PDA

View Full Version : replacement front rotors CL9

vte18c
22-09-2008, 10:48 AM
I have warped front rotors.. instead of machining the OEM rotor I was thinking about going for better quality slotted rotors that wont warp like the crappy OEM rotor. Nothing exotic or overly expensive.. just DBA or something I can get locally but it must be an OEM fit with my standard caliper.

Does anyone have any recommendations for which rotor I should go and is it something I could change over myself without much difficulty? I don't mind getting my hands dirty, I just need a rough guide for the process.

Thanks.

tpphan
22-09-2008, 11:05 AM
OEM Rotors are not bad, did you wash your car/wheel while it was still hot?

If you are just after OEM replacement, DBA Street Series or even RDA's, otherwise i would go for the DBA 4000 Series, Slotted :D. You can find them priced anywhere from $650-800.

Crapdaz
22-09-2008, 12:14 PM
you can get DBA/ Powerslot/ Brembo/ Stillen and more but depending on how much you want to pay.

hondar
22-09-2008, 12:21 PM
i have js racing rotor in stock now.

great swap for oem standard.

normally $850 now $650 on offer.

m2h
22-09-2008, 12:36 PM
i have Dixcel Slotted HS rotor, also great swap for oem standard. PM me if you interested.

viper8548
22-09-2008, 12:48 PM
OEM Rotors are not bad, did you wash your car/wheel while it was still hot?

Does that cause warping?

aaronng
22-09-2008, 12:55 PM
How do you know the rotors are warped? Did you wash your rotors while it was hot like tpphan said, or were you just sitting on the brakes when the rotors were hot? If it is the latter, then changing the pads to better aftermarket ones can fix the brake shudder.

Crapdaz
22-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Does that cause warping?

yeh cause the sudden change of temperature from Hot to cold.
Can cause the rotor to get warped, as heated metals expand.

vte18c
22-09-2008, 01:22 PM
IMO a decent rotor shouldn't fold in half the moment it comes in contact with cold water.. but anyway they were warped when I bought the car so who knows how or why, I just thought why not get better rotors instead of machining the warped oems.

Thanks for the responses.. ill make some enquiries.

Aaronng: Honda told me the rotors were warped at my last service and sighted that non genuine pads had been used but didn't say if that was the direct cause.

aaronng
22-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Aaronng: Honda told me the rotors were warped at my last service and sighted that non genuine pads had been used but didn't say if that was the direct cause.
Non-genuine pads most probably did not cause the rotor warpage. I find that the Honda OEM pads are worse (eventhough they are more expensive than my Hawk pads).

Well, you might as well change the rotors and start afresh. Will you be doing the install yourself? I recommend that you take out the caliper pins and regrease them as they can sieze up if you don't grease it up properly with a good high temperature lithium grease.

enkay
22-09-2008, 03:21 PM
http://www.heeltoeauto.com/home.php?cat=3446

here u go.. this sites got most the rotors u can get for our car
although its an american site

vte18c
22-09-2008, 04:01 PM
Non-genuine pads most probably did not cause the rotor warpage. I find that the Honda OEM pads are worse (eventhough they are more expensive than my Hawk pads).

Well, you might as well change the rotors and start afresh. Will you be doing the install yourself? I recommend that you take out the caliper pins and regrease them as they can sieze up if you don't grease it up properly with a good high temperature lithium grease.

Yeah I think Honda just wanted to note the non genuine pads as an excuse to not cover it under warranty.. I don't mind.. I just want the best braking performance from now on.

Thanks for the advice, I will see how I go..

tony1234
22-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Try changing the pads 1st to Endless or Hawks before you change rotors.Earlier Euro OEM brake pads(03-05 and to a lesser extent 06s))were prone to leaving pad deposits on the rotors giving the impression that the rotors were warped.

Min988
23-09-2008, 07:23 PM
I got RDA slotted (cheap) their sweet for just a rotor instead of OEM rotor and Hawks pads. A bit better than stock. With the rotors though paint them silver on the edges before your install them, thats if you like the rusty look. To be honest anything else (~600-800)and your burning money unless your planning to track or doing some extreme driving.

