PDA

View Full Version : d16y8

myztery
01-10-2008, 08:56 PM
hey guys here is a tricky question for you. What can i do to change the gear ratio on the gear box i have a obx 2 way lsd diff... and i want to try get the ratio closer, any suggestions??? D16y8 motor...

Benson
01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Honda-tech.com

There is a guy called "Bense" he did some research into gearbox combo's

nd55
02-10-2008, 12:17 AM
> There is a guy called "Bense" he did some research

http://bensebuilt.livejournal.com/

The gist of it is, first and second gear is pretty much a lost cause.

3.2 and 1.9 ratios and there not much that can be done about it.

If you can source a 'DOHC ZC' d16 gearbox, they have a better 3rd gear, you have to use the later's driven and counter shaft gear.

1.3 from memory. I can't recall. most used the ZC fourth as well.

There's some machining involved on the ID on the fourth and the gears need to be flipped somehow.

Only other alternative I've come across is to use a super low final drive and launch in second.

Mfactory I think were prototyping a 3.08 first gear, but for the money that's not worth the effort as the difference in revs is only a few hundred RPM.

Despite everything, consider yourself lucky in that the D16Y8 came equipped with the better of the D16 ratios.

PS> Just remembered. MFactory do/did d16 gears and they will sell individual gears.
Nick.

myztery
02-10-2008, 01:57 PM
thanks for the info. so in other words i have to build from scratch... i cant just buy one already done...

nd55
02-10-2008, 06:41 PM
> so in other words i have to build from scratch...

IMHO that'll be the least of your problems.

Sourcing a correct DOHC ZC box will be an issue to start.
D16 boxes aren't easily identifiable from the outside, so unless you know the history of the box, picking a ZC DOHC with the correct ratios is gonna be tough.

DOHC ZC's aren't really thick on the ground. Same boxes at throwaway prices less so.

Alternatively:

Mfactory do a 1.5ish/1.0 (3rd&5th) gear set for $US600. From memory they'll do the third gear only for $US300+.

With the Mfactory 1.5/1.0 gears you use OEM 1st, 2nd and 3rd like this.
OEM 1st, OEM 2nd, Mfactory 3rd, OEM 3rd and Mfactory 5th.

Giving roughly:
3.2, 1.9, 1.5, 1.3, 1.0.

The close ratio 5th gear doesn't seem logical to me. Anybody spending real cash should look at a B engine and get the good ratios to start with.

Lastly, Gear-X did a small run of 3.08 first gears for the D16's.
Unfortunately, the few hundred difference in RPM (3.2 vs 3.08) it makes is just not worth the expense.

I think 'Kiwi' of special projects racing (Honda-tech.com) is still stuck trying to sell those gears as a result.

http://www.specialprojectsms.com/index.php?categoryID=4

Unless you're road racing at a track, the problem is 1st to 2nd and there's no solution for that.

D16's don't get much respect for a reason.

www.d-series.org is a great resource for people who are trying to believe otherwise.

Nick.

myztery
02-10-2008, 07:46 PM
thanks for the info might as well try and boost it up to 18 pound....

beeza
02-10-2008, 08:17 PM
haha yeah.But 'Transzex' on d-series.org (http://d-series.org/) will know.Even search that site,I'm sure they have talked about it before or join and ask if you can't find it.

nd55
03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
> might as well try and boost it up to 18 pound....

The gearing issue hurts most when choosing turbos unfortunately.

A small turbo (T25) doesn't get the numbers everyone wants.

A huge turbo (T3/T4 hybrid) sounds good, but only for passes down the 400m strip.

Intermediately sized turbos mean every time you shift you drop in and out of the turbo's spool zone.

Do your research.....

Nick.

Lukezen27
03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
hey guys here is a tricky question for you. What can i do to change the gear ratio on the gear box i have a obx 2 way lsd diff... and i want to try get the ratio closer, any suggestions??? D16y8 motor...

If you sell your D16y8 Box I'd more than likely take it :)

Its got better gear ratios than my D16Y1 :o