PDA

View Full Version : Weird power delivery problem on dc2r

vteccoupe
01-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Hey everyone, this is the problem i have been facing.

It used to be the starting drive every morning, whereby during light throttle or 2000-3000rpm, the car feels like its dying. It gives the feeling of being dragged down by something heavy.

Then the problem got worse and became a daily affair.

At 1st i was thinking it might be a clogged up fuel filter as i got the car not long ago and unsure of e previous service that it had. So i changed it, the car became better but still sometimes shows the same symptoms.

It feels as if at light throttle i am not throttling at all and e car is slowing dwn but once i apply more throttle e car just jerk and continue going. Going into high revs is not a problem but only is the low rpm range.

I had the following changed:
1. NGK iridium spark plugs
2. spark plug leads
3. Fuel filter

Being told by the mechanic it might be the following problems that might cause this sluggish-ness at light throttle or 2000-3000rpm.

1. TPS sensor
2. IACV
3. 02 sensor
4. Fuel pump ( might be highly unlikely as a faulty fuel pump would make e car lose alot of power )

Anyone having the same problem and would be able to give me some advice or possible things causing the above problems?

squish85
01-10-2008, 01:47 AM
could it be the clutch ...? I'm assuming that there's no CEL ... why would ur mechanic suggest those sensor issues... ?

vteccoupe
01-10-2008, 02:01 AM
got new clutch and flywheel

when i install the hytech header it had the 02 check light on, but after resetting the ECU its all good already

vteccoupe
01-10-2008, 02:02 AM
could it be the clutch ...? I'm assuming that there's no CEL ... why would ur mechanic suggest those sensor issues... ?

i dnt tink u nid to have CEL to be sure its sensor issues.

OMG.JAI xD
01-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Could be alot of things here.
but you have started off in the right foot.

questions.
have you checked how strong the spark is?
have you checked timing?
maybe your injectors are slightly blocked?
have you had a visual look of inside the throttle body/manifold? (without taking the manifold off)

in relation to you CEL being on after installing your headers.
did you by any chance find out why it came on?
check your o2 sensors. check that they are connected.
and check that you didnt mix up upstream with downstream (if you have them)
check no wires are damaged.

abit of history would be nice.
like when did it happen, as in, in what period of time. was a certain service work done and the problem started occuring, if any? does it happen when its cold/hot.

=]

vteccoupe
01-10-2008, 07:13 PM
ok was told by my mechanic its 1 deg advance timing.

I tried a bottle of injectors cleaner. Just bought 1 more, will put then in and see how it goes again :(

I cleaned my throttlebody few weeks ago.

02 sensor is connected, if its not connected e car would run like shit lol

Generally it happens on very light throttle. It happens when its both cold and hot.

unity
01-10-2008, 07:38 PM
Hi, I am having a similar problem with my euro. I find it happens mostly when in 5th gear and am trying to maintain constant speed or going up a slight incline. When I apply very light throttle the car begins to shake a little, not violently, but it just doesn't feel right. This happens upto about 2300RPM. Anything over 2300RPM is very smooth and responsive.
My car is only a few months old and after making a complaint in writing that I feel I have a problem with my car, my dealer kindly responded the next day and invited me to bring in my car to have it tested by someone official in Honda.
So guys if you ever feel that no one is listening to you just put your concerns in writing, in a nice manner, and you will find that your dealer really is interested in helping you.

quenjose
02-10-2008, 01:32 PM
had a similar experience to yours in my old accord...
in low revs... seemed like it was choking.
turn out to be my distributor.

gd luck.

genkimashi
02-10-2008, 01:40 PM
yeap.... as above.. mite be ur distributor.....

IEVAQ8
02-10-2008, 01:51 PM
mine used to do this very rarely......and it was wierd, light throttle and any gear, hot or cold, and it felt like the car was being held back........i honestly dont know how or what or y it got fixed, but since the car has ben turbo charged its fine..........so........since turbocharging but before tune when i drove it the only chnage made was fuel pump, and a service, oil and filter............possibly the fuel pump.......as its the only thing i can recall that i changed apart from bolting the turbo kit together...........

then i changes injectors and ecu and gotr it tuned, never had the issue again.....i hope this helps........................it may be worth getting ur injectors cleaned and flow tested, that way yu know its not injectors....try fuel filter, unless u already have, and then maybe fuel pump

kevster
02-10-2008, 04:28 PM
1 degree advanced timing doesnt sound right , im sure my mech has set mine to 12 degrees i will check my last receipt from servicing. anybody else know what thiers is ?

