PDA

View Full Version : Car Alarm or Central Locking???

barflairer
29-09-2008, 07:46 PM
This is a noob question but I just can't figure it out.

I've recently replaced my keys after they were stolen but I can't replace my remote. I don't have central locking on my car anymore so I thought I would just put a new central locking kit in but none of them come with remotes. I looked at car alarms and they come with remotes but not the central locking kit.

I don't care about an alarm. I just want central locking. Do I have to buy an alarm and centrol locking kit and install them both so I have a remote and central locking? My central locking unit is still in the car so can I also just buy a new alarm and connect it up to the central locking unit already there.

I'm having a blonde moment and just so confused!

Thanks

mattchuej8
29-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Central Locking and remote central locking are kinda different.

Central locking, is what sync doors ie. you lock/unlock your door(drivers door) all other doors lock/unlock as well

Remote central locking(which you want) is a motor which is usually controlled via the car alarm.(which has the receptor for the remote to contact the central locking)

So usually, im not to sure if anyone has done it without some sort of car alarm, otherwise
You are most probably looking at buying a new alarm system that comes with a remote ($80-$300), and new central locking motor. ($30-$50)

IMO, if you have to get an alarm system installed, might as well get a good one ay.

Alpine
29-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Hmm, mattchuej8 is right but wrong at the same time... :P

You can get central locking with a remote - it's called keyless entry. You don't need to get an alarm for this. Keyless entry kits are cheap. Some kits come with an immobiliser depending which brand and model you choose.

mattchuej8
29-09-2008, 10:02 PM
my bad :P

^ you learn something new every day. :)

MRGRIM
30-09-2008, 08:58 AM
dude simple fix

there are central locking kits that com with remote
i used tpo sell them wholesale to jb hifi
they still carry them