PDA

View Full Version : Magnaflow - Is this a Mid Muff or Reso??

dsp26
17-09-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=7594

Is the above a mid muffler or resonator?

At the bottom it says "Click here to add a tip" so i'm guessing this can be used as an end muffler or is one??

anyone use one?

Nepolian
17-09-2008, 10:05 PM
I'd its a resonator/mid muffler. Too long for anything else!

bennjamin
17-09-2008, 10:07 PM
yup its 22 inches long -too long for your over axle part.
why not get the oval style magnaflow? ive had one on the eg and it sounded decent

dsp26
17-09-2008, 10:08 PM
but is it a reso or mid muffler?

their different.. mid mufflers actually having muffling whereas resonators are just the stupidest invention to reduce resonance and deepen exhaust tone.... useful for cars with buzzing though...

i'm after an actual mid muffler as i want to go back to some sort of 2.5in end muffler also.. i can no longer stand the sound of the dc2r muffler.

want a nice toned 2.5in system that isn't loud

DLO01
17-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Use it any way you want.

Limbo
18-09-2008, 02:38 PM
its actually a muffler, but for trucks.

If you want the larger mid-muffler, i'm sending my car to performance exhaust to get a nice muffler and larger&longer reasonator. All straight thru ;). Maybe you wanna head down also?

I'm getting 2 1/2 also

dsp26
18-09-2008, 03:10 PM
its actually a muffler, but for trucks.

If you want the larger mid-muffler, i'm sending my car to performance exhaust to get a nice muffler and larger&longer reasonator. All straight thru ;). Maybe you wanna head down also?

I'm getting 2 1/2 also

oooh... lemme know... curious to hear it while its on the hoist. although it'd naturally be quiter in your boosted setup.

Is it the one destrukshn went to?

Limbo
18-09-2008, 05:29 PM
yeah my car quietned down when i boosted it. But i am getting it more quiet. I want it to sound almost like stock ;)

Nah Destructshn went to Hitech mufflers. I'm just gonna drop my car off at performance exhaust and tell him to get me something nice, not too bling, but straight thru, with less noise ;)
the whole package. if not he knows i'll just keep making him redo it LOL

dsp26
18-09-2008, 11:13 PM
yeah my car quietned down when i boosted it. But i am getting it more quiet. I want it to sound almost like stock ;)

Nah Destructshn went to Hitech mufflers. I'm just gonna drop my car off at performance exhaust and tell him to get me something nice, not too bling, but straight thru, with less noise ;)
the whole package. if not he knows i'll just keep making him redo it LOL

sounds good.. lemme know when you head down.. wouldn't mind taking a lookskie and getting a quote..

destrukshn
18-09-2008, 11:16 PM
lol, if you want dude, you can check out my exhaust as well.
=)

nd55
18-09-2008, 11:23 PM
[Warning: Internet mechanic in the area]

If it's a straight through mid/round muffler you want, flick through the Lukey/Dynomax catalogue.

Maganaflow is stainless/ceramic packing.
Dynomax is aluminized steel/glass fibre packing.

..... if case you're wanting to save some cash.

Magnaflow & Dynomax & others do shorter, round 6inch straight though mufflers as well. Curious, why did you pick this model of all things?

Why are you looking at 4in tubing, too?

There is a article by David Vizard floating around the web, whereby his premise is that 2.5" tubing is good enough for 250Hp with appropriate choice of components.

The famous "2.2cfm of flow per hoursepower" for no engine output restriction.

> resonators are just the stupidest invention to reduce resonance

I think Toda made the recommendation on here to use two mid-mufflers, same id different OD, to reduce the 'rasp' in an exhaust.

He suggested two mid-mufflers as opposed to resonators would reduce noise to stock levels.

May two smaller units might be an idea.

Nick.

dsp26
19-09-2008, 06:29 PM
^^^the item i'm looking at is 2.5in... the body is 4in thick.. if it was 2.5in then it'd just be a straight pipe wouldn't it :p

I know the post you speak of from Toda.. i repped him for that as i thought it was a very good idea...

but my point is, 2 carefully selected and setup resonators (even if they had the "spiral flow" baffles) still won't be as quiet as 1 mid muffler that is actually designed to muffle noise.

it's also because i do still plan to keep the resonator i have on (as insurance in case i have the exhaust buzz without it) and use the mid muffler as a second item.. and then a nice 2.5in oval muffler at the end.

In case people really don't understand i'll explain it here again.. the purpose of a hotdog resonator is to reduce resonance. This is the reason Honda have a factory resonator because without it they knew they had the shittest sounding exhaust system with the lawnmower buzz... by slowing down the resonance of that buzz, it defeats it all together. Basic physics, deep bassy tones have less pulses per second (hertz).. higher pitched tones or the buzz have more pulses per fraction of time.. by slowing these down you get a deeper tone.

simply put resonators are used to 'tune' exhaust tone... it will not beat a mid muffler in sound damping regardless how good the design

dsp26
19-09-2008, 06:34 PM
this image below below depicts the only hotdog resonator design that actually muffles noise (made by MOROSO).. and afaik no-one in Aus has a similar design. It has spiral flowing baffles designed to reduce both resonance and noise.. it achieves this by slightly extending the distance (through spiralling) the exhaust gasses have to travel on the outsides of the inside diameter then cancelling out the noise from the flow thats in the middle

http://www.team-integra.net/images/BAEC1978-D3A7-4405-AB2D-2761DC15A96D/articles/tuan/misc/SpiralFlowMuffler.gif
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/JRWeber7/MorosoMuffler.jpg

Much like loudspeakers, anytime you have a rounded shape with sound coming out, the sound will be encouraged to wrap around the radiuses, coming right back into the car's interior. Just like airflow, sound doesn't like to negotiate sharp edges.

I put a Moroso spiral flow (3") on the Civic and the ITR about a month ago. They're placed in the system just like a resonator about mid-car. These things have made the Civic embarrassingly quiet and the ITR's so quite I can't hear the exhaust well enough to shift it by sound. We haven't tested these things on the dyno yet, but they do introduce out-of-phase noise to the main flow (in the center) and they're amazingly effective. They're 4" in diameter (for a 3" system) and they're cheap as hell.

taken from:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=10&TopicID=33845&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic

this is the only place i've found online that sells em but they never got back to me about the possibility of shipping to Australia hence my next choice in magnaflow:
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=700+115+304582&D=304582

Limbo
19-09-2008, 07:30 PM
yep true. Also the bigger the body of the reasonator the better the sound reduction.
I use to have the sprial ones before also they are slightly better than your standard reasonators.

All comes down to what you want. Since were all talking straight thru for max power it makes it hard to accomplish what we want. I've had over 6-7 variations and i'm still not 100% with what i want.
The only way to really tell is by trying them on in different combos.

I'm prob gonna drop it by next weekend cos i'm going away for the weekend

dsp26
19-09-2008, 07:43 PM
yep true. Also the bigger the body of the reasonator the better the sound reduction.
I use to have the sprial ones before also they are slightly better than your standard reasonators.

All comes down to what you want. Since were all talking straight thru for max power it makes it hard to accomplish what we want. I've had over 6-7 variations and i'm still not 100% with what i want.
The only way to really tell is by trying them on in different combos.

I'm prob gonna drop it by next weekend cos i'm going away for the weekend

which one? where'd you get it??

nd55
20-09-2008, 06:29 PM
> I use to have the sprial ones before also they are slightly better than your standard reasonators.

What was the entire configuration with spiral muffler and what were the results?

Nick.