PDA

View Full Version : Learners Lessons!

Nax
25-09-2008, 02:04 PM
STAGE ONE COMPLETE!

went for the first lesson of the L's sessions today, got to skip out on work and ride bikes. Was a piece of cake after i got adjusted, driving a manual car helps thats for sure. But to be honest i was crapping my pants when i first got on, didnt want to be that one guy who drops his bike or takes someone out lol. all in all a great course thus far, bit slow and broken up tho, u start getting into it then they stop you and take u into the class :(

now just got to do the final lesson tomoro and I finally got my bike license!!! HOORAY! anyone else going for theres atm?

OH threads + defected car= inspiration to finally get them lol

lo0se3r
25-09-2008, 10:03 PM
congratz nax, stage 2 is gonna be much more fun you get to go above the 15km marK! ZOMGWTFBBQSAUCE!

lol soon you'll be on your bike, but take it easy don't wanna hear you talk in the "how did you drop your bike" thread :thumbsup:

nvmee
26-09-2008, 07:20 AM
LOL .... impossible to stack on a vtr :P

Nax
26-09-2008, 03:25 PM
iiiiiiiii suck

guess who caved under pressure. was doing great the whole time, teachers said i was doin splendid, asked if i had ridden before etc. then assess came up, i was the last to go n nerves got the best of me. stuffed up a gear change going into a corner which made me lose points for shifting, slowing down in a corner, and stopped looking around the corner

= epic fails! lol

good thing i get two more tries, i feel like a dipshit tho, but in the long run its got a system for a reason, better to retake the test then go out and get creamed :D now just gotta get more time off work and rebook

lo0se3r
26-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Ohhh man bad luck!

dw experience is gained, you rather fall down get up, dust yourself off and walk away then fall down... and DIE

Nax
26-09-2008, 04:14 PM
indeed, part of it was that i switched to a cbf250 the second day so i had to get reused to the clutch which was kinda a dumb move but i figure if im buying one i might as well learn on it.

the cbf kicks teh shit out of the scorpioZ's that the others were using tho, such a nicer sound/ride

lo0se3r
26-09-2008, 04:37 PM
so cbf it is? or still undecided?

Nax
26-09-2008, 04:54 PM
ya went with the cbf, decided i didnt need to spend the extra if i was just gonna upgrade, its still a great bike and i like the sound of the thumper so works out nice.

Nax
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
well im trying to keep this section of OH from closing, so im gonna keep posting shit!

got my bike yesterday. sooo shiny! looked beautiful sitting there waiting for me to get home, calling to me! i unpacked all my tasty new gear and tried it on, very sexy. im sorry there is just something that makes u feel like a complete badass walking around in bike gear.

went for about an hour, that was all i could handle lol, not for being sore, or bored of it, but because im pretty sure i had a stroke from all the adrenalin. it is officially the funnest and scariest thing ive ever done. i was cruising around the back streets for the most part, negotiating tiny roundabouts and trying not to clean myself up every corner. must learn to shut off blinkers damnit!

all in all was great fun, cant wait till im more confident on my bike and can really enjoy the ride and concentrate on whats happening around me instead of what im trying to do with my hands and feet.

for all u fence sitters, go get ur dam licenses! it rocks

chunky
08-10-2008, 01:31 PM
do bikes have vtak?

Nax
08-10-2008, 01:32 PM
bikes are constantly in vtec

rawr
08-10-2008, 03:19 PM
do bikes have vtak?

i hear honda bikes have a vtec sorta system but that could just be rubbish talk

Nax
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
i dont think so man, maybe the bigger ones, but its a single cylinder, if vtac kicked in i think it would cause a rip in the space-time continum and implode from under me

chunky
08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
hahahahaah
jsut like in ur av

Nax
09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
lol, that would be amazing to see on a bike

went for another good ride yesterday, second one felt alot better, didnt worry about dying so much, went in a bit of traffic and got it upto speed on the major roads, again only for about an hour tho. still was much better all around, cept when i forgot to put my kickstand up and a bistander had to help me cuz i couldnt figure out why the bike wouldnt start...noob! haha

lo0se3r
09-10-2008, 10:58 AM
bikes do have vtak, eg. the VFR but in bikes its much more subtle, you dont feel it rawwrr like a b18c or something

Nax
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
hmmm, i dunno, i see no vtec logos on my engine

lo0se3r
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
LOL! not all honda bikes have VTAK!!

preludacris
10-10-2008, 12:37 AM
yeah learning to ride a motorbike, is like learning to fly. lol reminds me of that feeling. it feels so good. similar with learning to snowboard too.

i learnt on cbf too. i like it. really comfortable seating and riding positoin. probaly not as fun as something like a cbr250. but its more comfortable to ride.

