PDA

View Full Version : Installing Distributor

fletty
15-09-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey guys, i hope this is the right section.

i need to install a new (well second hand) distributor on me eg. d15b.
i have the day off tomorrow so i was just going to do it myself, is it an easy job? or should i leave it to my mechanic?

any help would be much appreciated.

cheers nathan

dsp26
15-09-2008, 08:15 PM
if you don't have a timing light to reset timing then leave it to mech.. although you can always 'etch' your dizzy + adjuster point.

otherwise pretty straight forward

bennjamin
15-09-2008, 08:52 PM
not really that hard...mark a line across the top bolt point with a texta or whatnot - tke dizzy off , line up with new one and use a ruler etc to mark the line on teh same position. Install the new dizzy at the exact same point. tighten the 3 12mm bolts and you are away.

dsp26
16-09-2008, 12:46 PM
not really that hard...mark a line across the top bolt point with a texta or whatnot - tke dizzy off , line up with new one and use a ruler etc to mark the line on teh same position. Install the new dizzy at the exact same point. tighten the 3 12mm bolts and you are away.

lol thats what i meant.. choice of words sooo much bett4r!!!!

ECU-MAN
16-09-2008, 02:35 PM
dont do it unless you have a timing light, putting on a dizzy in the same location the old one was doesnt mean its in the right spot. you really need a timing light to have it set right.

dsp26
16-09-2008, 05:42 PM
^^^agreed with that.. but surely it's ok if he was originally set at the stock position.. i can't imagine a casting so bad though that it'd be out more than 2*deg on a 2nd hand oem item...

although i will be using a timing light when i put my ebay special in lol

ECU-MAN
16-09-2008, 05:49 PM
changing a timing belt requires timing to be reset , so the fact you loosen the housing from the head is enough to redo it with a light.

the casting isnt the issue its the shaft inside the dizzy and the angle the sensors drivers are pressed onto the shaft as well as the shampher for the rotor button.

fletty
16-09-2008, 06:28 PM
thanks for the help guys, im going to leave it for my mechanic lol save all the hassles.

bennjamin
16-09-2008, 08:13 PM
yup good point John, to be 100% sure everythings peachy you need a timing light as above.