PDA

View Full Version : d16y8 acceleration problems

kraftycuts
30-09-2008, 09:46 PM
hey guys,

a month ago and currently i experience a loss of power when the rpms reach to 2-3k it feels sluggish then after 3k it seems the acceleration is fine. but if i accelerate rapidly or vtec the car it seems kinda fine. can anyone identify my problem and what can i do to fix it?

thanks in advanced

nd55
02-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I'll stick my hand up and vote spark plug leads, but there are people on here much more qualified to answer.

Nick.

mattchuej8
02-10-2008, 09:47 AM
hey, i got the same problem, i was told i need to get my "drive belts" replaced.
idk if thats related to the problem, because i was told this before i started experiencing the feel of "power loss" at lower rpms.
Havnt got it done yet, im poor.

anhie
02-10-2008, 11:46 AM
had similar problems, found out that one of my 4 cylinder weren't working.
use the guide below to isolate the problems. good luck

• Engine doesn't have its normal amount of power:
When you step on the gas, the engine doesn't seem to have the power or pick up it did before. It feels like the get up and go got up and went. It seems to run okay and there are no unusual noises or vibrations, but the engine just isn't performing well. The problem seems to be getting worse and worse as time goes by time, although you did not notice when it first started.
Possible causes:
1. You may have a dirty air filter: Replace the air filter.
2. The spark plugs may be dirty or worn: Clean and regap spark plugs. Replace spark plugs.
3. There may be some type of ignition problem: Check and replace distributor cap, rotor, ignition wires and spark plugs.
4. The ignition wires may be bad: Replace ignition wires.
5. The fuel filter may be clogged: Replace fuel filter.
6. The engine may have mechanical problems: Check compression to determine engine condition.
7. Your catalytic converter may be clogged: Replace catalytic converter.
8. The exhaust system may be clogged: Replace exhaust system.
Symptom:Engine hesitating. When you step on the gas, the engine seems to bog down or takes a second to respond. You may notice a general lack of power. You may notice the problem when the engine is hot or cold or when you are low on fuel.
Possible causes:
1. Dirty air filter.
The Fix: Replace the air filter.
2. The spark plugs may be dirty or worn.
The Fix: Replace spark plugs.
3. The ignition wires may be bad.
The Fix: Inspect and replace ignition wires.
4. Ignition system problems.
The Fix: Check distributor cap or rotor. Ignition module may be bad.
5. You may have water in the gasoline.
The Fix: Drain the gas tank and flush with fresh gas and refill. (Generally not a DIY job)
6. If you have a carburetor (all 3 of you), you may have a bad accelerator pump or power circuit.
The Fix: Replace accelerator pump or replace carburetor.
7. The fuel filter may be clogged.
The Fix: Replace the fuel filter.
8. Your catalytic converter may be clogged.
The Fix: Replace catalytic converter.

i got this from http://autorepair.about.com/od/fixityourself/Fix_It_Yourself.htm