PDA

View Full Version : Overtighten header stud, stripped thread...Options?

CB7_OWNER
25-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Hi!

Today, i had weird sound coming from my engine bay, and concluded it was my gasket gone.. (i've had aftermarket headers on before, but reverted back to stock half a year ago)..

Soo everything was going well, until the final process, when i was in a hurry to get the car running again putting the headers back on. And i overtighten one of the header studs, that goes into the head..and i realised that the stud wouldn't tighten anymore...which obviously meant i had overtighten it, took the stud out and found pieces of metal shavings around the stud.. so i have now stripped the thread inside the head...

What are my options? just leave it as is. or get it re-threaded someplace? DIY?

Thanks for input.

aimre
25-09-2008, 01:41 AM
helecoil

CB7_OWNER
25-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Please elaborate on this helicoil, and where i can find it..?? google doesnt help much

vinnY
25-09-2008, 01:59 AM
i think he means helicoil (http://images.google.com.au/images?q=helicoil&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi)

CB7_OWNER
25-09-2008, 02:03 AM
tapping i out?? perhaps?

aaronng
25-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Take the stud off, and replace with a new stud.

we tec
25-09-2008, 09:39 AM
hey bro you need a helicoil kit, take a good stud so they can identify the thread to -

coventry fasteners - everywhere look em up
cbc bearings - everywhere look em up
nepean boltmaster - penrith and smithfield

they will sell you a kit which will include the following:
1 x tap
5 x helicoils
1 x helicoil installation tool

if i were you DONT do it yourself take it to a mechanic to do....
basically they will have to drill the hole out to an oversize ( the kit specify's the drill bit size ) then they tap the hole with the tap in the kit which suits the thread on the OUTSIDE of the helicoil, they screw the helicoil in with the tool in the kit, the you put your NEW bolt in which will be the same size as the others as it will suit the INSIDE of the helicoil.....

hope it makes sense, good luck!!