VTECMACHINE
02-10-2008, 04:53 PM
I have had the same problems before on my DC2R.

My money is on IACV, or O2 sensor.

In my car, I didn't touch the IACV, but replaced the O2 sensor, and it nearly fixed the issue. A good indication if the O2 sensor if eff'ed, is if you tap the throttle lightly and quickly at Idle, the revs will drop and nearly stall. Dunno if this is happening to you.

The only real way my car got back up running 110% was when it was tuned with the PFC, and we gave it more fuel.

IEVAQ8
02-10-2008, 04:56 PM
exactly...........once tuned u give it more fuel, hence y i think my bigger fuel pump with no other mods fixed the prob...............

VTECMACHINE
03-10-2008, 09:23 AM
exactly...........once tuned u give it more fuel, hence y i think my bigger fuel pump with no other mods fixed the prob...............

Yeah... soz I didn't read any other posts in the thread... haha.

IEVAQ8
03-10-2008, 11:19 AM
^^^ its all good.....hehehe

vteccoupe
07-10-2008, 06:51 PM
just an update guys, having changed the fuel filter as well, problem still happening. :(:(

wat can be wrong ?

vteccoupe
07-10-2008, 06:54 PM
I have had the same problems before on my DC2R.

My money is on IACV, or O2 sensor.

In my car, I didn't touch the IACV, but replaced the O2 sensor, and it nearly fixed the issue. A good indication if the O2 sensor if eff'ed, is if you tap the throttle lightly and quickly at Idle, the revs will drop and nearly stall. Dunno if this is happening to you.

The only real way my car got back up running 110% was when it was tuned with the PFC, and we gave it more fuel.

this happens once a while, not all the time. would it be O2 sensor?
seriously pissed off with finding out what is wrong as the car is not throwing any code at all :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

IEVAQ8
07-10-2008, 09:29 PM
try fuel pump.................i mean, get a nother stock one to try if u can, or just speak to JDM yard and get a walbro for $165, thats what i paid

VTECMACHINE
09-10-2008, 02:01 PM
Get a Walbro, from Ebay for $99ish... Try that, have injectors cleaned.
Look it COULD be O2 sensor. Mine wasn't throwing any code, when BEL broke mine. I got new one, and taa daaaa, it was better. After tune, fuel pump and new injectors... it's running 100%.

IEVAQ8
09-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Get a Walbro, from Ebay for $99ish... Try that, have injectors cleaned.
Look it COULD be O2 sensor. Mine wasn't throwing any code, when BEL broke mine. I got new one, and taa daaaa, it was better. After tune, fuel pump and new injectors... it's running 100%.

just becareful that the ebay fuel pump aint a copy..............

vteccoupe
16-10-2008, 08:46 PM
guys, finally found out the problem causing the weird behaviour on my itr.

its the coils in the distributor is fked. Got it changed and drive smooth ever since. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help in troubleshooting anyway.

VTECMACHINE
17-10-2008, 12:48 PM
just becareful that the ebay fuel pump aint a copy..............

True... Lots of fakes going around

guys, finally found out the problem causing the weird behaviour on my itr.

its the coils in the distributor is fked. Got it changed and drive smooth ever since. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the help in troubleshooting anyway.

Nice man! Glad to hear.

fezp
17-10-2008, 03:48 PM
http://forums.clubitr.com.au/showthread.php?t=5172
^^ sound similar or worse? my revs actually used to drop to <1 and only if i hit the gas alot did it jerk and move forward.. otherwise i'd have to wait a couple seconds for it to jerk itself.. either way i was screwed.
the mech i went to changed the idle timing i think, and that seemed to make it better, although now my problem is more of what you seem to have.. BUT my mech just brushes me off about it. cause he doesn't know and cbf figuring out why it happens. faggot.