PDA

View Full Version : anyone tried sound deadening your wheel arch?

huhjared
19-09-2008, 10:47 PM
hi guys, has anyone tried this??
http://www.autobarn.com.au/products/6/37/4214210

was thinking of DIY my wheel arch with this but was wondering if anyone done this? would it even stick since the wheel arch of the euro is plastic?

Euro08Jaz
20-09-2008, 04:15 AM
i guess it depends on the thickness of layering before it has any effect, road noise seems to really be a problem for you, sorry what cars have you owned before? maybe something is really wrong with your euro? id recommend you test drive another euro and see if maybe the noise is normal and your sensetive to it or if there is an actual problem with your euro.

Suntzu
20-09-2008, 09:10 AM
The euros are a bit loud on road noise. Especially after market rubber,suspension and wheels. My crv is very silent in comparison and my Old magna sports considerably quieter again.

I reckon it would be worth a go if you can spare the extra mass.

aaronng
20-09-2008, 09:40 AM
You need to scour the plastic with a metal brush first so that the bitumen coating can adhere. Make sure that there is no silicone too.

EUR003act
20-09-2008, 07:43 PM
i sound deadened my entire boot... lol absoluetly no cabin drone/noise from exhaust while cruising :)

i didnt use that paint on stuff tho (it only leaves a thin and uneven coating) instead i used stick on bitumen/aluminium panels... expensive, but theyre about 3mm thick :)

but yes i agree with suntzu... with aftermarket wheels (good sports tread) and sports suspension, the euro is quiet loud, saying that tho, so is my stereo :p lol

huhjared
20-09-2008, 08:02 PM
i am pretty sure its not just my euro... i mean if you taken a ride in a accord 01' or an accord 05' they are both quiet... i mean the euro isnt quiet... or maybe if u taken a ride in a 04' camry or a BA falcon (taxi) they are quiet... sat in my euro, afew euro before buying this and a colleague euro and all i can say is the car is noisy. i prefer the look, place of origin(Japan) and the performance of the euro over the accord and that is the main reason i choose the euro over the accord... so i am trying now to reduce the noise as much as possible... oh and just to add... the current civic is quieter than the euro as well or might just be they are newer...

skinnyboy
20-09-2008, 08:15 PM
you need to Autofoam the car's voids. This will stiffen the car up and help with NVH levels. And I don't mean cheapo expandafoam from Bunnings either. I thinking of doing mine once i source the correct weight product.

aaronng
21-09-2008, 04:14 AM
you need to Autofoam the car's voids. This will stiffen the car up and help with NVH levels. And I don't mean cheapo expandafoam from Bunnings either. I thinking of doing mine once i source the correct weight product.

iF you fill it up with foam, you get more road noise. The stiffer it gets, the better it is at transmitting road noise.

JetLee
21-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Accord Euro = Made in Japan? Or Thailand?? I am pretty sure the Euro is the later...

Tap.Ris
21-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Accord Euro = Made in Japan? Or Thailand?? I am pretty sure the Euro is the later...

Unlike the wide-bodied version (called simply Accord, based on a US model but built in Thailand), the Accord Euro is made in Japan. ;)

The above was extracted from http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=18859&comparisonID=515

aaronng
21-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Made in japan. Says so in your engine bay. next to the passenger side strut tower.

huhjared
21-09-2008, 11:51 AM

Euro is made in Japan...

tron07
22-09-2008, 08:49 AM
I use something like this before on my other car overseas.....

unity
15-03-2009, 08:02 PM
How effective is this? And how much does it cost? I read a leaflet at Eastern Honda in Melbourne and they offer this service.

integral90
15-03-2009, 09:37 PM
If I wanted to get rid of some exhaust drone would I sound deaden around the muffler?

EUR003act
16-03-2009, 05:51 AM
If I wanted to get rid of some exhaust drone would I sound deaden around the muffler?

yes :thumbsup:

thats what i did...

inside my cabin sounds 100% stock when cruising... no drone, no sound, no nothing :D

tron07
16-03-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.installer.com/photos/3mrsus.jpg

spray type.

