PDA

View Full Version : h22a in eg any good for me?

55EXX
26-09-2008, 08:20 PM
sorry for long post. my brother had his 4th gen prelude smashed into and it was a writeoff. because he was not at fault he still gets to keep his car. the better thing is that his car has a jdm h22a conversion.

i have eg si hatch which is a 92 model and engine is 95 so legally a engine conversion is feasible. as alway everyone loves more power but it is the down sides that are making me reconsider the literally free engine and putting it into my car and needs some advice from those experienced with this swap.

i love the balance/weight balance in my car and think the h22 is too heavy but how does this weight affect the handling of my car. will it lose the agility it has now and to what degree? i know i have to change to stiffer rate springs etc so i am unsure how this will affect the over balance of under/over steer and turn in?

the other is most posts say i will lose ac and powersteering. i'm not fussed bout ac but will the heavy front ended car be too hard to handle unassisted? also is there ways around this? this is a daily car and pwr steering is a god send.

the other big thing is it is a auto and was made for launches which i don't care for and want a manual. now i have read that the achilles heel of the H is the box and a B series box or h2b conversion is the way to go. how much does that cost and are there any techs in bris that have done it?

now after all the extra costs of labour mounts h2b conversion it is just worth me finacially to stick to my plan of a teg vtir b18 conversion (simple easy effective) and not use the h22? in addition to that is is worth me sticking to b series for the handling dynamics of the lighter more suited engine?

thanks in advance for replies.

[ricer]
26-09-2008, 08:28 PM
depending on how much u can sell the jdm h22a for i'd probably get a b18 and keep air cond and power steering

d15z1SUX
26-09-2008, 08:43 PM
h22a will cost more for labour. if you upgrade your suspension with coilovers and swaybars the handling should still be good. think you may have issues with clearance with the headers though so its not good to lower it too much. driveshaft problems are also common because the angle they will sit at unless you go custom???

55EXX
26-09-2008, 08:44 PM
thats the catch my bro wants to see it in my car (thinks it would be nuts) or he is just going to sell it for himself.

trism
26-09-2008, 09:57 PM
There was a thread floating around the other day about it, and the H22 actually only weighs in at no more than 40kg more than a b18, and that was with gearbox, and all engine fluid accounted for.

so in reality, not a huge difference. if you were to do a h2b, then some of the gearbox weight would be removed, so even less then 40kg. thats not a huge amount for the amount of torque you gain. With an LSD imagine how fun it would be out of corners

Cvik_ryda
27-09-2008, 04:44 PM
mate go on modproject racing and have a alook what you can do with a h2b. I got a h swap in a ek and to be honest theres no regret.
good luck

fatboyz39
27-09-2008, 05:42 PM
H2B is only COST effective if your already running a B series running gear.

mr180sx
28-09-2008, 06:36 AM
H2B is only COST effective if your already running a B series running gear.

very true.

Thus getting a free motor is a big bonus, the majority of the costs will be the conversion itself, such as mounts and labour.Power steering can be kept, aircon will take a bit of work but not impossible.

4age8u
28-09-2008, 07:03 PM
my cousin had an h22a in his eg a while ago,it wast nuts i mean nuts! would leave wrx behind till boost kicks hard lol,deff qucicker than his old type R handling wise,u can fell it but its not too badd,and no ac and ps,thats why he sold it lol

55EXX
29-09-2008, 07:26 PM
so the h2b is not cost effective due to me not already having the running gear. i don't want the hassles of the h2b conversion and the labour costs associated. i don't wanna lose p/s or hace hassles keeping it and a/c in sunny qld is nice so keeping it b seems not only common sense but a problem free no headache straight swap requiring basic kiowledge.

40kgs of weight is alot more over the front wheels and also i'm guessing placed quite high so also raising the centre of gravity adversly affecting the dynamics i enjoy. b18 has enough go for me. expect to see a h22 on sale in the trading place in a few weeks.

can i get prelude seats to fit in a eg?