PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Sales Q

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Got a scenario for you all which id like some advice on. Happened to my sister when she went to buy some new rims n tyres for her jazz

- customer walks into tyre store, asks for tyres with rim guard.
- salesman says these tyres have rim guard
- customer buys them tyres along with brand new mags
- customer finds out the tyres havent got the rim guard technology because rims get scratched.

should that customer be entitled to a refund or exchangefor both the mags and tyres?

cheers!

Lukey
27-09-2008, 06:25 PM
whats rim guard?

VTECMACHINE
27-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Rim guard on tyres is there as a slight preventative for gutter rash. It doesn't mean that you will NOT scratch your rims.

So NO, no refund or exchange should be given.

Advise: Learn not to hit gutters.

VTECMACHINE
27-09-2008, 06:28 PM
whats rim guard?

Tiny bit of protruding rubber along the sidewall off the tyre. Does f**k all!

AKILYA666
27-09-2008, 06:29 PM
whats rim guard?

its like a extra flange of rubber on the tyre that protects the rim from gutter rash and alike..

LiKPiC
27-09-2008, 06:32 PM
in the perfect world...yes
unless you've gone ahead and used the products and damaged them or something...

but you'll need to prove that you specifically asked for 'rim guards' and that the salesman misled you...

but just try to talk to the manager of the store.

if not...next step: office of fair trading

Lukey
roflmao, sif you would drive into a gutter anyway.

specialst
Rim guard on tyres is there as a slight preventative for gutter rash. It doesn't mean that you will NOT scratch your rims.

So NO, no refund or exchange should be given.

Advise: Learn not to hit gutters.

although she did ask the salesman, do these tyres have rim guard. clearly they dont so would she be entitled to a refund or exchange for the tyres?

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:34 PM
roflmao, sif you would drive into a gutter anyway.

she claims it happened when reverse parallel. its light scratches.

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:35 PM
the bloke( i assume its a bloke for obvious reasons) sold her tyres that didnt have rim guard. so he sold her the wrong product? so refund?

VTECMACHINE
27-09-2008, 06:36 PM
although she did ask the salesman, do these tyres have rim guard. clearly they dont so would she be entitled to a refund or exchange for the tyres?

Show us some pics....

Rims guard does not protect the rim completely. It is still very easy to scratch rims. If you hit a gutter, you still most likely will scratch the rim. Some tyres have very pronounced rim guard, some as less obvious. Show us a pic first.

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:39 PM
the car aint here atm. the tyres definitely dont hav rim guard.
so again... refuind or no? to both tyres n mag?

Lukey
27-09-2008, 06:40 PM
i just dont reverse parralel park.

VTECMACHINE
27-09-2008, 06:41 PM
I would say no, and don't bother because you probs won't get any where, unless you can prove that Rim guard on tyres will 100% protect your wheels no matter what you throw at them.
I know for a case that rim guard will not 100% protect your rims.

What tyres are these?

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:42 PM
i just dont reverse parralel park.

lol serious? i do it all the time. im just careful not to hit the kerb... my mags have cratches from teh previous owner though :(

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:46 PM
I would say no, and don't bother because you probs won't get any where, unless you can prove that Rim guard on tyres will 100% protect your wheels no matter what you throw at them.
I know for a case that rim guard will not 100% protect your rims.

What tyres are these?

yeah but i mean, id be pissed off that i bought tyres which supposedly had rim guard. id want a refund or exhange for tyres that do.

all she wants is the correct product. so ur still pretty sure she wont get anywhere even though was sold an incorrect product?

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:46 PM
oh and no idea wot tyres they are. just took a glance. she was screaming her head off n i really cbf'd listening to women squeal.

Lukey
27-09-2008, 06:47 PM
how do u know for certain they dont have rim guard?

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:48 PM
theres nothing hanging off the side wall... looks like any other tyre out there.

Lukey
27-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Ok then. TBH, if anyone really thinks a bit of rubber on the sidewall will stop them from scratching their rims is kidding themselves.

VTECMACHINE
27-09-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah but i mean, id be pissed off that i bought tyres which supposedly had rim guard. id want a refund or exhange for tyres that do.

all she wants is the correct product. so ur still pretty sure she wont get anywhere even though was sold an incorrect product?

Well it's worth a try, if you can be effed.

theres nothing hanging off the side wall... looks like any other tyre out there.

Rim guard is not a thing "hangin" off the side wall. Like I said some brands are more pronounced than others. Your best off to post a picture on here, just incase if it does have a small one... otherwise you will look silly.

I'm guessing they might be there, but just aren't as obvious as you think. Some cheaper tyres (i'm assuming she got cheaper ones, as she got a tyre/rim combo from a place like bob jane or something, correct?) only have tiny ones. Do some research on the type of tyre.

migoreng
27-09-2008, 06:53 PM
wow...new tyres and you drive into a gutter already =/

get a blind spot mirrior so you can see where your rear wheel is gonna go when parking..

