PDA

View Full Version : Help! DC5S loss of power at above 6rpm

b18c7dc2
19-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi guys! just got my type S!

Really scarry and worrying me because I had like just below 1/4 of a tank left, and driving, and vtecing, it would definatly lose power, and like cut out during when i pump at above 6 grand. I would also sometimes do this when i'm in a lower gear eg. driving 60km/h and in 4 or 5 gear, and pump it. Its more noticeable then.

It feels like the fuel is cutting out, and starts to jerk!! and not accelerate smoothly. WHATS GOING ON???? is it i havn't got enough fuel??? I had just below 1/4 of a tank left. the fuel light wasn't even on. As soon as it happened, i went to the petrol station and filled her up (39Litres), and everything was fine again...

I'm going to drive her home from work again, now she's got a full tank, i don't think it will happen again, but if it does, it'll be really wierd!!!??

??????????????

Any of u guys have this PROBLEM?????????

Should i extend my warrenty because of this. it runs out today!!!????

aaronng
19-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Was this on the original fuel that was in the car when you bought it? The previous owner might have used only 91RON instead of 98RON.

JetSir
19-09-2008, 03:37 PM
check ur oil levels jst incase =D

45SET
19-09-2008, 04:56 PM
was the car still cold?

b18c7dc2
19-09-2008, 06:05 PM
car was not cold

Oil levels are perfect

Just filled up on a tank of 98 octane

whats going on guys? =(

just drove the car home, and all seems fine. i guess we'll just have to wait till tank get abit empty again? to see if it happens again?

=( =(

aaronng
19-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Change the fuel filter. They are meant to be changed every 80,000km.

b18c7dc2
19-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Change the fuel filter. They are meant to be changed every 80,000km.

Maybe ur right??? but how much is cost to do so (replace fuel pump)? i've racked up 86,000kms. Is there any way to test it first??? (Fuel Pump)

Does the fuel pump HAVE TO WORK HARDER WHEN THERE IS LESS FUEL IN THE TANK???????

Because the car jerked and stuttered when the tank was around 1/4 full. Filled up on a full tank today, plus put some injector cleaner in, and car is fine now. Just scared it might happen again when the cars fuel tank is around 1/4 empty again. =(

b18c7dc2
19-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Was this on the original fuel that was in the car when you bought it? The previous owner might have used only 91RON instead of 98RON.

The owner did tell me that he used a mixed of 95 i think, or maybe 91 octane with 98 throughout its life up untill now (86,000kms). you think this could have done something? if so, what could be wrong because of this??

aaronng
19-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Maybe ur right??? but how much is cost to do so (replace fuel pump)? i've racked up 86,000kms. Is there any way to test it first??? (Fuel Pump)

Does the fuel pump HAVE TO WORK HARDER WHEN THERE IS LESS FUEL IN THE TANK???????

Because the car jerked and stuttered when the tank was around 1/4 full. Filled up on a full tank today, plus put some injector cleaner in, and car is fine now. Just scared it might happen again when the cars fuel tank is around 1/4 empty again. =(
You should be able to replace just the filter, not the pump. I know that there are some Hondas that require you to change the pump because the fuel filter is built in. Try calling up the spare parts department of a Honda dealer, and ask for a fuel filter for the DC5S. If they say that there is no such thing, then you're out of luck and have to change the whole pump assembly.

The owner did tell me that he used a mixed of 95 i think, or maybe 91 octane with 98 throughout its life up untill now (86,000kms). you think this could have done something? if so, what could be wrong because of this??
I doubt that would be a problem, because the DC5S has a knock sensor and also if the engine was pinging on 91RON, then you would have even worse problems rather than just stuttering.

b18c7dc2
20-09-2008, 07:09 AM
car seems to be fine now, but i'll let u guys know when the tank is only 1/4 full. It SHOULD BE NORMAL UP UNTIL THE FUEL LIGHT COMES ON RIGHT????????????????

Does the fuel filter work harder when there is less fuel in the tank?

b18c7dc2
20-09-2008, 09:28 AM
IN ADDITION!!!!!! , in the mornings and sometimes car seems hard to start, like it takes a couple of clicks to turn over???

IS this an indicator of a failing fuel pump???????

aaronng
20-09-2008, 09:48 AM
car seems to be fine now, but i'll let u guys know when the tank is only 1/4 full. It SHOULD BE NORMAL UP UNTIL THE FUEL LIGHT COMES ON RIGHT????????????????

