PDA

View Full Version : What are the resale values currently?

EuroSip
03-10-2004, 06:21 PM
I was just wondering what the resale value of the euro luxury auto is now...mine has the bodykit as well...i got it 6months ago and now...to be honest...it's not that exciting anymore and my parents say i can change it if i want to...any idea what's the best way to sell if off....i must agree it was a great car...but honestly not the type of car i want right now....parents are willing to get a liberty 3.0B...the manual one....or a second hand Z, but they don't want me to get ripped off in a dealer trade in....

Hondas are actually really good cars with great engines...if the euro was just a tad more powerful...then everything would be perfect....pity australia restricts importing of the EuroR....or else that would be my choice...

I've asked one dealer and they pushed my cars price down to like 30k....so i'm thinking that's not the way to go huh...

fongyfong
03-10-2004, 06:30 PM
yeah man dont trade ur car in, dealers rip ya off silly, sell it privately if u wanna see what the value of ur car is now got to www.redbook.com.au dunno if its that reliable though

DCLXVI
03-10-2004, 06:48 PM
try http://www.carsales.com.au

coladuna
03-10-2004, 06:56 PM
It would be wise not to sell off your car so quickly after you bought it. You are bound to lose heaps and heaps of money on it. But if you really have to do it, then forget about the dealers. Wherever you go, they'll want your car for nothing, those theiving bastards. Just sell it private although it may take longer than you want. If you want decent money for your car there's nothing you can do but to be patient.

As for the performance of Euros, I guess you just chose the wrong car for you. In this price range, there's nothing more powerful than Euro with similar equipment level. It's still heaps more powerful than Liberty 2.5 or Mazda 6.

7th Gen
03-10-2004, 06:57 PM
forget about going to the dealer unless you want to get done over
redbook prices are a tad optimistic, i have never been able to find a Type R for the price they say, always much higher
if you want good money for it, sell it privately?

when you say 'if the euro was just a tad more powerful'....well, hope this thread doesn't turn out like the other one with the guy complaining his euro is not powerful enough (on his L's no less!) and everyone paying him out...... :D

toE
03-10-2004, 08:11 PM
forget about seling it to a dealer mate, seriously, unless you are in a rush and/or dun mind losing heaps for what you originally paid for the car. :thumbdwn:

a good indication of market price would be to look around at what the dealers are charging for the same, or close to the same spec as your car, and deduct a tad bit off their prices. Well, that's how I would derive a price. :)

good luck selling her.

EuroSip
03-10-2004, 08:44 PM
forget about going to the dealer unless you want to get done over
redbook prices are a tad optimistic, i have never been able to find a Type R for the price they say, always much higher
if you want good money for it, sell it privately?

when you say 'if the euro was just a tad more powerful'....well, hope this thread doesn't turn out like the other one with the guy complaining his euro is not powerful enough (on his L's no less!) and everyone paying him out...... :D

I love my car man!! although it was like my fifth choice...it was originally going to be a liberty GT premium version...you must admit that car is awesome....but the dealer told my parents that the car was loud because it has a turbo...i hate dealers!!!! everything they do is wrong!! anyway...yeah... i love the euro...but compared to what i was originally allowed to get....it is not up to match....i blame insurance premiums as well

Although not as much oophm!! the euro has a great engine and great around corners... ^^

fongyfong
03-10-2004, 09:05 PM
do ur parents wanna sell the car 2? i take it ur parents baught u da car aye?

7th Gen
03-10-2004, 09:05 PM
and here i was thinking 'another petulant spoilt rich kid' :D

if ya wanna complain about insurance premiums, then join the club dude. you think it gets better when you reach 25, forget about it - mine has gone higher :thumbdwn:

i would reckon AWD is much better around corners? at least it would not understeer as much as an FF accord euro

what sort of idiot dealer says a turbo is loud? aren't most 'factory' turbos as quiet as NA? sure, if you do I/H/E mods - as well as your obilgatory 'psst fully sik wastegate', then yeh, it would be louder. but stock as a rock from the factory, they have to pass the ADR anyway.......

coladuna
03-10-2004, 09:15 PM
I just can't believe how careless people are about buying cars.
You are not buying a toy. You should've thoroughly researched and matched it to what you want before forking out $40K+. That really looks silly and plain stupid to me. You don't make $10K overnight and it takes a lot of hard work and effort to save up that much money and it's utterly stupid and ridiculous to blow it overnight because you had a change of heart about the car you just bought only a few months ago.

Try looking for a second-hand Euro. You'll be hard pressed to find any, especially privately. That could also mean that you might find it not too difficult to sell it privately as there's virtually no supply of second-hand Euros.
Dealers will obviously love to put their sticky paws on your car because they'll almost be guaranteed to sell it soon after they take it from you for peanuts. Easy money for them and you just lost $10K overnight.

