PDA

View Full Version : Strut Tower Studs

eg_08_wa
22-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Heys,

this may sound stupid, coming from a person who actually works for honda, but i was wondering, how many of you out there, when changing suspension (ie stock suspension to coilovers etc) have actually changed the strut tower bolts?

According to the microcat system, honda states that this must be changed, so was just wondering, those who have changed to coilovers, have you experienced any issues with the bolts? have u re-used them or replaced them?

cheers

bennjamin
22-09-2008, 07:34 PM
bolts ? there is only NUTS in the strut tower ( 3 that hold the actual shock top and 2 that hold the chassisbrace).
Honda states these should be replaced as they are like lock nuts - many parts of the suspension have a one use only according to honda....

mind you , having installed a good 20 or so coilover sets into Accord Euros , i reused the OEM parts and tightened to above OEM spec torque settings to make sure. Not too TIGHT tho as the top bolts CAN snap quite easily.

EUR003act
22-09-2008, 09:39 PM
ive never replaced mine :)

no problems, no coming loose, no snapping, no strut falling out... :thumbsup:

kitbkk
22-09-2008, 10:00 PM
plus one on that. i have not replaced them and they are fine.

Crapdaz
23-09-2008, 08:15 AM
They are fine unless there is a defect where there isn't enough tread protruding out from the nut.

tony1234
23-09-2008, 08:24 AM
Me neither.I wonder if i should change them just to be safe??What do you reckon Ben?

bennjamin
23-09-2008, 08:33 AM
as i said above - honda designed most of these bolts or nuts to be replaced with new when refitting suspension. Mind you , i have never replaced nuts or bolts in any suspension and the standard is fine as long as torqued properly.

so , dont worry about it.

Suntzu
23-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Ive got stock nuts! :eek:

Lol. I mean they used the same nuts for my Tein SS install. My cars still here, as are my nuts...

aaronng
23-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Heys,

this may sound stupid, coming from a person who actually works for honda, but i was wondering, how many of you out there, when changing suspension (ie stock suspension to coilovers etc) have actually changed the strut tower bolts?

The 3 bolts securing the strut to the strut tower are a part of the coilover. When you take the stock suspension out, the bolts come out with it. The 2 bolts that hold the strut to firewall bar don't get touched when you are replacing the strut, so you don't need to replace those. Also, you replace the NUT, not the stud (unless you feel like hammering out the stud from the suspension or strut tower!).

eg_08_wa
23-09-2008, 06:18 PM
thx for the information and correction :)