Does the fuel filter work harder when there is less fuel in the tank?
Yes, if you have a clogged fuel filter, then there is a chance of getting lower fuel pressure when you have low fuel level. Change the fuel filter first to see if it fixes it. Don't change the pump.

EL_DC5
22-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Change the fuel filter under the Rear seats. It probably clogged with shit fuel you put in yu cheap b@5tard.. LOL

b18c7dc2
22-09-2008, 04:50 PM
Change the fuel filter under the Rear seats. It probably clogged with shit fuel you put in yu cheap b@5tard.. LOL

Its the old owner, is the cheap bastard!! HAHA

b18c7dc2
22-09-2008, 05:03 PM
U guys recon i should try the fuel additives first???

Mitsubishi
22-09-2008, 09:41 PM
U guys recon i should try the fuel additives first???

No, get your filter replaced asap. It's probably clogged. I know, I had that problem when I got my S. Mine cut out at 4000rpm.

If you drive it slow and rev it all the way, you'll make it pass 6000 rpm. Do it again and rev it hard, and you'll cut.

Change-your-fuel-filter.

b18c7dc2
22-09-2008, 10:00 PM
No, get your filter replaced asap. It's probably clogged. I know, I had that problem when I got my S. Mine cut out at 4000rpm.

If you drive it slow and rev it all the way, you'll make it pass 6000 rpm. Do it again and rev it hard, and you'll cut.

Change-your-fuel-filter.

does it happen to you when u have 1/4 tank left. I've been driving my car around all weekend, in all types of situations, and cant seem to replicate the problem. Its strong all the way. Only way to find out is when my tank gets down to 1/4. Its on 1/2 now.

aaronng
22-09-2008, 10:21 PM
does it happen to you when u have 1/4 tank left. I've been driving my car around all weekend, in all types of situations, and cant seem to replicate the problem. Its strong all the way. Only way to find out is when my tank gets down to 1/4. Its on 1/2 now.

That almost screams fuel filter if it happens only on low fuel. Get it changed.

her0
22-09-2008, 10:58 PM
genuine honda fuel filter for a dc5 should cost only around 90 bucks. get it done, won't cost you an arm or a leg :thumbsup:

b18c7dc2
23-09-2008, 08:25 PM
UPDATE GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! my tank is 1/4 tank again, and the same problem is HAPPENING!!!!!!!!

I called honda honda to ask for a fuel filter and they said 90$ plus 120 labour because they gotto take seats out, and get into the tank, cause fuel filter is in the tank etc. so around $200 all up. not to bad. The guy at honda said, because my car had the 80,000km service, it should have already had the filter replaced. So they guy said it could be the way they put it in, and it could be loose?????????

Anyways another thing i noticed is that now, when i turn the car on the ACC position without turning the engine on, I HEAR A NOISE COMMING FROM THE FUEL TANK, LIKE A HISSING NOISE LIKE AIR IS LEAKING OUT Of A BALLON OR SOMETHING!!!!!!!!....... WHATS THAT????????

I GOT MY FRIEND TO TURN THE KEY INTO THE ACC POSITION AND I GOT UNDER THE CAR, AND ITS DEFINATLY A HISSING NOISE LIKE AIR ESCAPING COMMING FROM UNDERNEATH MY CAR COMMING FROM THE FUEL TANK AROUND THE DRIVERS SIDE ISH......

Can anyone further help me to my problem?????

My car just ran out of warrenty. If i extend my warrenty, will it be covered????// i'm thinking of extending my warreny if it covers this...... WHAT U GUYS THINK????

aaronng
23-09-2008, 08:56 PM
That's probably just the sound of the fuel pump priming up. You should hear the sound and then it stops.

b18c7dc2
23-09-2008, 09:06 PM
That's probably just the sound of the fuel pump priming up. You should hear the sound and then it stops.

But WHY don't I it when the tank is full???????

Trust me, i've heard tanks priming up, and this is like a BIG ASS HISSING noise comming from the tank. and it doesn't stop, it just keeps on hissing, till it slowley, very slowley fades away.

u recon i should extend my warrenty?

aaronng
23-09-2008, 09:15 PM
You should have gone to the dealer on the 19th of September when you started this thread. Extend the warranty if you feel like it.

b18c7dc2
23-09-2008, 09:19 PM
You should have gone to the dealer on the 19th of September when you started this thread. Extend the warranty if you feel like it.

