PDA

View Full Version : Camber Kits

tuppelo
17-09-2008, 11:19 AM
All,
I was wondering if anyone has installed camber kit on their CD5s?
How much did you pay for your kit? How much was the installation itself?
Where did you do it? Has it made any changes to your car regarding handling?
My tyres are wearing pretty badly from the inside and I hate it..It is not worth for me to get a good set of tyres as I cannot see all the benefits of it...

I went to Pedders and they quoted me $1300 which is kind of expensive if you ask me...there are numbers of kits selling on eBay for under $100.....

Zdster
17-09-2008, 11:23 AM
All,
I was wondering if anyone has installed camber kit on their CD5s?
How much did you pay for your kit? How much was the installation itself?
Where did you do it? Has it made any changes to your car regarding handling?
My tyres are wearing pretty badly from the inside and I hate it..It is not worth for me to get a good set of tyres as I cannot see all the benefits of it...

I went to Pedders and they quoted me $1300 which is kind of expensive if you ask me...there are numbers of kits selling on eBay for under $100.....

1. Ebay = :zip: unless it is a brand name kit
2. Have you had a wheel balance yet and adjusted the toe as close to zero as you can get? If not then DO THIS FIRST.

tuppelo
17-09-2008, 11:57 AM
1. Ebay = :zip: unless it is a brand name kit
2. Have you had a wheel balance yet and adjusted the toe as close to zero as you can get? If not then DO THIS FIRST.

No one is mentioning toe adjusting as they are saying that is not possible and there are no adjustments as such....

On my Silvia, they have done it without using a camber kit..Not sure who to see to have it done??? Any recommendations?

Zdster
17-09-2008, 11:59 AM
No one is mentioning toe adjusting as they are saying that is not possible and there are no adjustments as such....

On my Silvia, they have done it without using a camber kit..Not sure who to see to have it done??? Any recommendations?

Go to a good tyre shop. Toe wears tyres much faster than camber.

Crapdaz
17-09-2008, 12:30 PM
Go to a good tyre shop. Toe wears tyres much faster than camber.

agreed,

get your tyre shop to fix it soon, and camber kits shouldn't cost that much only like say $150-250.

and also note adjusting the toe affects your camber too and vice versa only slightly.

Element12
17-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I was gonna do a camber kit on my cd5, but its just the wear and tear on tyres i just dont wanna sacrifice for the good handling.

tuppelo
17-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I was gonna do a camber kit on my cd5, but its just the wear and tear on tyres i just dont wanna sacrifice for the good handling.

But that is one of the reasons I would love to have a camber kit as handling is crap..I am driving on the edge of my tyres therefore cannot be good....

CB7_OWNER
18-09-2008, 11:08 AM
You see...the reason negative camber within certain degree , around (1-3)(not 100% sure) is good for cornering is because when you take a corner...

For example a left corner.. normally with 0 camber your tyre would look like this.. \-\(this is exaggerated, but the left wheel will not entirely touch the ground in a flat manner)....whereas if you had some camber on the left wheel, then the wheel will tend to "straighten out" like |-\.....resulting in a more flat contact patch area for traction etc..

Sorry if i wasn't clear...but yeah... thats why camber on the driving wheels in your case the front wheels..provide better traction than wheels with 0 camber.

You can fix the camber on the rear of the cd5 with washers, by pushing out the upper control arm. If your interested , just google, "honda camber washer trick"...and you will see alot of threads, with DIY's on how to fix it...

O another thing,, if your drop is around 2" front(should give about -2-2.5 camber) and rear.. dont bother with a camber kit, time and money can be spent elsewhere...As many other people said, its the toe that effects tyre wear the most, unless your car has a crazy drop..

53XDJ
19-09-2008, 10:01 AM
my camber was really bad when i first got my car lowered.. i went through a new set of tyres in 5000ks

i bought front and rear camber kits for my car off ebay. got them installed by professionals who did the wheel alignment too. everything is fine now. i got even tyre wear on a slammed ride.

100 bucks for front and rear, shipped.

tuppelo
19-09-2008, 09:00 PM
my camber was really bad when i first got my car lowered.. i went through a new set of tyres in 5000ks

i bought front and rear camber kits for my car off ebay. got them installed by professionals who did the wheel alignment too. everything is fine now. i got even tyre wear on a slammed ride.

100 bucks for front and rear, shipped.

Which one did you get? Who was the seller? How much did you pay for installation? Where did you do it?

Any photos of your car after camber was installed?

Feverpitched
20-09-2008, 05:08 AM
You need to get a kit for the front.

For the rears you can do ye olde longer bolt + washer trick.

I haven't changed my camber at all since my lowering, but then again, mine's not really that low.

Element12
21-09-2008, 12:42 PM
I remember awhile go seeing a post about camber kits on www.accordtuner.com if you wanna check that out, i think its in the DIY section of the forum, if that helps.