EUR003act
23-09-2008, 09:47 PM
lol glad your happy with them Min!

yeah i have brembo drilled/slotted on mine... purely for cosmetics/brand whoring reasons... i notice no difference between these and the RDA slotted i previously had... both are good upgrade from stock :thumbsup:

Crapdaz
23-09-2008, 09:49 PM
slotted and drilled are brand whore stuff like eur003act.

only benefit is the cooling rate depending on how good it has been manufactured.
my powerslot ones were piss cheap too, got them all 4 plus F/R hawk hps pads for about $850aud while ago.

tony1234
24-09-2008, 07:59 AM
I got RDA slotted (cheap) their sweet for just a rotor instead of OEM rotor and Hawks pads. A bit better than stock. With the rotors though paint them silver on the edges before your install them, thats if you like the rusty look. To be honest anything else (~600-800)and your burning money unless your planning to track or doing some extreme driving.
Where did you guys get the RDA slotted from and how much?:)

enkay
24-09-2008, 08:04 AM
jdmyard =D
think they like 2xx for front pair/rear pair

udapte:
Accord Euro
Front slotted disc $235 incl GST per pair
Rear slotted disc $210 incl GST per pair

tony1234
24-09-2008, 08:30 AM
jdmyard =D
think they like 2xx for front pair/rear pair

udapte:
Accord Euro
Front slotted disc $235 incl GST per pair
Rear slotted disc $210 incl GST per pair
thanks.

hooyn
24-09-2008, 08:36 AM
just to clarify... the other night i was going up a mountain road, maybe about 5 minutes into the drive up the mountain i was braking downhill quite violently and there was a huge shudder.

would that indicate that my rotors are warped then?

i also noticed that my brakes seem to be real soft now and i need to brake a bit harder to a stop.

D R U
24-09-2008, 08:37 AM
IMO a decent rotor shouldn't fold in half the moment it comes in contact with cold water.. but anyway they were warped when I bought the car so who knows how or why, I just thought why not get better rotors instead of machining the warped oems.

Thanks for the responses.. ill make some enquiries.

Did you feel a shudder while you were braking?

My car used to shudder and feel a bit unstable during hard braking, and i thought it was the rotors.

Turns out my front camber was out by a lot and when i did my wheel alignment and camber adjustment the shudder went away.

Now its smooth barking all the way.:thumbsup:

Jim Connolly
29-09-2008, 10:12 PM
My 2003Euro had to have its front rotors machined at 40K km, and again at 80K km and now the brake shudder is back again at 110K km. I have lost confidence in the OEM rotors and am looking for an aftermarket replacement. From the discussion threads it seems that DBA or RDA slotted rotors would be OK.

EUR003act
29-09-2008, 10:27 PM
My 2003Euro had to have its front rotors machined at 40K km, and again at 80K km and now the brake shudder is back again at 110K km. I have lost confidence in the OEM rotors and am looking for an aftermarket replacement. From the discussion threads it seems that DBA or RDA slotted rotors would be OK.

RDA are the better of the two :thumbsup:

Crapdaz
30-09-2008, 08:23 AM
ANYONE KNOW ABOUT STILLEN drilled and slotted?

i was going to get those before i ended up getting the cheaper powerslot ones.

CL9R
26-10-2008, 10:50 AM
can anyone give me a average price the one set of aftermarket front pads?
i am using Pmu at the moment. been 2 track days and are almost gone. can't remember how much i paid for it.
i live in vic. can anyone give me a place that i can ring up to check?! cheers

aaronng
26-10-2008, 12:10 PM
can anyone give me a average price the one set of aftermarket front pads?
i am using Pmu at the moment. been 2 track days and are almost gone. can't remember how much i paid for it.
i live in vic. can anyone give me a place that i can ring up to check?! cheers
I've been to 4 track days with my aftermarket pads (hawk) and they still have lots of life left.... How did you wear out your pmu in just 2 track days?! I paid 260 for my hawk ceramics landed when the exchange rate was 0.72.

CL9R
03-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I've been to 4 track days with my aftermarket pads (hawk) and they still have lots of life left.... How did you wear out your pmu in just 2 track days?! I paid 260 for my hawk ceramics landed when the exchange rate was 0.72.

i don't know...it's just has, but i did a lot a daily drive with it too...lol
can u tell me the place to go to get hawk??? i wanna try them

euro_tr4sh
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM
im pretty sure rotors are designed to go from hot to cold quickly without warping.... i dont think car manufacturers were hoping we'd never drive through a puddle or something cos if thats the case we'd be replacing warped rotors every month

Ken-f
03-11-2008, 10:29 PM
just to clarify... the other night i was going up a mountain road, maybe about 5 minutes into the drive up the mountain i was braking downhill quite violently and there was a huge shudder.

would that indicate that my rotors are warped then?

i also noticed that my brakes seem to be real soft now and i need to brake a bit harder to a stop.

I'd like to know this too. Kinda makes sense....anyone?

Chris_F
03-11-2008, 10:32 PM
RDA are the better of the two :thumbsup:

RDA better than DBA? that doesn't sound right

EUR003act
03-11-2008, 11:27 PM
RDA better than DBA? that doesn't sound right

from the RDA website:
"Our products are sourced from the world’s best manufacturers to give us our large and comprehensive range.

