PDA

View Full Version : VTEC ISSUES in B18c7ek

marcoardeno
15-09-2008, 10:57 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ToOLx
15-09-2008, 11:02 AM
Question 1:
With the cold start's and RPM at 1,500 it should idle higher then normal between 1,500 - 2,000 RPM on a dead cold start the engine is warming itself up in doing so, once operating temperature is reached the idle will bring itself back down to 800 - 1000rpm.

Question 2:

for example after cold starting my car and taking it for a drive, vtec will NOT engage at all even after the gauge temperature reads as normal i.e. halfway

Sound's like your trying to hit VTEC whilst the engine is at operating temperature (2/3, or just below halfway engine temp), however other variables to consider such as Oil Temperature. If you are on a cold engine and flogging it, VTEC won't engage just high RPM's on low cam.

Which answers your question regarding VTEC engaging all the time once the engine is heated up. (Because the temperatures have been given a chance to reach the required operating temperatures)

It will take a good 10 - 20mins of driving to bring everything up to temperature and be ready for VTEC engagement. Depending on what rev's and load you are putting on the engine in the early stages.

EDIT: Maybe to leaniant on the time to warm up :P

SiReal
15-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Well Ive tried vtec after even 10 mins of driving and it doesnt work. so i just dont vtec it until its full warm - usually after 20 mins of driving, or idle.

barefootbonzai
15-09-2008, 11:19 AM
That's some weird stuff right there. Maybe your temp sensor is on it's way out, cause the one to your cluster is different to the one the ecu reads.

ECU-MAN
15-09-2008, 01:56 PM
I recon the mechanic that worked on your car may have put the jack under the sump to jack the engine up and down while working on it and posibly dented the sump, this affect oil pickup to the strainer and VTEC wont work

check the sump for dents.

best check the oil pressure while driving to see if its pulsating and to see if its correct

Limbo
15-09-2008, 02:44 PM
That's some weird stuff right there. Maybe your temp sensor is on it's way out, cause the one to your cluster is different to the one the ecu reads.

Either that or the ECU has got some issues, got a friend to borrow to test?

dslt
15-09-2008, 07:03 PM
i had the exact same problem with my jdm dc2r. The car will be warm but vtec will still not kick in, even after 20-30 minutes of driving. Im not sure if this will help, but i got my thermostat changed, and it was all good.

delsol9000rpms
15-09-2008, 07:47 PM
i rekon its a faulty tps... check that yours is working correctly coz that could cause the vtec to kick in when ever it feels like it

gambate
15-09-2008, 10:53 PM
VTEC always works for me, even when i had faulty thermostat (did not fully closed when cold kind of faulty) , still work with only 50-60 degree of water temp. (had used 5W-30 and 0W-40 before i had my thermostat changed too)
my 2 cents.

marcoardeno
15-09-2008, 11:47 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

marcoardeno
16-09-2008, 09:28 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ECU-MAN
17-09-2008, 04:59 PM
slightly might be engough

marcoardeno
20-09-2008, 02:39 PM

aaronng
20-09-2008, 02:48 PM
ECT sensor probably. I had a friend who had to disconnect the ECT sensor, start his car, wait til it reached operating temperature and then reconnect the ECT sensor. If he didn't do this, VTEC wouldn't engage. Was also a EK1 with B-series swap.

rawr
20-09-2008, 02:55 PM
^^^

Was this nad's car?

aaronng
20-09-2008, 02:56 PM
^^^

Was this nad's car?

Nope, was my friend's car.

jdmTYPE R
20-09-2008, 03:32 PM
is it a jdm b18cr ecu or ozzy spec ecu??? coz on a b18c7 with a jdm itr ecu will will idle high.. check your tps....

marcoardeno
20-09-2008, 04:01 PM

jdmTYPE R
20-09-2008, 10:10 PM
i dont know why it idle hi with jdm itr ecu but it always happens on a b18c7.. but on a jdm b18c its fine...nah idle stayed high even on the normal temp...u can try turning the idle screw on the throttlebody see if that helps

marcoardeno
21-09-2008, 12:28 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ECU-MAN
21-09-2008, 12:54 PM
1.5k rpm cold and 900rpm hot is normal for the JDM itr ecu.

link below will help you find and test your ect

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67460

marcoardeno
30-09-2008, 05:11 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

VTec1987
30-09-2008, 06:23 PM
how do you know vtec isnt working?, i know for a fact when vtec doesnt work, engine light should go on straight away or goes on when you reach vtec point.

vtec sound is also based on the load of the engine, you cant always depend on it, the sound of vtec can vary.
why don't you read the DIY to do the vtec light, that will tell u for sure if its working or not.
Hope that helps man

marcoardeno
01-10-2008, 12:32 AM

ECU-MAN
01-10-2008, 09:12 AM
thats a big ass dent, you will want to take the sump off and knock it back out. You migt get your VTEC back

ECU-MAN
01-10-2008, 09:14 AM
how do you know vtec isnt working?, i know for a fact when vtec doesnt work, engine light should go on straight away or goes on when you reach vtec point.

not really. thats not an acurate statment

you can have a mechanical fault and the ECU knows it has enabled power to the VTEC Sol, but there is no VTEC oil Pressure switch so the ECU wont know if VTEC engaged or not. so as far as the ECU is concerned everything is OK. but its not.

SINISTR
01-10-2008, 10:05 AM
if its not a sump issue could it be an intermittent earth to a sensor?

barefootbonzai
01-10-2008, 10:42 AM
can't be mechanical problem if he reckons everything works fine when a PFC is plugged in.

Perhaps your knock sensor is screwed and sending crazy shit to your stock ecu where the PFC is probably ignoring knock counts.

ECU-MAN
01-10-2008, 10:47 AM
can't be mechanical problem if he reckons everything works fine when a PFC is plugged in.

Perhaps your knock sensor is screwed and sending crazy shit to your stock ecu where the PFC is probably ignoring knock counts.

if knock sensor was at fault the ecu would pick it up and spit a code

barefootbonzai
01-10-2008, 11:57 AM
well yeah, it could really be anything. need to plug something in like a s300 so you can read the datalogs and see what's happening.

ECU-MAN
01-10-2008, 02:41 PM
what he needs to do is check the oil pressure

dumped echo
03-10-2008, 06:38 PM
Well...after i swapped a b16b into friends 96 vti sedan we had the same problem. Idle is high...then after a while you yurn it off and back on and the idle will fix itself. Also vtec didn't kick in. After swapping the ecu vtec worked but still had idle issue.

It was ages ago now so can't remember the details. From what i remember, we ran a wire directly to the ecu from the ECT just to see if that was the problem and according to my friend the problem was fixed (but i wasn't convinced). So it seems like there was a short or a cut wire along the ECT wire somewhere in the harness.
Anyway he hasn't complained about it for a long time. Now he just complains about his fuel consumption, but that's just a dodgy tune i think.

marcoardeno
04-10-2008, 03:08 PM