FAT VTI
21-09-2008, 03:12 PM
camber kit is probably a good option.
If u go to a tyre shop, make sure u get a 4 WHEEL THRUST ALIGNMENT! if u only get the fronts or rears, the toe will not be corrected to 0.
I have a cd5 with around a 3inch drop. my camber is between -2.5 and -3
as my wheel shop said, its the same amount of camber as mark skaife.

cb7 owner has a good point, this is what v8 supercars have.

onto camber kits, I didnt get one because my tyres were about 100-120 each.
I have 18inch wheels, and my tyres are 215/35/18. The sole reason i didnt get a camber kit was because-
1) too much money at the time
2) with low profile tyres (35) i thought it probably isnt worth it.
My solution-
flip your tyres making the inside edge the outside and the outside the inside when they get bad. I just did mine, can't really remember how many km's is suggested but it depends on ur amount of camber.
So basically im probably getting at least 80% of the wear from my tyres. which isnt bad considering a -2.5 to -3 inches.
i do take it to the extreme though and wait till they are pretty bald before i flip em, but it costs me like...$40 to flip all 4 so im not complaining.
Still thinking of getting a camber kit after my next set of tyres.

Zdster
21-09-2008, 04:07 PM
If u go to a tyre shop, make sure u get a 4 WHEEL THRUST ALIGNMENT! if u only get the fronts or rears, the toe will not be corrected to 0.

So according to this, if I go into a tyre store and ask for an alignment you are telling me they wont adjust the toe? Thats just plain wrong. :o :zip:

tuppelo
21-09-2008, 05:35 PM
camber kit is probably a good option.
I have a cd5 with around a 3inch drop. my camber is between -2.5 and -3
as my wheel shop said, its the same amount of camber as mark skaife.

cb7 owner has a good point, this is what v8 supercars have.

onto camber kits, I didnt get one because my tyres were about 100-120 each.
I have 18inch wheels, and my tyres are 215/35/18. The sole reason i didnt get a camber kit was because-
1) too much money at the time
2) with low profile tyres (35) i thought it probably isnt worth it.
My solution-
flip your tyres making the inside edge the outside and the outside the inside when they get bad. I just did mine, can't really remember how many km's is suggested but it depends on ur amount of camber.
So basically im probably getting at least 80% of the wear from my tyres. which isnt bad considering a -2.5 to -3 inches.
i do take it to the extreme though and wait till they are pretty bald before i flip em, but it costs me like...$40 to flip all 4 so im not complaining.
Still thinking of getting a camber kit after my next set of tyres.

You cannot just flip them around as you are suggesting as most of the tyres made these days are directional tyres so if you turn them other way around they make your car becomes noisy as a truck..unnecessary to say that your safety is severely jeopardized .... good luck driving on wet

FAT VTI
21-09-2008, 06:48 PM
So according to this, if I go into a tyre store and ask for an alignment you are telling me they wont adjust the toe? Thats just plain wrong. :o :zip:

firstly, they SHOULD adjust it if you get a 4 wheel alignment and ur car is lowered, I've never had them not do it because thats basically one of the main reasons for a wheel alignment.
remember to get a 4 wheel thrust alignment, otherwise your toe wont be set.
beaurepairs is a decent place for wheel alignments, $45 or so. cheapest i could find. they all use the same machine so dont be too worried about going to the chains.

You can not just flip them around as you are suggesting as most of the tyres made these days are directional tyres so if you turn them other way around they make your car becomes noisy as a truck..unnecessary to say that your safety is severely jeopardized .... good luck driving on wet

When they flip my tyres, they flip it on the same wheel, then mount it on the other side.
go see your tyre shop and ask em how else they flip tyres if they're all directional.

So in answer to your theory, My direction is not changed, and my car handles very well in the wet. As for noisy, the hole in my exhaust, along with some tunes makes up for the near impossible noise I can hear coming from my tyres after my direction stays the same. Like a truck? I dont think so mate.

thanks for wishing me good luck in the wet, good luck with your camber issues:p

tuppelo
22-09-2008, 09:33 AM
firstly, they SHOULD adjust it if you get a 4 wheel alignment and ur car is lowered, I've never had them not do it because thats basically one of the main reasons for a wheel alignment.
beaurepairs is a decent place for wheel alignments, $45 or so. cheapest i could find. they all use the same machine so dont be too worried about going to the chains.

When they flip my tyres, they flip it on the same wheel, then mount it on the other side.
go see your tyre shop and ask em how else they flip tyres if they're all directional.

