PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

Lerlo
02-10-2008, 02:27 AM
My car has a cannon now and the droning is driving me nuts.
Was wondering how I could reduce the sound but yet not suffer interms of power?
Should I get a twinloop or a box type muffler??
I do not understand the twinloop design, the 2 added 180 deg bends actually adds alot of restriction.

Nepolian
02-10-2008, 07:44 AM
My car has a cannon now and the droning is driving me nuts.
Was wondering how I could reduce the sound but yet not suffer interms of power?
Should I get a twinloop or a box type muffler??
I do not understand the twinloop design, the 2 added 180 deg bends actually adds alot of restriction.

If you have a cannon, just get a silencer for it. Cheapest way out. Otherwise get a decent muffler. Twinloop is very quiet (wihich is good). Get a stock ITR/EP3 muffler! I've seen cars do sub 14's in them. Cant be too restrictive :)

Good luck!

Lerlo
02-10-2008, 12:35 PM
If you have a cannon, just get a silencer for it. Cheapest way out. Otherwise get a decent muffler. Twinloop is very quiet (wihich is good). Get a stock ITR/EP3 muffler! I've seen cars do sub 14's in them. Cant be too restrictive :)

Good luck!

Yeah Actually I like the sound of the twinloop...and ITR mufflers are hard to find isnt it?

Limbo
02-10-2008, 01:08 PM
the canon has no restrictions at all.
If you go quieter there will always be some power loss.
Twinloops are restrictive (been there done that)
Depending on how much quieter you want here are a few options;

1) add an extra reasonator or maybe get 2 larger ones
2) large body straight thru muffler
3) Get a large muffler with an offset centre

ITR muffler will still have reduction in power. Why do you think ITR owners get rid of them? Also they are a baffled muffler (the chamber type i believe) so the flow will be reduced. They are better than some but if power is what you want you want a straight thru.

Good way to test a muffler is this. Put your hand over one side and yell thru it. That's the easiest way to test mufflers sound reduction. Also better mufflers are more solid. Just tap the outside of the muffler and it should have a very solid feel & weigh more than the cheaper ones.

VTECMACHINE
02-10-2008, 04:48 PM
the canon has no restrictions at all.
If you go quieter there will always be some power loss.

O'rly? My J's racing catback, is MILES quieter than my Spoon one... yet made more power! :D

Limbo
02-10-2008, 05:00 PM
All depends on the quality of the parts, but generally there is always some trade-off with noise & power.

There are some of the more expensive companies who have good quality straight thru systems. Also there is the other science of reasonance tuning for exhaust, but that takes alot of R&D

cruzincivic
02-10-2008, 05:51 PM
i would have to agree either put a silencer on
or
i am not sure but HKS i think brought out that cannon that has the butterfly valve in it that you can shut the noise off.. so on Freeways u can have it quite and on normal streets open it up.. have no idea how it works maybe off a switch that u install in your dash..

RtN
02-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Umm do you have a resonator? add 1 or maybe 2. They tend to reduce the droning. Just like limbo said on option 1.

Lerlo
02-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Umm do you have a resonator? add 1 or maybe 2. They tend to reduce the droning. Just like limbo said on option 1.

Yeah I do have a hotdog resonator

RtN
02-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Ah ok i guess you'd most likely change it (the muffler) then..

Lerlo
02-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Ah ok i guess you'd most likely change it (the muffler) then..

Hmm...so U mean the hotdog resonator is good enuff?

RtN
02-10-2008, 10:16 PM
No i don't know how much a 2nd resonator would help.. just dont know...

but yeh just saying the safest bet is change the muffler.

omgzilla
02-10-2008, 10:33 PM
What size is you piping?

Standard size piping, but you've just exchanged your original muffler for a cannon type?

Quiet does not always mean restrictive/less power. Many tests have proved this!

Twin-loop mufflers are probably your best bet if you want minimal noise increase while still increasing flow over the standard exhaust.

I'm changing mine to a twin-loop soon, you get over the drone very quickly!

Lerlo
03-10-2008, 01:21 AM
What size is you piping?

Standard size piping, but you've just exchanged your original muffler for a cannon type?

Quiet does not always mean restrictive/less power. Many tests have proved this!

Twin-loop mufflers are probably your best bet if you want minimal noise increase while still increasing flow over the standard exhaust.

I'm changing mine to a twin-loop soon, you get over the drone very quickly!

Im not sure, just bought the car. The drone im getting used to, but the fear of hitting vtec & waking up my neighbourhood leading to me being a hoon and defects is still there. Lol

Integra89
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
what u can do is get a new straight threw muffler and a duel tip, thats what i have and when my dad drives it he hates the noise so all we do is stuff a rag in one of tip pipes and that works like a charm