PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of Lightweight wheels?

Ken-f
20-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Sorry if its being asked before, but I've searched and can't find too much...

What would be the pros and cons of lightweight wheels?

EUR003act
20-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Sorry if its being asked before, but I've searched and can't find too much...

What would be the pros and cons of lightweight wheels?

im guessing you mean lightwheels wheels, as in rims? and not flywheel? lol

anyway,

PRO:
Light = better acceration

CON:
expensive!
normally dont go above 17 (IMO too small for euro)

johnprocter
20-09-2008, 10:50 PM
pro = better acceleration and handling

viper8548
20-09-2008, 10:57 PM
will light weight wheels cause the tyres to spin out easier?

EUR003act
20-09-2008, 11:01 PM
will light weight wheels cause the tyres to spin out easier?

just means that more of the engines power is going into moving the car forward and not into trying to rotate a heavy mass... so yes, wheels would prob spin easier lol

Ken-f
20-09-2008, 11:10 PM
How about Fuel Consumption?

yfin
20-09-2008, 11:19 PM
How about Fuel Consumption?

I used to have forged rims and it did drop unsprung weight quite a bit. That helps braking, handling, steering response and acceleration. The suspension also works better too. All of this is noticeable but it is an incremental improvement - not night and day.

I didn't really see a difference in fuel consumption though.

If you are going down this path also check out the weight of tyres - they vary greatly brand to brand - model to model.

EUR003act
20-09-2008, 11:30 PM
ahhh braking! i forgot about that :D

yeah, braking improves too lol

pretty much everything is a PRO except for the whole theyll burn in your pocket...

get RAYS engineering 17"s... mmmmmm

Ken-f
21-09-2008, 12:16 AM
Forged? What the heck does that mean? Forged = Light weight?

Riviera
21-09-2008, 12:24 AM
there cant be any cons

theyre all pro

lightweight
provide faster accel
genuine ;)
probably look alot nicer too

panda[cRx]
21-09-2008, 12:29 AM
there are no cons if they are a quality wheel

EUR003act
21-09-2008, 01:47 AM
lol random 2am post... :thumbsup:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_AyTw6dmxaFs/R07j2hb5JhI/AAAAAAAAAEs/iSyRfvuk_ZU/s400/tsx_oaktree.jpg
^^^^^^^^RAYS ENGINEERING LIGHTWEIGHT 17s

vincikwan
21-09-2008, 01:58 AM
u will feel alot of difference....especially on NA cars n cars that are considered lacking in low down torque

yourfather
21-09-2008, 02:23 AM
2:22am post

get nice wheels and raptor jesus will luv u

forged is the method of production of the wheel.

some wheels are made from metal which is made into a liguid, poured into a cast and then it waits to cool and then is machine finished.

others are forged, which means the metal is under pressure forced into a shape machinery to do this is more sophisticated and needs to be more powerful, hence more expensive

cast is easy because you heat shit up, pour it into a wheel mould (kinda like an ice cube tray) an then wait for it to cool down

JunYu
21-09-2008, 02:53 AM
2:51am post:

Euro standard wheels are actually fairly light at 8-9kgs. Sort of :)

TALEB TYRES
21-09-2008, 03:03 AM
be careful, alot of the expensive lightweight rims/forged wheels, are also soft, especially dangerous if you dont have experience with them.
ie you may be used to goin over potholes on your current wheels, obviously a softer wheel needs more care!

viper8548
21-09-2008, 03:36 AM

My 06 Lux 17" wheel weights ~22-23kg, so the tires itself weights 13-14kg?! :eek:

be careful, alot of the expensive lightweight rims/forged wheels, are also soft, especially dangerous if you dont have experience with them.
ie you may be used to goin over potholes on your current wheels, obviously a softer wheel needs more care!

I thought forged rims are alot tougher than cast, what are stock wheels??

kitbkk
21-09-2008, 04:20 AM
4.19 post
you can check weigh of the rims size by size, brand by brand here;
http://www.wheelweights.net/
but most people already knows it lol

JunYu
21-09-2008, 06:43 AM
i might have given bad information, I was under the impression that it was 9kgs?

johnprocter
21-09-2008, 07:49 AM

those are for the 16inch ones! not 17inch!

yfin
21-09-2008, 08:33 AM

Any wheel can fail but generally a well made forged rim is always going to be stronger than cast. The emphasis is on well made though!

I read about some SSR forged rims on the net that users were cracking left right and centre but that was clearly a manufacturing issue with that model.

There are always going to be some rims better than others - forged or cast.

I had Prodrive (Rays) rims and didn't treat them any different on potholes, etc and had no problems since 2003.

Ken-f
21-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm starting to think maybe i'll just stick to the 17" sport wheels i wanted...any idea how much heavier they are than the 16" stockies i have?

EUR003act
21-09-2008, 05:53 PM
there is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too many of you guys on here during the night lol

:thumbsup: i love it! :thumbsup:

Accord Basic
16-11-2008, 04:02 PM
just got some materials forming involved. Forged metal is harder and have higher hardness rating. expensive forming process (high pressure or hydraulic press). some of the forged metal is more brittle than casting metal.

Casting is cheap to manufacturing but also got some good things. casting and cooling in room temperautre the metal particles join slow and become more ductuility but less hardness and heavier. Also casting metal is much more easier for machining.

When a wheel hit something,
the forged wheel will crack and break, smash into many small parts. you will see on the rally race.

The casting wheel will bend or cut some section off. because higher ductility.

Let me know if I am not correct. This is just normal forged and casting forming process. I am not sure rims manufacturers forming process. May be they are much higher technology.

i think Casting rims are much safer on road or street. Due to racing, forged rims are much better because light weight.

i believe some of the casting rims are not too bad on weight.

Accord Basic
16-11-2008, 04:03 PM
just got some materials forming involved. Forged metal is harder and have higher hardness rating. expensive forming process (high pressure or hydraulic press). some of the forged metal is more brittle than casting metal.

Casting is cheap to manufacturing but also got some good things. casting and cooling in room temperautre the metal particles join slow and become more ductuility but less hardness and heavier. Also casting metal is much more easier for machining.

When a wheel hit something,
the forged wheel will crack and break, smash into many small parts. you will see on the rally race.

The casting wheel will bend or cut some section off. because higher ductility.

Let me know if I am not correct. This is just normal forged and casting forming process. I am not sure rims manufacturers forming process. May be they are much higher technology.

i think Casting rims are much safer on road or street. Due to racing, forged rims are much better because light weight.

i believe some of the casting rims are not too bad on weight.

Crapdaz
16-11-2008, 04:35 PM
depending on the application your using it.

Cast is good for racing as too for forged.
But forged provides are stronger structural design using less metal alloy compound in the wheel.

Whereas cast uses more metal to make the design more structurally stronger, hence why most forged wheels would be slight to significantly lighter than some of the cast designs.

integral90
18-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Theoretically, 1kg of rotational mass is about 15kg of chassis mass in the mechanical effort it takes to move it. That means if you can save 1kg of each corner in the wheels then it's equivelant to dropping a theoretic 60kg of chassis weight.

Seeing as the braking and acceleration all goes through the wheels first, this means quicker acceleration + better fuel efficiency and improved braking. The handling shouldn't be effected much at all, unless your new wheels are wider.

Crapdaz
18-11-2008, 05:42 PM
^ wider and lower profile.