PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Comptech Header rattle

docker
22-09-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi,

I am looking to buy a header for my CL9 and have narrowed it down to the following: Toda Racing or Comptech.

Toda from reading all the write up in the forum here is the best quality and best for performance gains, but also costs around $1550. On the other hand, Comptech is half the cost of Toda, good quality and a straight bolt on whereas there are some minor mods needed for Toda (only if you have 6M/T which I do).

I don't track my car or anything like that and just wanted some better performance from the header than stock as I already have a catback and CAI.

I'm leaning towards Comptech purely from a cost perspective but I have heard and also reading the US forums there are some major rattles coming from the Comptech header, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these rattles? If you are running the Comptech Header are you experiencing the rattle?

Cheers

akina
22-09-2008, 04:05 PM
From what i have read, the comptech only rattles if you are an auto. If yours is a manual, then your fine.

Someone double check?

tony1234
22-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I have Comptech header and my car is a manual.I had a rattle when the AC was on and the car was stopped and engine was idling,when the AC compressor would cut in.What my exhaust guy did was weld the upper part of the header to the bracket from the engine block that supports the factory one,for some reason the Comptech header doesn't have this attachment and therefore can rattle.i've had it on now for 10 mths.and quiet,no rattle now.BTW this header is good value and well made.It improves low-mid range torque and some up in the higher RPM as well.Go for it.:thumbsup:

snYpz
22-09-2008, 04:40 PM
^ are the comptech loud tony?

tony1234
22-09-2008, 04:45 PM
^ are the comptech loud tony?
No not at all.when you hit 5-6k you notice that it's a bit louder than stock but not much.

docker
22-09-2008, 05:56 PM
I have Comptech header and my car is a manual.I had a rattle when the AC was on and the car was stopped and engine was idling,when the AC compressor would cut in.What my exhaust guy did was weld the upper part of the header to the bracket from the engine block that supports the factory one,for some reason the Comptech header doesn't have this attachment and therefore can rattle.i've had it on now for 10 mths.and quiet,no rattle now.BTW this header is good value and well made.It improves low-mid range torque and some up in the higher RPM as well.Go for it.:thumbsup:Cheers for the info Tony. I will order the Comptech and do the same mod to stop the rattle.

Can't beat the value for money, I mean Toda would be great but I can't justify $1550 when I don't track my car and basically only drive in the city with the occasional country run.

And as you said the Comptech has some good gains down low and some up the top end as well.

Thanks again.

bentusi123
22-09-2008, 06:05 PM
my top speed header just arrived, but i havent put it on yet, do it on wednesday.
it should have some different compare with stock.
personally, i dont think u should spend too much money on header.
or u can looking for second hand, the brand new is too expensive.

Crapdaz
22-09-2008, 06:23 PM
i've got the dc headers equiv to say comptech and no rattles and doesn't have the cracking of the inner flex pipe problem cause it was fixed.

docker
22-09-2008, 06:30 PM
i've got the dc headers equiv to say comptech and no rattles and doesn't have the cracking of the inner flex pipe problem cause it was fixed.Is that the DC ceramic headers? and what is the DC headers like performance wise? Would it be on par as the Comptech?

snYpz
22-09-2008, 08:00 PM
I think they are fairly similar according some of the tsx forums. The only disadvantage of the DC is the flex pipe issues.

Would the headers make a significant improvement without exhaust? Im thinking about comptech headers on my AT euro but concerned about the rattling...

tony1234
22-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Cheers for the info Tony. I will order the Comptech and do the same mod to stop the rattle.

Can't beat the value for money, I mean Toda would be great but I can't justify $1550 when I don't track my car and basically only drive in the city with the occasional country run.

And as you said the Comptech has some good gains down low and some up the top end as well.

Thanks again.
What made my decision easier was i got mine 2nd hand(9mths.old)for $500.Toda is good but at 3 times the price i doubt it'd give me 3 times the gains.

Crapdaz
22-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Is that the DC ceramic headers? and what is the DC headers like performance wise? Would it be on par as the Comptech?
IMO if you want bang for buck go for comptech or DCsports.
Yes ceramic.
As they are both similiar in performance wise.

But if you want performance and have money to blow + also be major brand whore you can go for TODA/JsRacing/5zigen but these may need slight modifications.

To suit O2 sensor and flanges to adapt to the Catalytic converters.

I think they are fairly similar according some of the tsx forums. The only disadvantage of the DC is the flex pipe issues.

Would the headers make a significant improvement without exhaust? Im thinking about comptech headers on my AT euro but concerned about the rattling...
The newer releases have had the inner flex pipe rewelded on the inner side, compared to initial release where it was only on the external diameter.

The headers/extractors play the biggest part in our euro or any cars exhaust and performance as it restricts air flow from the car when compared to stock.
Not sure about like TODA headers compared to say comptech/dcsports.

doosra
23-09-2008, 11:12 PM
i may be considering getting headers as well and am looking for best value for money which it seems is the comptech.

where would i purchase this and can someone give me a rough price it'll cost landed.

Thanks

tony1234
24-09-2008, 07:51 AM
i may be considering getting headers as well and am looking for best value for money which it seems is the comptech.

where would i purchase this and can someone give me a rough price it'll cost landed.

