PDA

View Full Version : recovering steering wheel

AKILYA666
01-10-2008, 10:03 PM
Has anyone had there oem steering wheel recovered in leather or vinyl. how hard is it to do and how expensive.

Have a airbag on mine and how difficult is it to take apart.(dont want to set it off).

ECU-MAN
02-10-2008, 08:46 AM
the outer part can be coverd, not sure if you would want to cover the inner part where the airbag is.

AKILYA666
02-10-2008, 08:39 PM
nah not where the airbag is just the outside. rubber starting to crack on the outer wheel

MRGRIM
02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
regarding the air bag you wont set it off it takes an electrical charge to trigger it ..once you have disconnected the srs air bag fuse its all good n safe or just unplug the steering colum wiring
re covering your wheel try calling momo they will help or a Rodd resto place they do it all the time
re covering the center part just to let you know its illegal to do so as its tampering with a safty feature of the car and will render it unroad worthy

or you could just get a new wheel from the wreckers they wouldnt be to much as you dont want the exspencive part "the air bag"

AKILYA666
04-10-2008, 04:06 PM
regarding the air bag you wont set it off it takes an electrical charge to trigger it ..once you have disconnected the srs air bag fuse its all good n safe or just unplug the steering colum wiring
re covering your wheel try calling momo they will help or a Rodd resto place they do it all the time
re covering the center part just to let you know its illegal to do so as its tampering with a safty feature of the car and will render it unroad worthy

or you could just get a new wheel from the wreckers they wouldnt be to much as you dont want the exspencive part "the air bag"

just the outside part where you steer. i know recovering the bag part is illegal and cant be done.

squish85
04-10-2008, 07:43 PM
steering wheel covers from repco or supercheap auto.... covering it with leather stiching is a very expensive process.. you eventually end up with cracked leather or discoloured fabric.... I gave that consideration before deciding to buy a $10 steering wheel cover from supercheap auto... If you're not building a full show car.. don't waste the $$ ..(it does'nt come back..)

Just my 2 cents worth..