Nax
11-10-2008, 08:29 AM
ya, i figured ide go for ease of use instead of fun/looking good, when i upgrade tho ill get something a bit nicer, im eyeing up the hornets atm but its a while away so well see how it goes

corn_flakes
11-10-2008, 01:41 PM
nice nice!

are the courses in adelaide you do to get your learner's licence similar to the courses in sydney?

i'm paranoid about not passing the course now after hearing u failed it the first time. :(

i've got my course next week.

although i've already bought a VTR250 and have been riding it a bit around the streets. lol.

Nax
11-10-2008, 01:42 PM
dude u get three tries, it really doesnt matter, i aced it the second time, no marks off at all so its not like u have to pay the 350 again or anything.

i have no idea if its the same course in sydney....i didnt really want to take it twice in two states just for kicks lol. i assume it would be similair tho lol

corn_flakes
11-10-2008, 01:47 PM
oh, u get 3 tries on the day?

lol i thought they made u rebook and do the course all over again.

Nax
11-10-2008, 01:48 PM
not on the day, u have to rebook, but /cry least its free

only redo the last day

corn_flakes
11-10-2008, 01:54 PM
oh, fair enough.

not sure how it works in nsw. i just hope i pass it first go. lol.

Nax
11-10-2008, 01:55 PM
meh, it was way better second time around, i practiced on my bike at home so when i went i could focus on the controls instead of being focused on HOLY **** IM ON A BIKE

corn_flakes
11-10-2008, 02:00 PM
hahaha yeh it was the same for me when i first got on my bike, getting used to where everything was.

at the moment i'm just trying to practice making smooth gear changes, cornering, and taking off.

so hopefully all this (dare i say) illegal riding without a learner's licence, will pay off. :)

Nax
11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
paid off for me hardcore man, made a massive diff

Nax
20-10-2008, 01:31 PM
so now that ive got my L's, how long did you all wait before going for the next stage?? the guys at the course said wait around 3-6 months, but i dont know. how hard is it? do they just assess u or is there a course again?

Zdster
20-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Assuming it is like Victoria, it is a different test. I would look at doing it in around 3 months (again assuming it is like in Victoria)

Nax
20-10-2008, 02:28 PM
i know its a different test, but is it just like u rock up and its just an assessment, or wats the drill? do they let u practice a couple times and show u how to fix it up or is it just rock up and have to do everything first go or wat?

Zdster
20-10-2008, 02:43 PM
i know its a different test, but is it just like u rock up and its just an assessment, or wats the drill? do they let u practice a couple times and show u how to fix it up or is it just rock up and have to do everything first go or wat?

Again, if it is like Victoria, it is exactly the same drill as the first test (minus a written component). You show up, do some practice, they teach you some advanced riding stuff and then you do a test. In Victoria it is a points based system and it depends on your instructor as to whether they give you multiple shots at the test. It is pretty straight forward.

Nax
20-10-2008, 02:49 PM
ah ok thats what i was asking. thanks

Henessaayyy
26-10-2008, 02:00 PM
nice nice!

are the courses in adelaide you do to get your learner's licence similar to the courses in sydney?

i'm paranoid about not passing the course now after hearing u failed it the first time. :(

i've got my course next week.

although i've already bought a VTR250 and have been riding it a bit around the streets. lol.

You won't fail, Its a piece of piss in sydney... Dumb asses in my group that didn't know their left and right passed the course.

