PDA

View Full Version : JDM B16A > Cam-Belt Rubbing..

VTEChnique
04-10-2004, 12:27 AM
Well after sorting out most other problems, the rubbing sound from the cam-belt-cover was getting worse and I was concerned as to the health of my new timing belt.

I removed the valve-cover to inspect the timing belt.. what did I find ?

I found the timing-belt has 1/3 slipped off the cam-gears and had been rubbing on both the cam-belt-cover and the inside ov the valve cover !!

There were deposits of shredded/burnt rubber inside the valve-cover and the cam-belt-cover, the timing-belt shows a little wear on the outer edge of the belt where it had been rubbing.

Now obvioulsy it is a waste of time for me to just replace the timing belt AGAIN if the cause of the problem isnt rectified, but I am not sure what would cause this. I only have D-series Manual and have looked and the crankshaft-sprocket seems to be the only possible place where the belt could be caused to slip off the pulleys.. In the D-series Manual, there are two belt-guides that fit either side of the crankshaft sproket ( -I0I- ). I am thinking the super-workshop that fitted my B16A and also the TIming Belt have forgotten to put one of these belt-guides back on ( -0I- ) ??

But I cannot inspect the Crankshaft Sprocket or belt-guides without removing the crankshaft pulley, all belts and then the cam-belt cover. Now while I am capable of removing these items, I am not 100% confident in re-fitting the belts and the crankshaft pulley.

Please let me know what you think, or if any of you have had a similar problem etc.. thanks guys in advance

Rufes1
04-10-2004, 12:39 AM
I did a timing belt on a Rav4 on friday that had the exact problem, the belt was wayyy to loose and was slapping around against the timing belt cover. Check the tension of the belt. They have a spring loaded tensioner I think?? If so have a look at where the tensioner is sitting in relation to its bolt. If it is at the tightest setting already you have a problem. If not crack the tensioner bolt and let it re adjust the tension and see if that helps.

If the tensioner is at its tightest position already and it is still much too loose then there is a possibility the wrong belt was fitted, try grab a number off the belt and match it up with what your supposed to have. However if its been rubbing on the case you might not be able to get a number.If its the right belt, and the tension is still too loose, take the belt off and inspect the tensioner, make sure for starters it isnt noisy. Then put the tensioner back in along with the new belt, adjust the tensioner and see what the tension is like. Altho this sounds like there should be no difference, you would be surprised, the belts can do some weird things the way they sit.

Alternatively if it doesnt have a spring loaded tensioner try simply tightening it up provided it isnt already at its tightest position.

Remember when installing the belt, rotate twice and recheck your marks.

p.s; why dont you just take it back to the shop that did it and make them fix it :P :)

VTEChnique
04-10-2004, 01:09 AM
if anything the belt is too tight - I could barely slide the belt back into the middle of the pulley.

Why dont I take it back to the workshop ?? well Firstly they've done a ****ed job so far and dont really like the thought of them touching my motor anymore. Secondly I still owe the $600 and I fear they will be pricks and hold my car there untill they recieve full payment. Thirdly, I have not decided what to do with the workshop in relation to all the problems they didnt address etc, but I want to know exactly what's up with it before I take it to them or someone else to fix.

ECU-MAN
04-10-2004, 01:11 AM
sorry to say but the only way to check is to take the pully off and have a look, to be safe id say change the belt as well incase its been damaged. take it back to the dudes who did it and get them to fix it.

Rufes1
04-10-2004, 01:16 AM
mmmmm its very weird for it to slide off the pulleys, especially if its nice and tight, youll have to rip off the crank pulley and see if anythings out of the ordinary

VTEChnique
04-10-2004, 01:21 AM
hmm yeah I will be putting another NEW timing belt on - I fitted THAT one for peace of mind.. The workshop can pay for it though - I supplied them brand new timing belt and now it's like this..

Like I said I suspect the lower belt-guides are missing. when I talked to the workshop in Friday the dude said some crap about some bearing going or some crap - but I cant see how that would pulle the belt off.

far out working full time in the city and workshop out of the city, I cant get off work to drop my car off or pick it up from the workshop.. so that's last resort.

note: belt has not come OFF - is only1/3 off theedge.

Rufes1
04-10-2004, 01:23 AM
yeh the idler bearing?

ECU-MAN
04-10-2004, 01:29 AM
chances are they forgot to only put the one in thats between and the pully and the cover. dont listen to the faulty bearing crap as it would be making noisy bearing sounds, and the belt should still run true, the crank guides are the only thing that guide the belt in a B16XX

VTEChnique
04-10-2004, 01:35 AM
hmm I need a diagram of the pulley-side of a B16A.. anyone know any online ?

ECU-MAN
04-10-2004, 02:50 AM
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/pics/b16A1-timming.jpg

this is from a B16A1

KB
04-10-2004, 03:06 PM
far out working full time in the city and workshop out of the city, I cant get off work to drop my car off or pick it up from the workshop.

*sigh* looks like I have something to do this week again. ;)

Weq
04-10-2004, 06:18 PM
the whole point of the workshop doing the swap would be because u have warrenty. those gimps.. fiorslty the map and now this... gimps. get it fixed, then run!

VTEChnique
04-10-2004, 09:48 PM
hahathanks ECU-MAN.. that's exactly what I needed.. essentially it does look the same configuration as the mighty D-series. I still suspect they've misplaced those Belt-guides :(

Weq, yeah I guess i'll have to get them to look at it then RUN haha

KB.. wink wink :wave: