PDA

View Full Version : So I went fast on a speed bump....

DC4Integra98
22-09-2008, 11:27 PM
When lowered 2.5" on a Integra, and now I hear a knocking/rattling noise from the undercarriage at the front, right underneath the passenger/drivers side.

I had a look under (still dark) and couldn't feel out what was making the noise.

At no acceleration the knocking noise would start. However idle = no knocking/rattle

Anyone able to diagnose this problem for me?

lil_foy
22-09-2008, 11:33 PM
So if you rev the engine in neutral it will knock?
What about cruising along at a steady speed?

Have you checked nothing is touching the cvs?

nick_sixx
22-09-2008, 11:34 PM
i had the same problem going over the beams on a bridge when all the road was chopped up for roadworks.... check the top of the shock tower in the engine bay, and see if the little washer that holds the rubber ring at the top has broken off

DC4Integra98
22-09-2008, 11:35 PM
So if you rev the engine in neutral it will knock?
What about cruising along at a steady speed?

Have you checked nothing is touching the cvs?

Doesn't seem to knock in neutral.

Cruising along at stead speed YES!

Will check that soon enough cheers

lil_foy
22-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Just check all moving parts, because if its only making them when the gearbox is moving then it's highly likely to be one of those parts.

DC4Integra98
22-09-2008, 11:40 PM
hmmm, i'm thinking it might be one of the shields underneath the car as it only occurred about 15mins ago when I didn't see a sneaky speed bump and went over it.

Then the knocking sounds begun. Will check everything tomorrow but by looking underneath the car so far, I haven't found anything to be touching the ground etc.

lil_foy
22-09-2008, 11:42 PM
Pull off your left wheel and check all in the guard aswell.

DC4Integra98
22-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Pull off your left wheel and check all in the guard aswell.

Will do, thanks!

Also, noise disappears on acceleration i.e. vibration only

DC4Integra98
23-09-2008, 12:10 AM
i had the same problem going over the beams on a bridge when all the road was chopped up for roadworks.... check the top of the shock tower in the engine bay, and see if the little washer that holds the rubber ring at the top has broken off

Just checked the washers that hold the rubber ring. Everything seems fine in that area...

My current guess is that a screw on the splash guards may have come off. When you push on the splash guard, should you be able to push it in and out?

Tried to replicate the sound with it but its not as loud. From the inside, the knocking is very noticeable.

tct
23-09-2008, 12:51 AM
i had similar problem. i jacked it up then went under to see that the heat shield had been bent n was touchin the exhaust =S bent it back n no more knocking =D

DC4Integra98
23-09-2008, 09:10 AM
i had similar problem. i jacked it up then went under to see that the heat shield had been bent n was touchin the exhaust =S bent it back n no more knocking =D

Yep I think this is it.

I just looked under thoroughly just then and the heat shield or splash guard? at the front is bent outwards on one side.

Tried to jack the car up but car is too low for my hydraulic jack now haha

btw... this guard thing is essential? As in I shouldn't remove it else water will get into the engine bay?

tct
23-09-2008, 10:37 AM
haha lol thats y u use a good old fashion scissor jack then jack it up with hydraulic thats wat i had to do =P.

not sure if its essential but i think it is illegal to not have it =S

vinnY
23-09-2008, 10:41 AM
just drive one side on to a brick so you can jack up the front