It's a course for people who have never ridden before.. So you can't fail...It's a learning course :)

na-118
26-10-2008, 03:20 PM
the only way you can fail is if you drop the bike 3 times

Nax
27-10-2008, 08:13 AM
na thats just an instant fail. there are heaps and heaps of little point infractions that add up if u suck bad enough.

for me i stuffed up the downshift going into the corner, which meant i decelerated in a corner -3, took my eyes off the corner-3, didnt enter/exit as smoothly and quickly as i should have -3, and cant remember what the other 4 were for. but oh well, i was the only guy to ace it next time around so im happy

Gawdam
27-10-2008, 01:55 PM
shite !!
I'm packing it... going for my L's session tomorrow morning.
lol

The problems people were saying with downshifts and failing, could somebody explain that plzz? (yes, i'm nooby)
i don't get it, did they fail you because you shifted during your turn?
too early? late?
cheers

Nax
27-10-2008, 02:31 PM
na wat happend was because i shifted late i panicked and did a bunch of other things, to be honest it was cuz i dropped my bike earlier and tho they said it was ok from that point on the gears were retarded to shift for some reason, had to overrev it and jam it upwards, but oh wells

its an easy test man, they give u two days of riding to get it all down, and even then u have 10 points to lose before u have to come back, and even then u get to do it for free so its no biggy. all the assessment is is starting from standstill, going up two gears, down one, around half a circle bigger then a roundabout (easy) then up one gear on the straight, then down and around another big circle, then stopping within 2m of a line, easy as.

by the end of the second day u will be able to do all of it easy peasy, just try not to be the last one to go thats what happend to me and i choked cuz the whole group is watching u lol.

na-118
27-10-2008, 02:34 PM
in sydney you drop it 3 times then your out, a girl in my class dropped it twice, then later on the day she dropped it again, then she got sent home

Nax
27-10-2008, 02:35 PM
ah, they never told us that, but obviosly they were like, gg come back when u learn how to balance lol

if u stall it 3 times in the final accessment u fail, but not a single person stalls it as there is no deduction for overrevving lol

Henessaayyy
27-10-2008, 02:54 PM
In sydney, there really isnt any assessment.. It's just learning to ride...
You can't possibly fail.. A girl in the group next to mine dropped her bike, she still passed and I saw her the same day going to do the computer test to get her license..

It's a piece of cake, you have to be a complete wreck and moron to fail your pre-learners course in Sydney...

Unless you're in Adelaide, like Nax.. Then goodluck!

Nax
27-10-2008, 02:56 PM
awww u guys suck! sif u do do a computer test:(

u shall win for sure then

na-118
27-10-2008, 03:02 PM
henesy, there is an assesment you ride around that little track they set up for about 10 minutes they asess you on it blinkering, mirrors headcheck. and so on,

Henessaayyy
27-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that, if you're doing something wrong, they'll tell you anyway... So you can't really fail... True?

na-118
27-10-2008, 10:53 PM
true, you can't really fail, but if you drop your bike then yeah you can fail, oh yeah and if you fail the computer test yO! LMAO went in thinking im some sick **** got one wrong packing bricks but i passes anyways LMAO henessaayyy what bike you got? :P

Gawdam
28-10-2008, 11:58 AM
haha, did the first session today at rouse hill... your right it's pretty straight forward.
Half of it was basic mounting dismounting, and learning crontols, getting used to front breaking and rears, and both together.

Then after that, we were doing laps of the cones ect ect, leaning in and all that.. not too bad

plus the instructors are helpful... Lol...
not so nervous now.. haha

na-118
28-10-2008, 12:03 PM
yeah ther are very helpful, in and out of the classroom. mount on, stand up, indicator, mirrors, headcheck and go, set up and squeeeeze

bizee_1
30-10-2008, 12:35 AM
i've gotta go book the pre-learners sometime soon !

2 mates did their pre-learners early this week. Had to travel to Tuggerah, as everything else local had been booked out or something. (maybe that was just for this week....)

guess i'll be the same though, packing it all nervous hehe i've been on a quad bike. but i guess its nothing the same...

Nax
30-10-2008, 07:59 AM
ya same in adelaide, during the week u get in pretty quick but weekends are months in advance

Gawdam
02-11-2008, 06:01 PM
i've gotta go book the pre-learners sometime soon !

2 mates did their pre-learners early this week. Had to travel to Tuggerah, as everything else local had been booked out or something. (maybe that was just for this week....)

guess i'll be the same though, packing it all nervous hehe i've been on a quad bike. but i guess its nothing the same...

Lol... to be honest, it's probably the easiest thing i did...
There were four of us in the group, 2 of which had never ridden before. (only pushbikes)
And at the end of our course the instructor pretty much said, your riding skill is good enough to go for your P's now, from what she had seen.
:-s
soooo, you can probably tell how easy the courses/tests are.

Nax
03-11-2008, 08:04 AM
that sucks:( they suggested a minimum 3 months on road before taking p's, dont know if ill wait that long, but still.

Gawdam
03-11-2008, 08:10 AM
that sucks:( they suggested a minimum 3 months on road before taking p's, dont know if ill wait that long, but still.

LOL.. technically we can't until we finish 3 months (i think).
but she said from what you've learnt and how your riding, you could most probably go for it and pass (hypothetically). haha

Nax
03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
ahh i got ya. ya our guy was like, dont even bother trying if you cant do this this and this, which will take u around 3 months to develop, ull just be wasting your time lol.

J-TODA
07-11-2008, 02:02 AM
can u do the pre Learner course if u dont have a licence for instance suspensed licence however hold off doing the actual computer test until the licence returns?

aramiK
31-12-2008, 05:11 PM
nah J-toda, they need a current one.

Just finished this yesterday myself..I think I did ok.. haha managed to get to 35km when the guy wasn't look:P time to get a RR250 wooohoooo

EK4R
09-01-2009, 01:22 AM
did my Ps last week after 3 months on Ls. bascially what your instructor said to you is pretty much right. what you learnt on Ls is bascially what you will be tested on yours Ps except just a bit harder.

1- emergency brake
1- emergency swerving
1- fast cornering

thats it

Zdster
09-01-2009, 08:20 AM
did my Ps last week after 3 months on Ls. bascially what your instructor said to you is pretty much right. what you learnt on Ls is bascially what you will be tested on yours Ps except just a bit harder.

1- emergency brake
1- emergency swerving
1- fast cornering

thats it

Good stuff George. Who did you do the test through? I would recommend also doing some advanced rider training at some point as well - very beneficial.

EK4R
09-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Good stuff George. Who did you do the test through? I would recommend also doing some advanced rider training at some point as well - very beneficial.

hey mike did it with armstrong with the 'bring a mates' rate lol and since i did my Ls there i thought why not.

good thing about them is you get 2 tries if you fail so that was comforting.

no more showing your plate at the back of your bike now yay. im riding my friends 600 atm damn they are easy to ride compare to a 250 which u have to rev the crap out of....i want 1 :cool:

hooyn
13-01-2009, 10:30 PM
whats a good learners bike ? i just got my learner last week and plan on getting a bike soon. want to start off with 250cc and prolly stick with that for a few years.

looking between cbr250 and ninja. ...

?

EK4R
14-01-2009, 04:05 AM
i take ninja over cbr.

unside down forks, more HP, not that many around so quiet rare, and its GREEN!!

its faster, handles better and keep their value quiet well. had mine up for sale last week and already deposit taken...3days. i get commented on my bike whereever i go.

though good thing about cbr is the aftermarket support. their engine sounds pretty good.

both are awesome bikes you cant go wrong.

Zdster
14-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Vtr250

GreekWarrior
14-01-2009, 10:26 PM
whats a good learners bike ? i just got my learner last week and plan on getting a bike soon. want to start off with 250cc and prolly stick with that for a few years.

looking between cbr250 and ninja. ...

?

hey henry what do you have to do to get your learners? is it the same as car learners?

hooyn
14-01-2009, 10:38 PM
hey henry what do you have to do to get your learners? is it the same as car learners?

its so easy. go here and do the 5 questions.

https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/rrtexternal/SelectExam.jsp

over and over again. you just need your cars license for a year and you can go for the learners.

i went in, did the questions and walked away 10 minutes later with bike learners. cost 18.50 i think

GreekWarrior
14-01-2009, 10:44 PM
sweet as

GreekWarrior
14-01-2009, 10:54 PM
so all you need for id is your car licence?

hooyn
15-01-2009, 01:39 AM
yeap.

EK4R
15-01-2009, 03:31 AM
its so easy. go here and do the 5 questions.

https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/rrtexternal/SelectExam.jsp

over and over again. you just need your cars license for a year and you can go for the learners.

i went in, did the questions and walked away 10 minutes later with bike learners. cost 18.50 i think

is that how it is in QLD?they is no actual rd test???

GreekWarrior
15-01-2009, 09:51 AM
no for learner licence