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Ok then. TBH, if anyone really thinks a bit of rubber on the sidewall will stop them from scratching their rims is kidding themselves.

rim guard is designed so that a light rubs against the kerb will "guard" the "rim". clearly if u come in with a nasty angle n speed a bit of rubber wont do anything, not saying that at all

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:54 PM
wow...new tyres and you drive into a gutter already =/

get a blind spot mirrior so you can see where your rear wheel is gonna go when parking..

tell HER about it! i told her that she should watch how she drives.

im happy with my dc2 vtir and 17's =D

Lukey
27-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Or look our ur window/ open ur door so u can see how close u are.

specialst
27-09-2008, 06:56 PM
boys and girls...
here for advice about the contrary.. not critisism.

specialst
27-09-2008, 07:07 PM
in the perfect world...yes
unless you've gone ahead and used the products and damaged them or something...

but you'll need to prove that you specifically asked for 'rim guards' and that the salesman misled you...

but just try to talk to the manager of the store.

if not...next step: office of fair trading

i missed this one useful reply, cheers LiKPiC :d

yes she specifically asked for Tyres with Rim Guard!
so u say, because she was mislead about the tyres, she is entitled to a refund/echange for rim guard tyres. also since the mags were scratched because of the misleading purchase, the mags should be replaced too?

thanks mate

VTECMACHINE
27-09-2008, 07:08 PM
You just took from this thread, what you wanted to hear and disregarded other comments.

geeang
27-09-2008, 07:09 PM
How long have they been used for? If they haven't been used for very long (i.e. less than 100kms) I'd say theres a possiblity of obtaining a refund/exchange, but since the wheels have already been scratched, you wont be able to get a refund/exchange on those.

You can try to argue a point about the tyres, but you weren't given the wrong wheels. She only has a chance if she says that she bought the wheels, drove around for a day or two and then noticed they didn't have rim guards. No chance if she says "oh I didn't notice they didn't have rim guards till I rubbed a gutter and scratched the rims".

One more point, if she didn't have a witness that was there with her at the time she specifically asked for rim guards, then she is going to have a hard time proving anything.

specialst
27-09-2008, 07:13 PM
You just took from this thread, what you wanted to hear and disregarded other comments.

i havent disregarded the thread at all. just that theres someone out there who said i can get a refund. so id like to explore that option.
if the answer was no, that would be the end of that.
i didnt mean to offend u man, apologies if i have.

jdm_kid
27-09-2008, 07:15 PM
cant get refund. youve already rolled on them.

specialst
27-09-2008, 07:17 PM
How long have they been used for? If they haven't been used for very long (i.e. less than 100kms) I'd say theres a possiblity of obtaining a refund/exchange, but since the wheels have already been scratched, you wont be able to get a refund/exchange on those.

You can try to argue a point about the tyres, but you weren't given the wrong wheels. She only has a chance if she says that she bought the wheels, drove around for a day or two and then noticed they didn't have rim guards. No chance if she says "oh I didn't notice they didn't have rim guards till I rubbed a gutter and scratched the rims".

One more point, if she didn't have a witness that was there with her at the time she specifically asked for rim guards, then she is going to have a hard time proving anything.

i see.
they have been used for less then a week. i hope that she will at least get the right tyres to reduce any further impact when she decides to kiss the kerb.
do u think the refund/exchange is viable?

specialst
27-09-2008, 07:18 PM
cant get refund. youve already rolled on them.

even if she was sold the wrong product?

Lukey
27-09-2008, 07:19 PM
only one way to find out, go ask?

specialst
27-09-2008, 07:20 PM
only one way to find out, go ask?

yeah plan to on thursday.

jdm_kid
27-09-2008, 07:22 PM
even if she was sold the wrong product?

should of checked before buying.

prob have to pay more, low profile tyres have the rim guard dont they? unlike most family chunky tyres

4age8u
27-09-2008, 07:38 PM
haha lol i got rim guard it just cracked and like it was never there so ended up with a cracked tyre and mag F&#(

specialst
27-09-2008, 07:48 PM
yeah she didnt mind paying what it costs. she'll be happy if they will replace the current tyres with Rim Guard Tyres even if she pays the difference. also, because the sold her the wrong thing it resulted in the mag being scratched so i do feel that they have the obligation to replace the damaged mags.

teaseR
27-09-2008, 08:05 PM
mags will not be replace... as it is scratched/damaged
IF she asked the salesperson for rim guards im pretty sure she would have checked them out before rolling off.
so no in my case for both tyres and wheels as she was a happy customer before anything had happen

VTECMACHINE
28-09-2008, 03:21 PM
so 95% people say No, yet you are still determined on exploring the 5% of Yes opinions.

You won't find out any other way, just go and ask first. Then let us know what happens. Post some pics too