You dont really need it for the euro, I feel the NVH is really good... you will get better results by just Dynamat the boot

Crapdaz
16-03-2009, 11:47 AM

thats what i did...

inside my cabin sounds 100% stock when cruising... no drone, no sound, no nothing :D
Your comptech exhaust is droney?

EUR003act
17-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Your comptech exhaust is droney?

lol i dont know... sound deadened before i got it lol

hughba
19-03-2009, 09:06 AM
On the Bridgestone 225s my '05 luxury generates significant tyre noise at highway speeds, especially on coarse-chip bitumen. Some sound insulation foam, carpet underlay, etc in the boot might be beneficial. I'm considering it.

unity
19-03-2009, 11:21 AM
On the Bridgestone 225s my '05 luxury generates significant tyre noise at highway speeds, especially on coarse-chip bitumen. Some sound insulation foam, carpet underlay, etc in the boot might be beneficial. I'm considering it.

Same here. Keep meaning to call the dealer to get a quote but can't be bothered.

hughba
19-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Probably worth giving it a go yourself!

Has anybody lined the floor and boot lid and had any results?

I have a full sized alloy spare and it seems rather uninsulated. Do they all have full sized spares?

integral90
19-03-2009, 04:37 PM

thats what i did...

Would there be a way to deaden just around the muffler? I don't want to do the whole boot...

What did you use? How much did it cost and weigh?

I won't sound deaden if it's gonna weigh the car down considerably...

[ IV 23 VI ]
19-03-2009, 07:41 PM
It wont be long before they make the euro in Thailand too since there doing so well with all the other model Honda's that were made there.

tron07
20-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Would there be a way to deaden just around the muffler? I don't want to do the whole boot...

What did you use? How much did it cost and weigh?

I won't sound deaden if it's gonna weigh the car down considerably...

stock exhaust doesnt make much noise, so you can just get away with it.... go stock :thumbsup:

integral90
20-03-2009, 08:47 AM
stock exhaust doesnt make much noise, so you can just get away with it.... go stock :thumbsup:

Yeah the stock exhaust is fine... mine isn't :p

tron07
20-03-2009, 09:06 AM
You need to understand how soundwave wave travel... they bounce all over the place, so its wouldnt be possible just to deaden only one area.

For my previous civic, I found the exhaust note noisy, so I use dynamat extreme and also extremeliner. Even after doing so many work, its still noisy, so I sold the car.....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2414344/3

If you dont want the weight that comes with dynamat, get the extremeliner, its a lot better and lighter as well. Only downside is more expensive. bitumen and metal sheet do deaden the car from vibration, etc and the sponge material to assorb and reduce all the other noise/frequencies.
http://www.dynamat.com/products_automotive_extremeliner.html

unity
23-03-2009, 05:04 PM
I got a quote from Eastern Honda in Doncaster and it costs $695 to get the whole underneath of the car done. The benefits of this include, less road noise, a reduction in vibrations and better insulation.
Is it worth it guys?

unity
23-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I also got a letter in the mail today advertising the scatch and dent home repair service for $595 for 3 years. But I'm not really interested in this.
Does any one have this service and is it worthwhile?

55EXX
23-03-2009, 06:22 PM
my DIY (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85774)

my car now (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81091&page=3) post 33 down

sneakpeak
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/2961000-2961999/2961641_33_full.jpg

i've put stacks of deadener in and it is heaps quieter! tyre noise can only be heard reflecting off of walls through my window etc but not open highway. with the stereo up i can only feel not hear the exhaust and road anyway.

Crapdaz
23-03-2009, 08:34 PM
thats a sh1t load of dynamat, i dont think liam is going to do that to his euro anytime soon unless his putting a whopping 15" sub in.

integral90
23-03-2009, 09:20 PM
I'm more concerned about weight than the effort involved, lol

55EXX
23-03-2009, 09:23 PM
na it doesn't weigh that much... not

.QD
23-03-2009, 09:24 PM
You can't have your cake and eat it too, if you want a luxury rice rocket your gonna have to put up with the noise! Your euro is LOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUD Liam.