PDA

View Full Version : d series short shift problem

kraftycuts
21-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Hey Guys,

i dont know if i got the wrong short shifter but i have a very good feeling it may be..
so i was installing my short shifter which involved getting under the car and what not. i have followed most of the steps provided by some members on the diy thread but when all was done i couldn't put the car in gear 1 or 2, the b-pipe seems to be obstructing the shifter. i then compared the two shifters and found that the part under the ball is longer compared to the stock one so it was extended to the exhaust pipe therefore obstructing the shifting. now have i got the wrong shifter? or have i done something wrong?

Spoon SiRG
21-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Most,if not all aftermarket short shifters are indeed longer under the ball part thingy because by doing so it shortens the shifting action (but makes the shifting effort more).

Can you post images of your cars underside so we can have a look?

kraftycuts
21-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Most,if not all aftermarket short shifters are indeed longer under the ball part thingy because by doing so it shortens the shifting action (but makes the shifting effort more).

Can you post images of your cars underside so we can have a look?

sorry got no pics. i needed to use the car so i put the stock one back on again. btw it a civic coupe with a d16y8.

AKILYA666
22-09-2008, 09:23 PM
had the same prop with my coupe and short shifter. if you over tighten the bolt (too much torque) it will feel overly firm and wont be able to move it into gear. Loosen the bolt of a little and you should be right.

Boban
23-09-2008, 05:41 AM
might be a stupid question (don't mean to offend and i apologize if i do) but did you feed the shaft from the top through the floor or from the bottom and up, if you put it in the wrong way it could be the reason why it's hitting your exhaust :p

55EXX
23-09-2008, 07:36 AM
if the shifter is is the wrong way you'll either have the gear knob to far back or in the right place it will not stop it from working. the knob should be closer to the steering wheel, hence also making the shift quicker by you hand having to move less of a distance too.

kraftycuts
23-09-2008, 02:28 PM
had the same prop with my coupe and short shifter. if you over tighten the bolt (too much torque) it will feel overly firm and wont be able to move it into gear. Loosen the bolt of a little and you should be right.

which bolt are we talking about here? is it the one which connects the shifter to the shift linkage or the two bolts that hold the bushing?

kraftycuts
23-09-2008, 02:30 PM
might be a stupid question (don't mean to offend and i apologize if i do) but did you feed the shaft from the top through the floor or from the bottom and up, if you put it in the wrong way it could be the reason why it's hitting your exhaust :p

haha, im not an idiot. did my research before going ahead and installing it all. but i actually got the shifter in an all but its just extended down to exhaust pipe and just touching preventing the shifting motions

kraftycuts
23-09-2008, 02:31 PM
if the shifter is is the wrong way you'll either have the gear knob to far back or in the right place it will not stop it from working. the knob should be closer to the steering wheel, hence also making the shift quicker by you hand having to move less of a distance too.

are we talking about the bend in the bar? should it be bent towards or away from the driver?

AKILYA666
23-09-2008, 08:32 PM
which bolt are we talking about here? is it the one which connects the shifter to the shift linkage or the two bolts that hold the bushing?

yeah the one that connects the linkage and the shifter under the bushing...

55EXX
23-09-2008, 08:55 PM
which ever places it further away from you and closer to the wheel. the pole tho should bend towards you like stock

..O front of car
...\
../
o ball
|
o link

kraftycuts
24-09-2008, 07:08 PM
i guess im going to give this another go i guess. i just dont want to have to end up putting the stock one back on again. lol

aimre
24-09-2008, 07:58 PM
stock exhaust?

kraftycuts
25-09-2008, 11:09 PM
yeah everything is stock. if thats what your asking. but i had to put the stock shifter back on again

MRGRIM
03-10-2008, 02:06 AM
Yo

i had same issue's and only way to fix is to go to an exhaust place
get them to heat the exhaust pipe and shift it over a bit all fixed
and since then ive fixed 2 of my mates cars same prob
now we just lol about the stupid things
cos we all thought that it was us or dud cheap part
oh and i even emailed the complaints dept at the factory
and they also told me same thing heat n bend exhaust ..lol email came back 1 week after i worked it out

the problem is that to shorten the shift pattern you must make the bottom half longer on the stick

kraftycuts
03-10-2008, 11:24 AM
ohh... definately LOL! haha. i thought the same, i was getting pissed cause it didnt fit and thought i got gipped! well i guess ill be off to the nearest exhaust place to do the bending.
do you know how much this will cost at all?

MRGRIM
03-10-2008, 07:50 PM
they should only chrge you bout $20 or so dollars aint much cos they just got to heat n bend a monkey could do it

Jord
06-10-2008, 09:33 PM
i didnt have this problem with mine, it was an ebay shifter that cost me 50 shipped. i have an after market exhaust which might help. my delema is that it rattles like a bitch when im driving. i even have a aftermarket bushing kit installed :(