PDA

View Full Version : how do i make radiator fan constantly on when car is on?

Jums
21-09-2008, 01:39 PM
didn't have much luck searching so here it goes..
how do i make the radiator fan to be on all the time when the car is on?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-09-2008, 01:43 PM
I believe you would need a Manual Fan Switch and just turn that on when you are driving

Jums
21-09-2008, 01:52 PM
ok cool.
are there any ways to make the fan switch on/off automatically when you turn key on/off?

markoJEK1
21-09-2008, 02:07 PM
why would you want that? Only time the fan does turn on is when its required, IE cooling the coolant as the thermostat opens and circulates the fluid

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-09-2008, 02:11 PM
ok cool.
are there any ways to make the fan switch on/off automatically when you turn key on/off?

Its possible but would just be simpler if you had a manual switch so once the car is ignited/on you flick the switch and fan is on

GSi_PSi
21-09-2008, 02:12 PM
you can run it straight from the battery using the +- terminals. Dodgy but worked for my cousin as his fans wouldnt work and car was overheating n he was stuck somewere far

markoJEK1
21-09-2008, 02:15 PM
^ yes as a quick fix so you can travel home, but if everything is in working order I dont see why you'd want that?

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:17 PM
why would you want that? Only time the fan does turn on is when its required, IE cooling the coolant as the thermostat opens and circulates the fluid

you don't understand...lol

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:20 PM
you can run it straight from the battery using the +- terminals. Dodgy but worked for my cousin as his fans wouldnt work and car was overheating n he was stuck somewere far

would this make the fan be on even when car is off? if not, how does the wiring go? i've been searching for this method for quite a while..

markoJEK1
21-09-2008, 02:20 PM
explain your reasoning Im interested to hear why you'd like to do this

GSi_PSi
21-09-2008, 02:21 PM
are you tryin make the car run cool all the time?

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Its possible but would just be simpler if you had a manual switch so once the car is ignited/on you flick the switch and fan is on

where can i get one of those manual switches? i've only come across those that make the fan switch on at lower temperatures instead of making it constantly on..

GSi_PSi
21-09-2008, 02:23 PM
yeh fans were on until he removed the wires leading to the battery

SHOGUNOVDDRK
21-09-2008, 02:27 PM
where can i get one of those manual switches? i've only come across those that make the fan switch on at lower temperatures instead of making it constantly on..

Just a regular switch from Repco or whatever store

Pretty much need to do what GSi_PSi's cousin did but add the switch to it electronic equation so you can switch it on and off :thumbsup:

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:28 PM
are you tryin make the car run cool all the time?

i'm actually trying to make it run a little cooler. the new oem radiator is somehow always on 60%~70% on the temp guage. bleeded out coolant, replaced hoses, thermostat, but still it's the same. i had the car on idle for about an hour when i was bleeding the coolant and didn't see the fan turning on even once. now that it's summer i want it on all the time i drive.

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Just a regular switch from Repco or whatever store

Pretty much need to do what GSi_PSi's cousin did but add the switch to it electronic equation so you can switch it on and off :thumbsup:

cool. cheers mate :thumbsup:

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:34 PM
thanks guys!
it'll be a much cooler summer now!

zco
21-09-2008, 02:37 PM

i'm actually trying to make it run a little cooler. the new oem radiator is somehow always on 60%~70% on the temp guage. bleeded out coolant, replaced hoses, thermostat, but still it's the same. i had the car on idle for about an hour when i was bleeding the coolant and didn't see the fan turning on even once. now that it's summer i want it on all the time i drive.

tried changing cluster yet ? maybe borrow one of your mates one for a while..
i know this happened to my car .. turned out to be the cluster.
always sat above the mid way point everyday..

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:46 PM
what's a cluster? guage cluster? if so, would that explain the fan not turning on? if so, i will check it out.

markoJEK1
21-09-2008, 02:49 PM
If your problem is that you believe you car is running hot, you do realise having a fan on constantly does not change the temp of the motor. Doesnt matter how cold the fluid is in your radiator it wont cool the motor until the thermostat OPENS, and when it does it circulates the fluid and closes off again until it reaches correct temp to open up again.
So if you're thinking of having cooler motor by having the fan on cosntantly cooling the fluid in the radiator it wont happen. Thermostat not open = motor doesnt get cooled by cooler fluid in radiator (fan on constantly or not).

zco
21-09-2008, 02:54 PM
what's a cluster? guage cluster? if so, would that explain the fan not turning on? if so, i will check it out.

the temperature gauge in your cluster. the stock one..
that doesnt have anyhting to do with your fan not turning on at all. it should turn on after a while when it reaches the right temperature. but the dodgy reading maybe from a stuffed up cluster

Jums
21-09-2008, 02:55 PM
If your problem is that you believe you car is running hot, you do realise having a fan on constantly does not change the temp of the motor. Doesnt matter how cold the fluid is in your radiator it wont cool the motor until the thermostat OPENS, and when it does it circulates the fluid and closes off again until it reaches correct temp to open up again.
So if you're thinking of having cooler motor by having the fan on cosntantly cooling the fluid in the radiator it wont happen. Thermostat not open = motor doesnt get cooled by cooler fluid in radiator (fan on constantly or not).

so what would you suggest? lower operating temp thermostat?

markoJEK1
21-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Yes that would be the best move to achieve what you are after. In a sense you'd want a thermo that operable by a switch. Wouldnt get one even if they exsited. Best bet get a lower temp thermo

90LAN
21-09-2008, 03:00 PM

if u did this and the fan didnt turn on once u have other problems
it must be your wiring or fan motor
did u check to see if the fan wiring is plugged in correctly

Jums
21-09-2008, 03:01 PM
the temperature gauge in your cluster. the stock one..
that doesnt have anyhting to do with your fan not turning on at all. it should turn on after a while when it reaches the right temperature. but the dodgy reading maybe from a stuffed up cluster

ok cool cheers mate.

Jums
21-09-2008, 03:10 PM
fan motor FTW! gonna check that out ASAP!

e240
21-09-2008, 04:14 PM

Did you try replacing the fan switch?

Jums
21-09-2008, 04:40 PM
is the fan switch to make the fan work right? if so i just went for an hour drive. temp constant on 60%~70%. got back home fans were actually working but turned off in less than a minute. fans didn't go on again after that. after on idle for 10 mins temp guage still over half way mark....
will update status after testing new temp guage.

kcokla
21-09-2008, 05:15 PM
if u did this and the fan didnt turn on once u have other problems
it must be your wiring or fan motor
did u check to see if the fan wiring is plugged in correctly

not nessescary,
on my moms car ive got the same problem
fans arnt working at all, so when cars in idle(traffic eg) it heats up,
i replaced the fuse and it worked however a day or two later it stopped again, i suspect there is something that is obvioulsy connected after (wiring wise) to the fan that keeps blowing the fan fuse,
taking it to the auto electrician tomorrow,