PDA

View Full Version : Intake question

Denchy
04-10-2004, 01:02 PM
I am seeing some phat arse intakes for sale from various traders here on OH and out of Import Tuner and so on. My question is : When the intake is relocated with the air filter to the inner of your front bar wont this put the owner at risk of getting a dose of H2o in the wet season? I have seen a valve/joint on the Big buck AEM and Injen intakes what does this do? how does it work?

But I will tell you what I want what I really really want is: has anyone had any dramas with this and what are the pros and cons with this.

Cheers

Scooty :wave:

Terry
04-10-2004, 03:46 PM
i did the cold air intake for my car.....well what i do is to make a few small hole in the lowest point of the plastic tunnel.....and i dont drive fast in rainny days~ :)

SPEEDCORE
04-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Denchy mate...... the AEM V2 which I think you make reference to works on the principal that air going into the engine will travel along the path of least resistance..... therefore if the filter is the behind the bumper and gets submerged, the air path has least resistance up higher in the tubing where the valve is so will start to take air in from there rather than the submerged filter.

wynode
04-10-2004, 04:56 PM
So there are two filters apart fro mthe main pod ?

Weq
04-10-2004, 06:20 PM
the AEM bypass valve has been know to fail on muiltiple occasions. it isnt worth a penny.

SIKCVC
04-10-2004, 08:08 PM
dont put the filter behind the bar you'll get hydro lock... its very costly.

Put the filter in an eclosure in the engine bay and have the enclosure sucking air from behind the bar... when I say behind the bar I mean just through that 3inch hole, no more, if you want to make an air scoop that pushes air up to the hole do that too, but the longer the pipe the more lag you will create... keep it short and simple.

EuroAccord13
04-10-2004, 11:42 PM
My filter sits behind the front bar.. Have seen water on the DryCharger but so far no Hydrolock...

Yspool
25-10-2004, 03:31 PM
Just bringing this up again for some help from ppl, I am too now faced with the endless options of air intake systems on the market, What do you recommend ? What have you got and how does well does it work?

Any input is a big help thanks!

M

luzinit
25-10-2004, 07:01 PM
j's racing copy is what i have, and i like it alot, tho i will need to make a box for it to drive around in summer as heat soak is quite evident on those 30+ days! response is alot better, i cant really say if i gained from seat of pants but it sure does make alot of noise :P

joneblaze
25-10-2004, 07:29 PM
But it certainly sounds beefy on VTEEKK tones! ;)
What a crazy intake for your b16a..hehe. :)

Mark, what's your budget? AEM CAI/SRI off Ebay? $1k Mugen Airbox? Might want to try and source a Mugen-esque Comptech Icebox from US? J's racing/Simota J's Copy/Memory Fab intake etc etc etc

Decisions decisions..... :)

*DC4 sticks to K&N pod, stock airbox and dodgy $5 Bunning's Warehouse piping for now...*

pssst... there's an awesome article regarding intakes on www.team-integra.net

egSi
25-10-2004, 08:01 PM
scott a couple of words of widsom:

K+N STOCK BOX

put em together and u r set, for the price of some of these big intakes u can get a frickin TB or something

nedgeworth
25-10-2004, 08:39 PM
scott a couple of words of widsom:

K+N STOCK BOX

put em together and u r set, for the price of some of these big intakes u can get a frickin TB or something

I'll second this!! And so easy to just DIY. I've give you a look see at my fullsik setup next time your around man :wave:

Yspool
25-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Yeah i have a budget of about $400-$500, so im open for anything except the mugen! Im think the ice box does anyone know much about this?

Theres a pic of my engine bay in my gallery of how i have it now...i want to get rid of the stock pipping.....

geo41e
26-10-2004, 10:09 AM
i would suggest a js racing copy intake... + a proper box/heat shield that seals up the airfitler from the engine bay... + a 2.5 - 3" heat resistant hose from ur bumper to your filter.