Would they be able to extend my warrenty if its a couple of days late (last friday 19th september)?

And would it be covered? (if it was not put in properly by the honda in sydeny)?

tpphan
23-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Would they be able to extend my warrenty if its a couple of days late (last friday 19th september)?

And would it be covered? (if it was not put in properly by the honda in sydeny)?

You can't extend your warranty if it has already expired. Give it a ago anyway, they might do it out of good will.

If the workshop installed it wrong then it should be covered by them. If you have issues with them, discuss it will the service manager. If that doesn't help talk to Honda Customer Relations.

I would doubt they installed it wrong, it ain't that diffcult.

b18c7dc2
23-09-2008, 11:25 PM
You can't extend your warranty if it has already expired. Give it a ago anyway, they might do it out of good will.

If the workshop installed it wrong then it should be covered by them. If you have issues with them, discuss it will the service manager. If that doesn't help talk to Honda Customer Relations.

I would doubt they installed it wrong, it ain't that diffcult.

Any ideas of what the hissin noise is???????????/

are u sure 100% that u cant extend warranty even if its like only 4 days expired??????? do they have to do a test on the car first or something? that will be easy to pass, just put in a full tank of FUEL, then my car will be okay. Then when the tank goes to 1/4 the problem comes again, i bring it to honda, then they fix it under warrenty

Hullabaloo
24-09-2008, 02:20 PM
you sound pretty worried about it, so maybe you should extend the warranty (if you can) and get some peace of mind?

PS i'm no mechanic so I can't say if it's a problem or not.

b18c7dc2
24-09-2008, 03:31 PM
you sound pretty worried about it, so maybe you should extend the warranty (if you can) and get some peace of mind?

PS i'm no mechanic so I can't say if it's a problem or not.

yeah i am heeeps worried =(((( All my blood sweet and tears have gone into getting a car i really like, and when u get problems, it just breaks ur heart. =(

Maybe i will get it. I phoned today, and the lady said if i get in really quick like within the next couple of days she can back date my warrenty, and get me extended warrenty. I dun need to pay a fee to test the car or anything like that, just show her my up to date service records, and she can get me the warrenty she said...

Well, if this fuel thing is going to cost me a couple of hundred anyways to get it looked at, then i might as well get the warrenty, and get it checked out for free under warrenty. What do u guys think???

b18c7dc2
25-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Just a quick update on the problem guys. I poured in more petrol and the noise at the start hissing from from the tank is gone, and the car drives fine now. I have also successfully bought extended warreny for my car today. $895 for 40,000kms, or two years. I will wait a week or two, and wait till my petrol tank gets to around 1/4, and it starts to stutter, and jerk with the power delivery again, and then take it to honda for them to check it out for free under warrenty. I will let you guys know what THE HELL IT IS...

Thanks for all ur support through this........

b18c7dc2
29-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Just to let everyone know that is interested. I'm dropping off my car tommorow, for honda to look at. i should know by tommorow after noon what the problem is. It still jerks, and stutters when i have around 1/4 tank of petrol left!

b18c7dc2
30-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Just to let you know whats going on with my car. The problem was found to be the O-ring on the fuel filter/fuel pump was not put together properly. Also the hose to the fuel pump to the car was half on, causing the clip holding it in place to damage.

It was because when "Hornsby" honda did the last service, they did not fit the fuel filter/pump on properly. I had to pay for 2 hours labour aprox. $250. I filed a complaint into honda, to ask for my money back, from the place where they did the 80,000km seevice, because they are liable. It was due to Error technician, by Hornsby Honda.

Belconan honda in canberra just fixed the problem.

I'm waiting for the reply from honda costomer costomer relations. Car is all good now.

i knew it was a leak, and that the presure was playing up. I was right all along. Thanks for ur help guys.

45SET
30-09-2008, 08:21 PM
This is part of the reason I NEVER take my car to a Honda dealer mechanic.
1) They are GROSSLY over priced (I was charged $1000 to fit a clutch to my DC5R... i was supplying the clutch and flywheel)
2) They have trainee mechanics who don't have attention to detail or don't know what they are doing... they can work on someones Accord Euro before working on my car.

Good to hear you got the problem sorted and it wasnt anything serious.