7th Gen
03-10-2004, 09:21 PM
coluduna - maybe you are sounding a tad too harsh?

he said the euro was his 5th choice, well besides the liberty i wonder what the top 4 were?

Calvo
03-10-2004, 09:55 PM
i wouldnt go by prices on the redbook, sure u can have a rough estimate, but usually they r quite low compared to the market price (well in Syd anyways).
quote from my friend

Redbook is about as accurate as the NSW blind darts club.

:D

Type R Positive
03-10-2004, 11:12 PM
I would say if you want to sell it, sell it now. The second hand prices I have seen for Euro's are the same if not more than new prices. This could be due to the 3 - 4 month wait most people have to endure. you should definately get very high $30's for it if not $40k for it.

EuroSip
04-10-2004, 01:01 AM
coluduna - maybe you are sounding a tad too harsh?

he said the euro was his 5th choice, well besides the liberty i wonder what the top 4 were?

Okay...i admit i do blow money quite easily...but i'm not spoilt...my parents used their income statements so that they could get it financed for me...and i make enough myself to change the car if i really wanted to...they don't lose much except for giving part info on their income...
Anyway...there were a few allowed choices...

Audi A4...dad's recommendation...shit drive though...
BMW 325i....i liked it...but you know...running costs is paid by me too so...
350Z....was about to buy it until i checked insurance and they said premiums will be over 8000....scared the crap outta me!!
Liberty GT...jerk at dealer....
then the accord....which parents said it would be a transitional thing...

So now...since a few weeks ago where i took my name off insurance....i've decided i can go for more risky cars...so thus...the want to sell the euro....don't get me wrong...i admit fully that euros are great cars...

7th Gen
04-10-2004, 01:08 AM
so you're driving around uninsured? isn't that a bit crazy?

coladuna
04-10-2004, 07:43 AM
The second hand prices I have seen for Euro's are the same if not more than new prices. This could be due to the 3 - 4 month wait most people have to endure. you should definately get very high $30's for it if not $40k for it.

Totally not true. You can get very good price for brand new cars from dealers. They do seem to put extremely high price for second hand Euros at the dealers, but I bet they'll still give some discounts because if they don't, they are actually more expensive than brand new ones!

Also, waiting period is definitely NOT 3-4 months. At most, it'll be 3-4 weeks. I got mine only a week ago and I only had to wait 11 days for mine. 3-4 months waiting period is a thing of the past when the car was first released.

Your best bet is to sell it privately and hopefully someone dumb enough to not know that you can get a good discount off a brand new one will buy it for very high price.

Type R Positive
04-10-2004, 08:09 AM
11 day wiat.... I wish I was that lucky.

I was lucky enough to catch an order to japan, I only waited 2 and a half months! I have only had my car for a month now. You were most likely lucky to get a dealer allocated car that no one had snapped up yet.

In WA, second hand euro's are going at the same price as new. I don't think you can go in and buy one of the showroom floor yet. So, still a wait and it is longer than your 3 - 4 weeks. Honda has to build it, they can't keep up with demand world wide.

baboo
04-10-2004, 08:54 AM
Euroslip,

here's an idea, send the car to WA and sell it there, you might get more $$. Since Type R+ had to wait for over 2 months for his Euro. It might be a good idea to get it over there.

I waited around 10 days to get my Euro, maybe dealers in the east coast gets more allocation on the Euros.

Always sell your car privately if you can, it's worth the trouble to get that few extra thusands! Dealers will describe your car like it's dirt and offer you a stupidly low price.

If you don't want to stuck with 2 cars (new & old) you can ask your dealer to put on the contract a trade in agreement. They will give you a certain timeframe to sell your car...eg 2 weeks to 2 months.. normally the timeframe of waiting for your new car.
if in that time you can't sell your old car privately, they will buy the your old car at a trade in price that you guys agreed on.

But yeah, Euros are selling like hot cakes, so it should be easy to sell it privately. Give it a go.

~*b*~
04-10-2004, 09:02 AM
yeah man dont trade ur car in, dealers rip ya off silly, sell it privately if u wanna see what the value of ur car is now got to www.redbook.com.au dunno if its that reliable though

The private sellers/buyers area that you can access on redbook is accurate for private selling and buying. However they do not list the approximate pricing when you buy from a dealer. You should take note that dealer prices will always be more then what you pay for privately. This is due to CTP, Car tax, PD and a few other fees that dealers have to pay for. Other then that I can guarantee redbook is a reliable source on prices as we use it often at our dealership for average estimate when trading in vehicles.

coladuna
04-10-2004, 10:20 AM
you were most likely lucky to get a dealer allocated car that no one had snapped up yet.

