PDA

View Full Version : suggestion for marketplace

trism
18-09-2008, 01:38 AM
I woulda have posted this in the big long thread yF posted, but its locked

On another forum im on, we had alot of cases where people were being ripped off. items that have been payed for not being sent etc

they initiated a system whereby the only payment means solicited by the website was paypal, as with paypal, you need to have your full name and address, and contact details registered to be able to use it

if a sale went sour by direct deposit, well bad luck to buyer, the rules state paypal only

if it did happen with paypal, admin tried to sort the problem using contact details.

They then finally brought in a system where people had to give a $10 donation to the site to get 3 months worth of seller status.

this did a few things.

1. it stopped people signing up just to sell shit
2. by doing this, they had the details of every person who would sell on the site. so nobody would try to scam

now, when people whinge about "oh i dont have a credit card, how can i pay pal?" paypal doesnt need to be linked to a credit card. you can link it to your own bank account, which i have been doing for the last 3 years hassle free.

they also have up to $20k worth of buyers insurance, so you can practically buy a car with paypal and be protected

the having to make a donation to be able to sell might be taking it a bit far at this stage, but as far as having to use paypal, i think thats a start...

T-onedc2
18-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Agreed, good points, and even though Paypal fees have increased I still think it's a good idea.

Q_ball
18-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Good idea indeed... however, this will put a massive burden onto the mods/admin responsible for the marketplace.
I don't see such an idea enforced because,

a) the sites aim is not to trade
b) it will seriously take up way too much time to monitor and manage properly.

edit: at this current point in time, we dont deal or take responsibility for the sales that go on - unless its an extreme proven case by one of our traders/members.
I personally think that ozhonda is happy to keep it as is - as the overall success vs failed trades are in fact in favour to success by a long shot.

sassy_fit_vtit
18-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Perhaps a better idea is to as a member offer to pay via Paypal or ask the seller if it is a payment option

T-onedc2
18-09-2008, 05:02 PM
Perhaps a better idea is to as a member offer to pay via Paypal or ask the seller if it is a payment option
Yes that's an even easier solution

LXRY
18-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Good idea indeed... however, this will put a massive burden onto the mods/admin responsible for the marketplace.
I don't see such an idea enforced because,

a) the sites aim is not to trade
b) it will seriously take up way too much time to monitor and manage properly........

*working 9 till 5.........LMAO

A true genius ;)

trism
18-09-2008, 11:15 PM
yes, you can offer, but its just there as an option then, not as the preferred way.

admin/mods dont have to do that much. you dont even need to chase shit upas long as you say "if you pay by paypal you get our sympathy, if you pay DD, stiff shit"

also, maybe have someone one as a mod only of the FS section, for dispute resolution...

Shimian
19-09-2008, 09:36 PM
correct me if im wrong, but paypal doesnt have any insurance if you buy from external sites. You only get the insurance if you buy from ebay. Someone confirm?

bennjamin
19-09-2008, 09:41 PM
A good thought , altho i strongly doubt the Sites owner will implement such a cange to the way the site operates like that...after all , the Marketplace is an afterthought for this site. Nothing wrong the way things are IMO. Buyer aware , like real life.

PS wait for Wynodes opinion on this matter ( as he is the site owner) before jumping to any anti-mod dissing.

yourfather
19-09-2008, 09:47 PM
there are a variety of escrow services that are available too...

that is one other solution that we could advertise, and its a third party...

trism
19-09-2008, 11:13 PM
i do get a little confused when people say that the marketplace is an "afterthought" to the site.

really, this is wrong.

the marketplace is a vital part. if you were to remove it, i guarantee you would lose traffic. i know before i bought my car i used to come on here, have a look through the lounge, then spend all my time looking for a car to buy!

the marketplace isnt an afterthought at all imo...

maybe originally it was, but its evolved into something much more important.

even set up an account for people to donate to when they make a sale, sont make it compulsory, but just an idea...

any little bit helps ozhonda

zco
21-09-2008, 02:33 PM
correct me if im wrong, but paypal doesnt have any insurance if you buy from external sites. You only get the insurance if you buy from ebay. Someone confirm?

this is true... if you dont use ebay to sell/buy things, paypal is useless for you

i do get a little confused when people say that the marketplace is an "afterthought" to the site.

really, this is wrong.

the marketplace is a vital part. if you were to remove it, i guarantee you would lose traffic. i know before i bought my car i used to come on here, have a look through the lounge, then spend all my time looking for a car to buy!

even set up an account for people to donate to when they make a sale, sont make it compulsory, but just an idea...

i usually dont agree with your posts.. but this pretty much hit the nail on the head :thumbsup: good shit..

.::F[L]Y::.
21-09-2008, 05:14 PM

really, this is wrong.

i only come on this forum for the for the marketplace section. It use to good back in 04 ish when there was some good tech info. Now its full of useless spam and homo threads....Oh how things have changed.

bennjamin
21-09-2008, 09:36 PM
Interesting thoughts , agree with the above that the last few years are simply a repeat of tech articles before hand. And Spam.
It is true tho , the marketplace is an after thought for this website. The site owner has this site for enthusiasts , not people to sell hence why the rules are in place to stop people selling and then disappearing , or coming here JUST to sell or buy. Its simply what Ozhonda isnt about.

I just dont see this websites Marketplace advance much if at all from what it is. It works fine , if someone gets ripped like in real life , they go to the Dep. of fair trading or a lawyer. No different here.

wynode
22-09-2008, 09:23 PM

That was my understanding also. I don't see PayPal warranting purchases made via mediums they don't control.

there are a variety of escrow services that are available too...

that is one other solution that we could advertise, and its a third party...

As mentioned previously Ozhonda will not be mediating transaction disputes however we can point users to some information sources that make them more aware of the risks (and how to avoid them) as per the stickies/announcements in the Marketplace. At the end of the day it is upto you the buyer/seller.

really, this is wrong.

True.....I think what Ben was trying to say was that the main focus of Ozhonda is to be about sharing knowledge / information and not as it being the Honda version of the tradingpost / carsales.

trism
23-09-2008, 12:52 AM
;)

thanks for your input