PDA

View Full Version : engine stuttering after starting

migoreng
15-09-2008, 05:49 PM
when i start it up in the mornings i can hear the engine/exhaust stutter a few times in a second then everything is fine.

after starting the car idles and drives fine...

is it fuel filter? slightly blocked injectors?

all the sparks are new, and fluids are all okay.
stuff like battery/dizzy condition..i have no clue..
will it cost much for an electrician/mech to test and tell me what the prob is?

vinnY
15-09-2008, 05:59 PM
yeah check the fuel filter, supposed to be changed every 40,000k's or something i heard?
check for cracks on the dizzy cap and make sure your spark plug cables are in good condition

migoreng
15-09-2008, 07:20 PM
hmm cool

i've done all the basic stuff except fuel filter and valve adjustments...so hopefully my car should start smoother after i get that done...
then gotta do timing belt in another 2 months or so. hopefully after all that oil changes should keep my car running for another year or two without too much problems!!!
:P

hmm dizzy and spark leads? i have no idea about the condition so i might have to get my mech to look quickly for me next time.

g_kn
15-09-2008, 09:20 PM
Fuel filter or Fuel pump, Doubt its the Dizzy

migoreng
09-12-2008, 10:18 PM
just wondering about this again.
still happening a little on the mornings. usually warm starts are smoother but sometimes the engine feels abrupt starting..
most engines i see usually rev to 2000rpm and smoothly drop down in revs
could it be dirty injectors?
fuel filter and valve adjustments have been done already.

i was thinking maybe it's my oil which ismagnatec 10w40. it has done 5500km and i'm gonna change to another type. may be the 'magnetic' stuff is not good for the h22a? lol

but i'm pretty sure the stuttering happened even when the oil only did 3000-4000km

night_wolf
09-12-2008, 10:42 PM
just wondering about this again.
still happening a little on the mornings. usually warm starts are smoother but sometimes the engine feels abrupt starting..
most engines i see usually rev to 2000rpm and smoothly drop down in revs
could it be dirty injectors?
fuel filter and valve adjustments have been done already.

i was thinking maybe it's my oil which ismagnatec 10w40. it has done 5500km and i'm gonna change to another type. may be the 'magnetic' stuff is not good for the h22a? lol

but i'm pretty sure the stuttering happened even when the oil only did 3000-4000km

alright then! first of its definetly your fuel filter. it could be blocked and hence your issue. during warm days you shouldnt have this issue due to termal expansion on your lines and the quick flow of fuel. its worth changing your fuel filter and trust me it makes a difference.

when it comes to oils its a hard choice but magnatec is pretty good stuff y0 :thumbsup: motul oils are good but then again a little over rated for me. LOL my advice on oils is simple. pick a good oil for the car. make sure you get a thin oil depending on how you run your car. when picking the oil check the viscocity of the oil after warming up. eg: 10w40 the viscosity before heating up is 10 and after heating up is 40 which is most important to consider. in Vtec you dont really want a high viscocity oil you want a low viscocity oil to keep things smooth. talk to the reps before you buy the oil and tell them if you drive mostly on high revs or low revs and they shall assist you with the best oil for the engine.

hope the info helps. :honda:

migoreng
09-12-2008, 11:04 PM
pick a good oil for the car. make sure you get a thin oil depending on how you run your car.

cheers

my fuel filter was changed like a month ago so it can't be that. the morning after the change i didn't notice any improvements.

yeah i know the basics about oils. my kms are high (180k) so i want to stay with a 10w40 oil.
people say FEO 10w30 will be fine but i dunno..it's summer now.

edit: just to confirm the stuttering i'm talking about is from the moment you turn the key til when the car idles.
so 0rpm to 2000rpm stutters, then it drops to idle rpm (~1500rpm on cold starts or 800-1000rpm on warm starts)

also the car doesn't seem to start he same everytime. when warm the revs usually jump to 2000rpm then drops to idle..other times it might just go from 0rpm to ~1100rpm
it sounds like a fuel delivery issue so that's why i think clogged injectors?

or could it be something compeltely different like a dying distributor/battery?

vinnY
09-12-2008, 11:12 PM
throttle plate getting stuck? hit it with some carby cleaner