PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intake..

Reijiro
03-11-2003, 10:37 PM
i wanna change my intake pipe... do i need a POD filter? i want to keep the box and my K&N panel filtr i know id also have to convert it to cold air .. any suggestions

Setanta
03-11-2003, 11:50 PM
a: It's illegal if you have to re-plumb the A/F monitor and

b: keep it CAI and all will be good. Just have a pod open to the engine and it's a waste of time and you will lose power.

Worst mod ever for Hondas - it's all noise unless you do other mods such as cams, header and exhaust.

Reijiro
04-11-2003, 12:07 AM
bloody cops.. it also illeagle to have a POD huh?

yeah im thinkn SPOON 4-2-1...

tanghy
04-11-2003, 01:08 AM
keep the box
remove the ressy
plumb a flex pipe from the bumper opening to the bottom of the box

and how on earth do u have a USDM engine?

Setanta
04-11-2003, 05:50 AM
Probably because his car is an '00 Coupe - all coupes were built in the US, not in Japan (in fact Japan never got the coupe). Hence it's a USDM spec motor ;)

wynode
04-11-2003, 10:10 AM
It's illegal if you have to re-plumb the A/F monitor and

Don't all B-series run MAP sensors and not AF meters?

Reijiro
04-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Sentana is that so..? i didnt know that the jaapnese never got the coupes.. and they were made in the USA.. but yeah maby that explains the USDM

Setanta
04-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Wynode: good point (oops, my bad ;) )

Reijiro: The Coupe is actually an EM1 "Si" designed and built in the US. Japan didn't get them - I'm not certain if they got the EG series coupe though.

tanghy
04-11-2003, 02:50 PM
bloody cops.. it also illeagle to have a POD huh?

extractor will give more gains than a bloody CAI anyway

spoon 4-2-1 costs around $1300

Setanta
04-11-2003, 02:53 PM
DC sports do a good price on 4-2-1 nd 4-1 and the Mugen copies are surprisingly good from what I've heard - better bang for buck at less than half the price of spoons.

Spoon is grossly overrated IMO compared to the alternatives...

so in the best Keanu voice, all I can say is "There is no Spoon" :P

tanghy
04-11-2003, 03:00 PM
dc sports retail for around 800
and crack easily

vti-2
04-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Reijiro:

:shock:

Get the cheque book ready. Spoon headers alone will cost you over $2k.

Originally posted by tanghy:

That's cheap!!! Are these genuine?

Setanta
04-11-2003, 03:17 PM
As I recollect Adrian ran a DC header on his VTiR hatch which out-dynoed Chuck's then B16A powered monster at the PF dyno day and it hadn't cracked. The Yanks I have known for 3 years+ running them in their hybrid B16A powered EDs have no issues with them either. That may be a bit of a generalisation I think. :)

tanghy
04-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Reijiro:

:shock:

Get the cheque book ready. Spoon headers alone will cost you over $2k.

Originally posted by tanghy:

That's cheap!!! Are these genuine?

yes real

Reijiro
05-11-2003, 01:25 AM
hahah so do the Dc headers crack or not..isnt it better to get ceramic coats rather than stainless?

btw what would be a cheaper alternative to add mreo effiecency and power..! besdies headers..

Adjustable Cam Sprockets ???
sparkplugs??.

Setanta
05-11-2003, 06:55 AM
Best to see what sort of warentee you have on the header if you are nervous. Like I said, I've never heard of them cracking but that's just my experience.

Cheap is not a word you use when modifying.

Adjustable cam sprockets will show next to no improvement at the wheels without other mods and nor will sparkplugs or leads. Factor in the cost of a dyno tune for the sprockets.

Best mod?

Buy a faster car and start from there.

SPEEDCORE
05-11-2003, 05:33 PM
hahah so do the Dc headers crack or not..isnt it better to get ceramic coats rather than stainless?

btw what would be a cheaper alternative to add mreo effiecency and power..! besdies headers..

Adjustable Cam Sprockets ???
sparkplugs??.

Powered by Mugen sticker.......... 15kw@wheels!
Guarenteed!

Reijiro
05-11-2003, 10:36 PM
sentana: i see i see..! geez learinign alot from here.. Adjustable cam sprockets ? could you tell me a little more about them.. and what mods are required in order to make them a good investment..

SPPPEDCORE: haha yeah i got the jap writing of mugen.. its atleast given me 10! ever since!

SPEEDCORE
06-11-2003, 01:31 AM
sentana: i see i see..! geez learinign alot from here.. Adjustable cam sprockets ? could you tell me a little more about them.. and what mods are required in order to make them a good investment..

SPPPEDCORE: haha yeah i got the jap writing of mugen.. its atleast given me 10! ever since!

:D Glad you saw I was only taking the piss man!! :thumbsup:

If you want my input with regard to cold air intake..... forget pod filters.... and short ram intakes..... just a load of hot air.... literally. There are others that will say..... put the pod down behind the front bar running 3" or so piping to the throttle body..... yes it does sound bloody awesome but I have my doubts about the effectiveness of it.

I am a firm believer of the stock airbox and how well tuned it is.... like someone said b4.... get rid of the the big ass white resonator that sits behind the front bar and get some piping up to the airbox.... I still used some of the piping from the resonator to the airbox... the big U shaped black pipe... I cut the U in half.... keeping the little nipple/hole that I suppose is there for water to run out of if it did find its way up that far..... (Warning it will not drain the water if you go driving through deep water.... you have been warned). I got some silicone piping that they use to plumb air to the brakes in the V8 Supercars.... you can just get the black one... looks better and cheaper than the orange...... I doubt you will need silicone piping rated at 700 degrees celcius for a cold air induction, I was given the orange at the price of the black (500 or so degrees rating) cause they had run out :P The good thing about this type of piping is that it will not collapse on itself and maintains its diameter even when you bend it as you would to make it fit from your front bar to the airbox..... or in my case the cut U piece leading to the airbox. The reason for utilising this half U piece is it is SMOOTH plastic and you are thus creating less turbulance or at least minimising the turbulance of the air entering from the underside of the airbox.

Inside the airbox..... K&N or your choice of other high flowing airfilter.... I would stay away from HKS.. have you ever put those filters up to the sun? You can see heaps of dots of light comming through..... tell me how that can filter dust?? when it will pass sand and even small stones! (this is going off the material that they use for the mushroom pods they have.... which I think is the same as the replacement panel filters they offer).

I appologise for the novel but when I did this to my G/F's Vti-R it was amazing... I never thought that a filter and some piping and getting rid of a "useless" resonator (just there for noise supression) could make a difference.

As for Adjust Cam Gears....... forget it man.....absolutely useless unless you are running aftermarket cams ...... they are used to dial in the cams to optimal settings...... theoretically, yes... it could make a difference on stock cams..... but this is very unlikely.... you are better off putting the $400 (rough pricing on adjust. cam gears) towards a nice set of extractors.

joneblaze
06-11-2003, 09:20 AM
sorry for interruptying, but is "Adjust Cam Gears" the same procedure as tuning the cam gear timing? cos if it is ive heard alot of good things about it... apparently it adds to ur torque and midrange?

SPEEDCORE
06-11-2003, 01:05 PM
No no need to apologise man :wink: ......... ummmm yes as best of my knowledge it is used to "dial in " the cams, cam timing if you will... then ignition timing will possibly need to be adjusted to suit also.

But like I said....... I would not bother on stock cams... not sure what modifications people have done already...... but with any Vtec engine I would start with getting the engine breathing better from the outside in ie. i/h/e before even considering cracking the head open.

Just my opinion,
Cheers,
SPEEDCORE!