We source from many regions throughout the world, as rotor and drum manufacturing is a relatively new development within Australia, whereas some of our suppliers have been manufacturing for over forty to fifty years."

----------------------------

DBA are made in Australia... (mainly just the kangaroo paw design - alot of there newer desgins are now made in china)

---------------------------

dont know about everyone else, but australian/chinese made cars/car parts just dont cut it for me...

thats just my opinion... obviously now im running brembos... which i would say are better than both

aaronng
03-11-2008, 11:34 PM
from the RDA website:
"Our products are sourced from the world’s best manufacturers to give us our large and comprehensive range.

We source from many regions throughout the world, as rotor and drum manufacturing is a relatively new development within Australia, whereas some of our suppliers have been manufacturing for over forty to fifty years."

----------------------------

DBA are made in Australia... (mainly just the kangaroo paw design - alot of there newer desgins are now made in china)

---------------------------

dont know about everyone else, but australian/chinese made cars/car parts just dont cut it for me...

thats just my opinion... obviously now im running brembos... which i would say are better than both
RDA rotors for the Euro are made in China, last I asked. The RDA is equivalent to the DBA streets. If you are comparing the DBA4000 with the kangaroo paw and heat treatment, DBA wins hands down. The closest competitor to the DBA4000 would be RacingBrake's UR series rotor.

EUR003act
03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
RDA rotors for the Euro are made in China, last I asked. The RDA is equivalent to the DBA streets. If you are comparing the DBA4000 with the kangaroo paw and heat treatment, DBA wins hands down. The closest competitor to the DBA4000 would be RacingBrake's UR series rotor.

damn... china vs. china... lol

i suppose then if your getting DBAs get the kangaroo paw desgin then! :thumbsup:

aaronng
03-11-2008, 11:48 PM
damn... china vs. china... lol

i suppose then if your getting DBAs get the kangaroo paw desgin then! :thumbsup:

Yeah, if I was going for cheap as chips, I'd give either one a go depending on which has a better price. If I wanted the next step up, definitely DBA4000 or Racingbrake UR.

Then again, I am still on my stock 2004 rotors, used ceramic street pads, gone to 5 track days, have horrible grooves, but no rotor warp or shuddering. LOL. So the stock rotors can take abuse.

aaronng
11-05-2009, 11:18 AM
Just got myself some DBA4000 fronts and DBA street rears. Waiting to find some time to swap them in and replace pads at the same time.

enkay
11-05-2009, 11:37 AM
Just got myself some DBA4000 fronts and DBA street rears. Waiting to find some time to swap them in and replace pads at the same time.

nice, tell us how it goes =D

aaronng
11-05-2009, 11:57 AM
nice, tell us how it goes =D

The rotors should feel the same as stock. :p

The pads on the other hand... :thumbsup:

enkay
12-05-2009, 12:03 PM
The rotors should feel the same as stock. :p

The pads on the other hand... :thumbsup:

o icic, u goin for the same pads?
i just ordered the j'sracin fcr rotors. =D might get some brembo blanks for the rears when i get the hawk pads n goodridge brakelines.

aaronng
12-05-2009, 12:31 PM
o icic, u goin for the same pads?
i just ordered the j'sracin fcr rotors. =D might get some brembo blanks for the rears when i get the hawk pads n goodridge brakelines.
Nah, I have some Project mu pads sitting here to use. Won't be using Hawk Ceramics for track again, they are too prone to turning into tofu when heated. Great for street though.

You have heaps of $$$.. J's racing rotors are pricey. Brembo blanks are same as OEM. You had better get the rears for cheaper than my $90 each price.

enkay
12-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Nah, I have some Project mu pads sitting here to use. Won't be using Hawk Ceramics for track again, they are too prone to turning into tofu when heated. Great for street though.

You have heaps of $$$.. J's racing rotors are pricey. Brembo blanks are same as OEM. You had better get the rears for cheaper than my $90 each price.

haha i got the j's on sale only 350 (thanks to jdmconcept) =D better than 550.
so the ceramics arnt good for track aye, hmm mayb i need another set just for track use then haha.. more money gone =( lol
o wells think bout it later on. now gotta save up for my next mod :zip:

aaronng
12-05-2009, 12:53 PM
haha i got the j's on sale only 350 (thanks to jdmconcept) =D better than 550.
so the ceramics arnt good for track aye, hmm mayb i need another set just for track use then haha.. more money gone =( lol
o wells think bout it later on. now gotta save up for my next mod :zip:

Good price. I thought it was $550 during sale! Looks good, they seem like temperature hardened rotors.