PDA

View Full Version : Mazda Murderous New Diesel Oil Burner

Suntzu
17-09-2008, 10:23 PM
How does a 136kw, 400NM 6 speed manual Euro sound? Like a wet dream? That because it is :(. But not for Mazda:-:thumbsup:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2983693.aspx

Down Under in December. And with an increase of 31kW and 40Nm over the oiler it replaces, it is set to become the de facto performance flagship of the entire Mazda6 range.

The turbodiesel 6 returns to the range after a short hiatus -- with the arrival of the new larger current 6 generation earlier this year, the diesel model was shelved in anticipation of the new powerplant. The car will now return to showrooms in both hatch and wagon variants in time for Christmas, and Mazda says it will start at "under $40K". :thumbsup:

The all-new turbodiesel engine under the new 6's hood is literally brand-new and shares nothing with the PSA-sourced 2.2-litre turbodiesel used in the 6's distant Ford cousin, the Mondeo.

The engine will be unveiled at the Paris motor show early next month. A 2.2-litre DOHC four with high-pressure common rail direct-injection, variable geometry turbo and all the latest in hi-tech diesel paraphernalia; the engine produces 136kW at 3500rpm and 400Nm from 1800rpm. Though official ADR fuel stats are still to be ratified, Mazda expects the car to at least match its predecessor at 5.9L/100km :thumbsup:(combined).

Looks like Mazdas doing the opposite to Honda, releasing a 6 speed mnaual with no auto option first. This did not work for them last time as sales of the diesel 6 slumped due no auto.

Honda's waiting for its auto before launching. I wouldnt be surprised if its auto only frankly.

But how with the Mazda and Honda be marketed? Mid level specs or GT stlye with max spec and the Diesel?

But look at the specs on that mazda 2.2 Turbo D. Wow. It puts the new I-Dtec to shame in power AND torque. The new Euro 2.2 is around 110kw and 350NM only.

However i think Hondas got n ace up its sleeve, I personally reckon the new I-DTEC is in a VERY conservative state of tune for the sake of emmissions.

I heard a rumour that Honda have already got a GT Style Diesel variant with 30kw and 50Nm more than the new IDTEC in the UK...who knows what the cost will be though and when it will be up for sale In Oz?

I love my Euro but a sub $40k car with 400NM and 6 speeds is really getting me thinking about moving on.

Honda, your move!

Crapdaz
17-09-2008, 10:26 PM
just telling you, your car will cost a fortune if you look at the big picture.
insurance/rego + diesel fuel (blow a hole in your pocket).

IMO - not worth it even if it is more powerful.

But yeh would like to see what honda has up there sleeves.
Think mazda has gone sports and honda has gone luxury.

Type R Positive
18-09-2008, 12:19 AM
BS....:p

Type R Positive
18-09-2008, 12:20 AM
Hell yeah!!!
Light weight and tons of power to boot. That's what im talking about!

HONDA - TAKE NOTE!!!

Suntzu
18-09-2008, 09:04 AM

IMO - not worth it even if it is more powerful.

But yeh would like to see what honda has up there sleeves.
Think mazda has gone sports and honda has gone luxury.

I love my Euro but thats not right.

I pay Insurance + rego + 98 ron ( have to as i have jtune) now ! So hows this car any different. I can deal with an extra 15cents a litre at 6l/100km!

mazdas are lighter as well but the diesel will be about the CU2 weight Im guessing. Which is pretty good. I bet the CU2 oil burner will be heavier again!

Lets look at the competition objectively and on the merits of the facts.

I wonder what the interior of the Mazda is like? Wheels say the Honda is better. But I havent seen either yet.

EuroDude
18-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Meh they just added a bigger turbo.. which means more fuel usage and less reliability

Suntzu
18-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Lets look at the competition objectively and on the merits of the facts.

Meh they just added a bigger turbo.. which means more fuel usage and less reliability

Makes Baby Jesus Sad.:(

Meh maybe the CU2 got the extra 8kw from leaning out the engine dangerously so it doesn't last as long. Thats about as sensible as your comment.

d0p3y
18-09-2008, 11:49 AM
I would strongly consider it if they brought the option of SatNav in the 6. I am waiting for Honda to bring the Euro Diesel out here as well... I hate waiting though.

SteveH
18-09-2008, 02:09 PM
I don't think the interior of the 6 is anywhere near as good as the Euro after looking at both. The Euro feels a lot more like a quality luxury car once inside. The 6 still feels a bit spartan to me, even in Sports Luxury configuration. They have the 6 with the Sat Nav now, but it was not enough to sway me away from the Euro.

With all that said, the diesel in the 6 does sound pretty good. Would be good to see a similar engine in the Euro, as I think the car would be sensational.

Nax
18-09-2008, 02:11 PM
the euro is a six speed with 148 kw, i dont see the droolfactor here

[NAV]
18-09-2008, 02:13 PM
"400Nm from 1800rpm" thats farkin mad...

boleh
18-09-2008, 02:22 PM
One thing stops me from considering the Mazda6 -- No Sat Nav option :p

Suntzu
18-09-2008, 02:28 PM
i could give 2 flying F88ks about sat nav.

A. i know where im going
B. They are $299 for a little unit or get it on my phone.

I'd rather sharp pricing, Turbo+leather no sunroof.

d0p3y
18-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Dash looks shit and boring without a nav screen there.

Sticking an aftermarket satnav onto the windscreen looks lame.

If I'm buying a new car I want it full loaded end of story. Even if I would rarely touch sat nav.

SPQR
18-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Dash looks shit and boring without a nav screen there.

Sticking an aftermarket satnav onto the windscreen looks lame.

If I'm buying a new car I want it full loaded end of story. Even if I would rarely touch sat nav.

