur clutch fluid level if your engagement point is near the floor. Could be low

gheybo
14-09-2008, 11:04 PM
how much would a noirmal clutch cost? cas my teg's clutch is wearing out aswell

depends on what are you after,oem or aftermarket. Different brand is also different price

mattchuej8
15-09-2008, 11:16 AM
yeah it was a new civic and a dc5
so smooth/easy clutch.
I just dont know how to tell ur clutch is worn.
lol

VTECMACHINE
15-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Go on a flat ground. Put the car in 4th gear, and slowly pull the clutch up to friction point. If it grabs and the car stalls, the clutch is fine, if it starts rolling away... then it's an indication that the clutch needs replacing.

T-onedc2
15-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a heavy duty ceramic clutch with a lot of feel, I drove a newish Mazda 3 a while back and just about put my foot through the floor it was so soft with no indication of a friction point.

Every clutch feels different but if it still functions it's ok

Crapdaz
15-09-2008, 01:05 PM
you'll know when your car starts revving more and doesn't pull when engaging it.

Limbo
15-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Go on a flat ground. Put the car in 4th gear, and slowly pull the clutch up to friction point. If it grabs and the car stalls, the clutch is fine, if it starts rolling away... then it's an indication that the clutch needs replacing.

Rem to have the other foot on the brakes just incase it flies forward.
You don't have to let it go slowly, just drop the clutch and it stalls instantly then its still fine, if kinda revs then stalls on it own then its slipping.

But on 200k, when was the last time you change your clutch?
I'm mostly been able to get about 100k max out of my clutchs, some ppl only get like 5k, so all depends on how hard you drive your car.

hooyn
15-09-2008, 04:55 PM
thanks to this fred. i have to get new clutch
thanks again oh

mattchuej8
16-09-2008, 12:54 PM
oh man, im pretty sure its an oem clutch so it must be mad worn -_-
the buyer i bought it off didnt mention anything about getting clutch replaced/changed when i bought it at 170000kms. i totally forgot, farout.

Thanks for all the info.
ill try this 4th gear test :)

+1'ers