No. Mine came straight off the boat from Japan and went through the customs for 2 days and spent 1 day at the dealer getting it detailed. The build date of my car is August 2004.

However, I was told when I bought mine that the waiting period on standard Euro is slightly longer. Who knows? Maybe he was just trying to get me to buy a more expensive Luxury model.

I was going to buy from another dealer about a month before I bought mine and they also said the waiting period will be about 10 days.

EuroSip
04-10-2004, 11:16 PM
I got mine like 3 days after we signed everything...and it was grey too...I know a lot of dealers say they have a waiting list...but somehow that didn't happen to the dealer we went to...anyway...i would probably sell it privately since that i know dealers rips people off like mad!! said my car was worth 29k now!!
must admit...if people wants to buy a euro contact me ^^
how many km's have you guys gone now?

Slugoid
05-10-2004, 01:48 AM
My Euro has done around 13,400km. Got it around November last year. First batch of Euro's arrived June/July last year, so it's still a fairly "new" type of car. I reckon you could sell it for around $38-40K at least, as I have already seen a few Euro's on the trading post for around that price.

Off topic:
Since you've got enough dosh to throw around, and brave enough to go uninsured, try the RX8 or the STi. Both can satisfy your needs ;)

EuroSip
05-10-2004, 08:59 PM
My Euro has done around 13,400km. Got it around November last year. First batch of Euro's arrived June/July last year, so it's still a fairly "new" type of car. I reckon you could sell it for around $38-40K at least, as I have already seen a few Euro's on the trading post for around that price.

Off topic:
Since you've got enough dosh to throw around, and brave enough to go uninsured, try the RX8 or the STi. Both can satisfy your needs ;)

The Rx8 was amongst one of my choices...but my parents thought it was too flashy to the point where i might become a target of some kidnapper....
As for the sti...i have a friend who has one...we trade cars to drive every now and then...so there's no need for me to get one....
To be honest...i don't really like flashy cars generally...just not worth the attention...

eknine
05-10-2004, 09:03 PM
it doesn't matter if you sell it today, tommorrow or the next 3 year...you will see that the first 3 years is where the depreciation occurs the most <laffz>

and what makes you think the euro are less "powerful" when compared to the type r?

coladuna
05-10-2004, 09:16 PM
I reckon you could sell it for around $38-40K at least, as I have already seen a few Euro's on the trading post for around that price.

You'd be dreaming if you think he can get $40K for his car after 6 months.
I got mine, although it's manual, for 40.5K brand new.
Even if you factor in the premium for being an auto, $40K is impossible.
I reckon maximum you can get is around $38.5K unless you are very lucky and find someone ill-informed.

7th Gen
05-10-2004, 09:26 PM
The Rx8 was amongst one of my choices...but my parents thought it was too flashy to the point where i might become a target of some kidnapper....
As for the sti...i have a friend who has one...we trade cars to drive every now and then...so there's no need for me to get one....
To be honest...i don't really like flashy cars generally...just not worth the attention...

kidnapped? - someone has been watching too much telly :D
as for not liking flashy cars, well usually a powerful car like what you want is generally a flashy car? unless you go for really upmarket euros like BMW/Merc/Audi etc. the accord euro should be more than adequate

but since it's your parents car and they let you drive it, the discussion is pointless anyway :D

qmjona
05-10-2004, 10:28 PM
I reckon redbook is fairly realistic,
I think the difference is they list what cars are actually SOLD for , not what they are advertised for. There is a fair difference, try selling someing private and see how much less than what you are asking people expect to pay. I'm no expert but I think thats why redbook values looks low, but I generally find it pretty realistic for what you will actually get.

EuroSip
06-10-2004, 12:35 AM
It's not my parent's car...it's my car...they have perfectly good cars they can drive with...
Yeah...i would prefer beemers if the maintenance wasnt as bad...plus there are a lot of gliches after a few years....

baboo
06-10-2004, 08:45 AM
EuroSip, and Fiaz..the guy who's not satisfy with the performance of his euro.

You should be contemp that your have such a nice parents who get you such a nice car. Most of us have to work our butt off to meet the monthly repayments to keep the car.

Life is never fair.

EuroSip
06-10-2004, 02:23 PM
I repeat....my parents got me the finance approval...since that all the work i do is in cash payments.... so i in fact pay for the monthly payments myself....furthermore...the income that i get is enough to change cars comfortably......if you say my parents getting a finance approval for me as being spoilt then...i guess i am...but i don't see why since that i am the one paying....

coladuna
06-10-2004, 06:39 PM
the income that i get is enough to change cars comfortably......if you say my parents getting a finance approval for me as being spoilt then...i guess i am...but i don't see why since that i am the one paying....