So in answer to your theory, My direction is not changed, and my car handles very well in the wet. As for noisy, the hole in my exhaust, along with some tunes makes up for the near impossible noise I can hear coming from my tyres after my direction stays the same. Like a truck? I dont think so mate.

thanks for wishing me good luck in the wet, good luck with your camber issues:p

aaronng
22-09-2008, 01:02 PM

So what do they do when you bring a stock car to get an alignment done but don't ask for a "4-wheel thrust alignment"? The only thing you can adjust on a stock car is toe.

FAT VTI
22-09-2008, 03:05 PM
So what do they do when you bring a stock car to get an alignment done but don't ask for a "4-wheel thrust alignment"? The only thing you can adjust on a stock car is toe.

im not disagreeing with you aaronng, that sentence was in context with the guy who orignally asked the question due to his camber issues as his car IS lowered. That line was more in relation to a front wheel alignment as opposed to a 4 wheel thrust alignment, and he asked the question of whether or not they adjust toe when you get a wheel alignment. Ofcourse they adjust toe when u get a front wheel alignment, however only with the front wheels. Sorry if i wasn't clear enough there, but i thought it was pretty obvious that if u only get a front wheel alignment your rear toe won't be touched.

As for your last line "the only thing you can adjust on a stock car is toe"
so what your saying is, if you want a wheel alignment on a stock car, the only thing you'll go there for is to adjust the toe?
What about the caster and centering the steering. Most people who do not know what a wheel alignment is, will normally get one because their steering wheel is not centred properly. Please tell me if i misinterpreted.
a great website for anyone who wants to know what wheel alignment are and how they work, what they do and what's good or bad for your car, this is an excellent reference- http://www.familycar.com/alignment.htm#Cas

JasonGilholme
22-09-2008, 03:18 PM
since when could you adjust the rear toe??

AFAIK we can only adjust the camber at the rear (once you have a camber kit)

aaronng
22-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Sorry if i wasn't clear enough there, but i thought it was pretty obvious that if u only get a front wheel alignment your rear toe won't be touched.
Ahh, I see. I agree with you 100% on this.

As for your last line "the only thing you can adjust on a stock car is toe"
so what your saying is, if you want a wheel alignment on a stock car, the only thing you'll go there for is to adjust the toe?
That is how it has been with the majority of stock Hondas.

What about the caster and centering the steering. Most people who do not know what a wheel alignment is, will normally get one because their steering wheel is not centred properly.
You can't adjust/alter castor without a castor kit or by doing other weird and wonderful things like installing an arm upside down. As for centering the steering, that is done through toe adjustment. If your steering wheel was pointing to the right when driving straight, then all they do is to add toe in on the left front wheel and add the equal amount of toe out on the right wheel, so that your steering wheel points straight when you are driving straight. This is the way to do it unless you have messed with the steering rack before, which resulted in a non-centered steering wheel (meaning your toe is centered but the rack isn't). You'd fix this by adjusting the steering rack instead because you want to preserve the left and right-toe relationship so you don't end up with a reduced ability to turn in one direction because of suspension movement limits.

aaronng
22-09-2008, 03:30 PM

You can on the Euro with stock suspension.

FAT VTI
22-09-2008, 03:41 PM
AFAIK we can only adjust the camber at the rear (once you have a camber kit)
question answered.
You can't adjust/alter castor without a castor kit or by doing other weird and wonderful things like installing an arm upside down. As for centering the steering, that is done through toe adjustment. If your steering wheel was pointing to the right when driving straight, then all they do is to add toe in on the left front wheel and add the equal amount of toe out on the right wheel, so that your steering wheel points straight when you are driving straight. This is the way to do it unless you have messed with the steering rack before, which resulted in a non-centered steering wheel (meaning your toe is centered but the rack isn't). You'd fix this by adjusting the steering rack instead because you want to preserve the left and right-toe relationship so you don't end up with a reduced ability to turn in one direction because of suspension movement limits.

Understood. Thats sort of what i mean with the thrust alignment, and the whole "toe in adjustment". Wasnt sure how the centred steering was interelated with the toe. Either way, i think if anyone has a question about wheel alignment have a look at that website coz it will probably answer ur question. If not ask aaronng :p thanks mate

JasonGilholme
22-09-2008, 03:45 PM
oops. didn't realise it was for a euro.

I only know about EG/EK/DC chassis lol

typesaccord
15-04-2009, 11:24 PM
i myself have been looking for camber kits for my cd5 , the only joy has been pedders at $245 per side (not fitted)even the sales person said it was way over priced ,i agree total rip off , i have asked the guys at mod project to try and find my something , as they only sell the arm with ball joint type and i have not found any like this for 94-97 accords , you can get an ajustable balljoints for your stock arm and there is the other type that replaces the bolts/bushs that mount your arm to the body (2 per side) these are the way to go as they are the same as used on tegs dc2 civics and crx , because you are using the stock arms , ingalls and spc seem to be the best brands from my own reserch