This reminds me of the story of a bloke who used to work for a local engineering company that was bought-out by a huge American engineering company. With the change in ownership came the corporate types; you know the ones you see at airports flying between Sydney and Melbourne wearing a suite and a tie. The new blokes all drove BMW's, Benz's etc and they'd rib the local bloke because he drove an old Japanese twin-cab diesel ute. He got sick of the chiding and retorted one day to his new "mates" saying "and how many blocks of flats do you own?" in reference to the fact that while they were busy blowing their money looking good, he was building real wealth for his family.

Type R Positive
18-09-2008, 10:58 PM
the euro is a six speed with 148 kw, i dont see the droolfactor hererefer to below.

;1898740']"400Nm from 1800rpm" thats farkin mad...Certainly is. Variable vane turbo technology is the shiznit! :D

d0p3y
18-09-2008, 11:20 PM
This reminds me of the story of a bloke who used to work for a local engineering company that was bought-out by a huge American engineering company. With the change in ownership came the corporate types; you know the ones you see at airports flying between Sydney and Melbourne wearing a suite and a tie. The new blokes all drove BMW's, Benz's etc and they'd rib the local bloke because he drove an old Japanese twin-cab diesel ute. He got sick of the chiding and retorted one day to his new "mates" saying "and how many blocks of flats do you own?" in reference to the fact that while they were busy blowing their money looking good, he was building real wealth for his family.

Well no, it comes back to making sure I buy a car equipped with everything I need now and later in the first place. I may not need Sat Nav now but maybe I will have a use for it in future, or maybe my other half would like to use it when she drives the car. Stupid would be spending double the money on the European equivalent for the same level of equipment just for badge wank factor.

Type R Positive
19-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Its the $3k+ just for satnav option that is freakin crazy.....
$3k+ for satnav? That money buys a shit load of extras for your car.

EUR003act
19-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Makes Baby Jesus Sad.:(

Meh maybe the CU2 got the extra 8kw from leaning out the engine dangerously so it doesn't last as long. Thats about as sensible as your comment.

leaning out wont make me power... :p

tony1234
19-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Its the $3k+ just for satnav option that is freakin crazy.....
$3k+ for satnav? That money buys a shit load of extras for your car.
Yeah 3K for satnav option is a joke,should be half that price.Personally for 3K i'd instead use a street directory on the rare occasion i need directions and spend that money on other mods.

Lukey13
19-09-2008, 07:35 AM

Not really sure how that story is at all related to somebody stating they would only ever have a factory in-dash sat-nav rather than cheap aftermarket. I bought my Euro with every option I felt like (including the overpriced $3K sat-nav). This to me was a cheap alternative to purchasing a BMW, which was my alternative at the time. I actually have invested in property and will continue to do so.

And in regards to the factory sat-nav versus aftermarket, for me it was all about the integrated dash look which is soooo much classier looking than a non sat-nav Euro and doesn't compare to a standard with aftermarket sat-nav. Even though I'm sure that very cheap ones probably perform better than the Honda one. My thoughts anyway...

Lukey13
19-09-2008, 07:38 AM
And in regards to 400nm from 1,800RPM I would imagine that an auto would probably be more practical as changing gears is not much of a necessity when you've got that much torque. Speaking from somebody whose last car had approximately that same figure (and was auto). Although I suppose in a manual you'd be able to launch in 3rd gear quite strongly!

But then again, bucket loads of low-down torque is a different driving experience to the Euro which is just so much fun to rev out.

SteveH
19-09-2008, 09:03 AM
I have to agree that the integrated sat nav looks a million times better than having one stuck to the windscreen. In my experience, the in-built ones tend to work a bit better as well. I didn't get the inbuilt sat nav for my last car which I regretted the whole time, which is why I paid the extra to get it on the current Euro.

When I spoke to Mazda guys in August, they said integrated sat nav was only a couple of weeks away for the 6, so I am guessing that it should be available by now.

boleh
19-09-2008, 10:42 AM
If you use one of those portable tomtom/garmin/mio units often enough you'll understand the hassle.. messy charger cable hanging over the dash, and having to remove them whenever you park your car at public places.

If you rarely use them then it’s a different story.

I must agree factory in dash sat nav unit adds a very nice touch to the interior by providing touch screen controls for other things such as A/C or audio. Their bigger screens (typically 6”-8”) would normally function as reverse camera display as well.

This gadget is a must-have for my next car

bigdongers
19-09-2008, 10:49 AM
If you are going to spend $42k on a new car as nice as the Euro, an extra 3k is not too bad for sat nav. Its makes the dash look complete and you get a reversing camera too. The satnav screen is used for other things too. Its got a calendar and calculator and addressbook as well :)

EUR003act
19-09-2008, 06:58 PM
turbo diesels are good for burnouts... not speed/acceleration... i currently have a turbo diesel SR5 work truck... 85kw and 300nm torque... all that power is only good for towing... accelerating still sucks, even through a low geared box...

must admit thou, love the sound of a turbo... espcially that very first spool... mmmmmm music to my ears...

itd be interesting to see what 0-100 and quater miles that thing will actually do, i have trouble putting down 300nm, and thats to the rear wheels! lol :)

Type R Positive
19-09-2008, 07:07 PM
My prado with the new DiD 130kw / 410nm is great for acceleration. So much better than the poxy old diesel motor.
No worries getting to 160km/h+ when simply overtaking, and that's carrying 2.1 tonnes.

hisoka
19-09-2008, 08:49 PM
LOL. man my current diesel makes more power than this new mazda
good ol' CAT D8
http://www.bayviewgeneral.com/equipPics/catD8R.jpg

in all honesty i realised mazda 6 was better than euro after i had bought a euro, being a honda person and that i just choose to ignore