If you can afford to change cars just like that let alone being able to afford monthly payments for a Euro, why would you need your parents to get approval for finance? Naturally, you don't.
If you really do earn that much income, you shouldn't have any problem getting a finance yourself. Something doesn't make sense about what you're saying.

If you mean "income" as in pocket money, you'd need your parents to get finance. However, if you mean "income" as in periodic wages from full-time employment, you can easily get finance yourself.

BTW, I don't really care if your parents bought it for you or not.
If you have a rich parents, that's your luck.
However, I do have a problem with losers who try to show off and act cool with an expensive car their parents bought for them when they are just a little mama's boy. These spoilt brats will never learn the satisfaction of paying for your own car and making your own money because 99% of them are really dumb and would never get a job. Besides, they'll quickly realise that not many chics like guys without a proper job as they get older.

EuroSip
06-10-2004, 07:24 PM
Income as in from a job...not ****en pocket money...that's mama's boi's money...and i hate that...!! that's why i don't actually have documents to prove i have an income....get where i'm going with this??

Man, i can't believe anyone would say pocket money is income?? i can't supply enough documents to get finance approval....i have tried before and they rejected saying there's not enough paper doc...and at a young age...they are at risk...

EuroSip
06-10-2004, 07:25 PM
Wow! after reading your post again...did i just get fully blasted for no reason...

P.S. I do know the value of money and how hard it is to get...I work an avg of 50hrs a week along with full-time uni...although...i do enjoy work ^^

Type R Positive
06-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Don't listen to em mate, I had to work 2 jobs through uni (bad drinking habbits) but I got through all right. Now I have the best job in the world, I can sorta get what I want and when I want it.

Loans are bullshite to get, I earn lots and lots and got no debt, but do you think I can get a second credit card? No. This is because I have never got anything on interest free, I have always paid cash. I understand your point. Unless you have a credit history and are over 18, you will need a guarentor for any loans / credit always. (GF works for westpac).

Buy what ever car you want, The Euro wasn't near my first choice, but it is the best car in the world for the money. I wanted a liberty GT, but that was over $50k and the GF wouldnt let me get that, or an evo 8. My next car will be like an evo 10 or something other, but it will be MY choice.

And also, you can't really get good second hand cars over here, the dealers ship em over from the eastern states.

yfin
06-10-2004, 08:40 PM
:thumbdwn: :thumbdwn:

SeraphimX
06-10-2004, 08:56 PM
Now i think the moderator shld edit that tax stuff out, but you guys did bag on him regarding his car payments, so he had to defend himself... regarding selling the car in WA, i think now the prices are the same as melbourne... prolly cos i went to the dealership the other day and they had so many euros (w're talking like 30 cars) in one dealership, my friend got standard auto for about 37K with extras included i thought that was a pretty good deal...

toE
07-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Stay on topic and no personal attacks.

Type R Positive
07-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Now i think the moderator shld edit that tax stuff out, but you guys did bag on him regarding his car payments, so he had to defend himself... regarding selling the car in WA, i think now the prices are the same as melbourne... prolly cos i went to the dealership the other day and they had so many euros (w're talking like 30 cars) in one dealership, my friend got standard auto for about 37K with extras included i thought that was a pretty good deal... Sweet, looks like they got their act together and caught up with demand. The price for new cars should/will be the same anywhere in Australia. Did they have any Used euro's there?

SeraphimX
07-10-2004, 03:55 PM
Yea they had a few, but I din ask about the price cos I was looking with my parents an an odyssey, speaking of which, those cars are beauts...

coladuna
09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
Unless you have a credit history and are over 18, you will need a guarentor for any loans / credit always. (GF works for westpac).

No. I'm only 23 and had no trouble whatsoever getting my finance approved.
All I needed to provide was bank statement and my pay slip to prove that I have a full-time job and a regular pay from the job. No other questions asked.
I don't even have any prior credit history.

Type R Positive
09-10-2004, 11:11 AM
yeah, no shit. Like I say, unless you are over 18, you need a guarentor. You are over 18 aren't you?

coladuna
09-10-2004, 12:44 PM
yeah, no shit. Like I say, unless you are over 18, you need a guarentor. You are over 18 aren't you?

No shit. You said you need credit history AND be over 18.

coladuna
09-10-2004, 12:44 PM
Double post.

SeraphimX
09-10-2004, 01:51 PM
Eurosip - regarding selling your car...you got a PM... :wave:

Check it!