Thanks
Here.http://www.heeltoeauto.com/product.php?productid=45259&cat=2161&page=1 Cost landed i reckon approx.$880

EUR003act
25-09-2008, 10:47 AM

you'll get approx 10kw gain atw with TODA headers using STOCK exhaust!

euros catback is already pretty damn good for a stock system... not much power to be gained there... extractors and cat will be where you find all your gains :thumbsup:

snYpz
25-09-2008, 12:23 PM
^ thanks Justin.

I know Toda are good but im not a baller like you! :p :thumbsup:

Crapdaz
25-09-2008, 12:51 PM
bang for buck.
go for topspeed or dc or comptech.

EUR003act
25-09-2008, 12:54 PM
^ thanks Justin.

I know Toda are good but im not a baller like you! :p :thumbsup:

lol even topspeed / dc / comptech should get your around 5-8kw gain with stock exhaust...

hooyn
21-04-2009, 08:58 AM
5zigen is $1133
comptech is $836.63

is the difference between the 5zigen and comptech worth the 300 dollars ?

Crapdaz
21-04-2009, 10:47 AM
the 5zigen is a race header and is 1 piece.
i think it needs modification cause it is designed for CL7,

aaronng
21-04-2009, 11:31 AM
You need to check the tsx.acurazine forums to see if anyone has fitted the 5zigen without modifications. Some need to be modified, others don't. You almost always have to either lengthen the O2 sensor wire or flip the O2 port 180 degrees with a JDM header.

craze
21-04-2009, 02:29 PM
How much would you gain from a catback exhaust say fujitsubo?

aaronng
21-04-2009, 03:46 PM
How much would you gain from a catback exhaust say fujitsubo?

How long is a piece of short string? I am guessing 2-3kW.

Crapdaz
21-04-2009, 03:49 PM
How long is a piece of short string? I am guessing 2-3kW.
gotta love your trick questions.... :P

EuroAccord13
21-04-2009, 03:57 PM
you'll get approx 10kw gain atw with TODA headers using STOCK exhaust!

euros catback is already pretty damn good for a stock system... not much power to be gained there... extractors and cat will be where you find all your gains :thumbsup:

I've tried and dyno tested quite a few exhaust combinations between headers and cat back systems (single and dual)... The stock catback is actually quite restrictive, especially on the mufflers. the mid section is good for up to around 120kws odd. There are negligible gains on upgrading the cat con even if it to a metal cat.

EuroAccord13
21-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Legal Cat back systems for NA cars are the worst BFYB mod for NA cars in terms of dollars per KWs.. Gains are minimal and they are only an accessory to other modifications which needs to be in place to really extract power out of it i.e headers, intake, headwork etc....

sodaz
21-04-2009, 07:33 PM
I wonder if it's better to just to get an exhaust place to modify the stock exhaust slightly so it flows better. I've got I & E already so maybe that will help me extract a bit more power.

integral90
21-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I wonder if it's better to just to get an exhaust place to modify the stock exhaust slightly so it flows better. I've got I & E already so maybe that will help me extract a bit more power.

You can get your resonator cut out and replace your mufflers with some higher flowing ones. But it's still only a 2 1/8" system, not enough for a K24 to breathe properly

aaronng
21-04-2009, 11:03 PM
You can get your resonator cut out and replace your mufflers with some higher flowing ones. But it's still only a 2 1/8" system, not enough for a K24 to breathe properly

You have a special car. My car uses its intake to breath, not its bunghole. The fart comes out of that hole.

integral90
22-04-2009, 12:29 AM
You have a special car. My car uses its intake to breath, not its bunghole. The fart comes out of that hole.

Run a few laps of the track only breathing in :p

You know exactly what I mean you sneaky Ronng...

Crapdaz
22-04-2009, 07:57 AM
arron and his cheap sh0ts everytime he can get one in :)

racerwannabe
22-04-2009, 01:08 PM
I've tried and dyno tested quite a few exhaust combinations between headers and cat back systems (single and dual)... The stock catback is actually quite restrictive, especially on the mufflers. the mid section is good for up to around 120kws odd. There are negligible gains on upgrading the cat con even if it to a metal cat.

I agree. After changing the stock exhaust to 5zigen dual i've noticed that the engine is freer reving...although this is with the DC copy header..

Crapdaz
22-04-2009, 02:26 PM
I agree. After changing the stock exhaust to 5zigen dual i've noticed that the engine is freer reving...although this is with the DC copy header..
I wonder if yours is more free than mine.
Since yours is dual and mine is single.

I reckon yours might be cause it splits into 2x 2.5"

racerwannabe
22-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I wonder if yours is more free than mine.
Since yours is dual and mine is single.

I reckon yours might be cause it splits into 2x 2.5"

well i haven't measured the split pipes but i'm pretty sure they are less than 2.5" at the time when i installed them. It has a mid-muffler (not sure if thats what it's called) and a resonator before the rears..is yours the same setup?

integral90
22-04-2009, 07:33 PM
well i haven't measured the split pipes but i'm pretty sure they are less than 2.5" at the time when i installed them. It has a mid-muffler (not sure if thats what it's called) and a resonator before the rears..is yours the same setup?

If before the split it's 2.5" it should go into 2" for the splits. That's what mine is gonna be like

Crapdaz
23-04-2009, 08:03 AM

From CAT - Small section 1" long of 2" and expands to 2.5" throughout.