PDA

View Full Version : Trade in question

vince
04-11-2003, 09:42 AM
Just wondering if i was to trade my car in to a dealer would it be better if my car was completely stock or slightly modified like mag, exhaust, tacho, pod filter? Does anyone know of a good dealer in Sydney that has a good range of cars and are also fair with trade in price?

VTEChnique
04-11-2003, 10:47 AM
when it comes to trade-in... the dealer will offer you more money if car is STOCK as possible.. you are better off selling your aftermarket parts seperately.

get your car professionally detailed before you trade - you will get extra $1000 from a dumb dealer..

Civic Type R
04-11-2003, 11:16 AM
That is correct.
Dealers will pay more for a car that is as close to stock as possible.
Generally all aftermarket boltons will reduce the value of the car. As odd as it sounds this is fact.
I did some work at a local Honda Dealer and am a fully trained New / used car salesman. There are some tips and hints we look for when people like you come thru the door.
Take [vtechnique]'s advice ! and sell off all your mods because you wont get any more for them in there.

ek
04-11-2003, 11:23 AM
While some dealers give half decent trade in's, most give you below what you could get in the private market.

I'd say your better off taking off the mods, and then putting a ad in the Tradingpost to see if it sells there.

vince
04-11-2003, 11:59 AM
Yeah that's the hassle i don't really want. Having to turn it back to stock and then advertising it, waiting for people to inspect it.....haha it will probably cost me more to get someone to turn it back to stock then selling the parts.

skoota
04-11-2003, 01:46 PM
Just sell it privately through the trading post or something like that - always get more bang for ya buck. Trade ins suck really... It's annoying selling it and seeing the tyre-kickers and dip shits that inspect your car but it's worth it for the extra couple of grand you'd get compared to a dealer. :)

Setanta
04-11-2003, 02:42 PM
I got 4 1/2 grand for an '88 Civic trade-in about 3 1/2 years ago so sometimes it works. The car was a bit beaten up but had a new motor and exhaust and mags/suspension work. I doubt I would have got more for it privately, but in general you wont get your money back on your mods. Sell them off individually.