PDA

View Full Version : Resonator

Dursty
16-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Hi, relatively new to these forums, just wondering if anyone has taken out the resonator from a 90' Accord? and what gains it has?

Cheers

saikou27
16-09-2008, 04:34 PM
i did this recently on my civic and i had some decent gains not only in sound but in the low to mid range aswell. the accord should be the same

CB7_OWNER
16-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Whats the reason for taking it out? Where you after performance or a sound? Cause honestly.. The f22a9 only has soo much potential, and taking out an resonator won't do much . I've got custom 2" catback, with a so called " sports resonator". And i don't feel any noticeable gains...

I was actually planning to leave the resonator out as well, but the local exhaust dude, recommended me not too, because it will make the exhaust note raspy.

What exhaust system do you have now? Stock? Would not recommend you waste time or money taking out the resonator on a stock system.

Dursty
16-09-2008, 06:12 PM
yea im only running a stock setup and got the idea from a couple mates who took out their resonators (96' Integra and Civic 98')
stock exhaust only..thinking about a better sound though so considered the resonator..
best ideas?

rbk_212
16-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Whats the reason for taking it out? Where you after performance or a sound? Cause honestly.. The f22a9 only has soo much potential, and taking out an resonator won't do much . I've got custom 2" catback, with a so called " sports resonator". And i don't feel any noticeable gains...

I was actually planning to leave the resonator out as well, but the local exhaust dude, recommended me not too, because it will make the exhaust note raspy.

What exhaust system do you have now? Stock? Would not recommend you waste time or money taking out the resonator on a stock system.

i think youve mistaken his post as talking about the rsonator in your exhaust. exhaust resonators only change the pitch of the note, they arent for performance

he's talking about the intake resonator which is a huge box stifling many intakes... like mine until i yanked it out..

saikou27
16-09-2008, 07:00 PM
i think dursty is talkin bout the intake resonator. the sports resonator is an exhaust resonator which causes less back pressure in the system

CB7_OWNER
16-09-2008, 07:18 PM
@ rbk_212..Resonators definately change the note... but a stock resonator from Honda vs an aftermarket resonator deisgned to be more free flowing is what provides the performance gains, But as i mentioned the gains are almost negligible for our car's and stock system.

Where you from Dursty? I like your DP =)

Other alternatives, depending on your budget is just get a new muffler/axelback thats if its just the sound your after. Which may only set you back around $150?

Dursty
16-09-2008, 07:26 PM
@ rbk_212..Resonators definately change the note... but a stock resonator from Honda vs an aftermarket resonator deisgned to be more free flowing is what provides the performance gains, But as i mentioned the gains are almost negligible for our car's and stock system. .and he aint talking about the intake resonator because he specifically mentioned the exhaust in his second post. ....

Where you from Dursty? I like your DP =)

Other alternatives, depending on your budget is just get a new muffler/axelback thats if its just the sound your after. Which may only set you back around $150?

Nah rbk was right, my mistake.. i am talking about the intake resonator in regards to getting a better engine sound and increased inflow..
From melbourne

CB7_OWNER
16-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Oooo.. yeah.. Thats easy as then...yeah the engine note is slightly better..increase airflow..(negligible)

Um.....Lets see.....the intake resontator is on the front left part of the engine bay, behind the battery.

Unbolt the bolts that hold the rectangularly shaped black box(filter is inside this)....And you will find that there are ( from vague memory 2 pipes that run into the filter box, not including the really big piping that connects to the intake manifold; that is held onto the pipe with a hose clamp)..

When you locate these 2 pipes, which are about 1.5" in diameter i think.. Just rip them out, with a little force...i remember clearly part of the piping is connect to the left part of the car's chassis..

The easier option is just to rip out the pipes straight out when you have located them, but it makes the job slightly easier by unbolting the filter box first..

If you want a even more louder induction sound, remove the filter box completely and just wack a pod filter on the end of the intake arm....This is illegal though...soo yeah..

Dursty
16-09-2008, 07:47 PM
cheers CB7..
yea, might have to sway away from a pod filter at this stage..
also found another thread that relates to fifth gen (sadly not fourth, although doesnt seem to be much difference)
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16171&highlight=resonator

thanks all