PDA

View Full Version : Phew, close call... :)

Dominik
05-10-2004, 08:55 AM
So i'm driving back from Coffs Harbour yesterday (ugh, holiday traffic), at about 110km/h (which is probably closer to 105km/h coz my speedo is out from the lower profile tyres), and i hit this bridge which sends my car into a bouncing fit (my gf and i were nearly hitting our heads on the roof!). After it all settled down again we had a little laugh, and i looked ahead and spotted a highway patrol car waiting to do a U-Turn. So i checked my speed, and adjusted it to the speed limit (100km/h)...

But sure enough, the cop does his u-turn and comes flying up to tuck in behind me. He pulled me over and i was worried he'd get me for doing a few k's over the limit earlier. But when he came out of his car i saw he only had the RBT unit in his hands (phew!!!). As he hands it to me to blow into he glances at the the wheels and says:
"Who lowered your car for you?";
i proudly say "i did, with some second hand springs!" (my car is lowered 3.5" for those that havent seen the pics)
to which he replied "looks more like you have cut your springs, by the way you were bouncing over that bridge! Have you got any mods under the bonnet?"
At this time i sighed relief because i had just replaced my pod filter with the OEM airbox the weekend before. I told him that the springs were definitely not cut, and showed him my completely stock (and detailed) engine bay. I think he was a bit shocked...

BUT, then he walks back to his car and brings out a tape measure!!! He measured the front: 11cm at the sideskirts, then the rear: 10cm at the edge of the sideskirts... Any further in and it would have been 8cm... He proceeded to tell me that he's gonna take that as being a legal height, but that he should have taken it from under the car (which would have been much lower!)

Result: A warning to get my shock absorbers checked out, and to look at replacing my springs (and to take care on the road!)

I'm so happy i dont have an exhaust/intake now. That would have been a defect for sure (further proof to my theory that exhaust/intake mods are defect-magnets)... :):):)

h22a accord
05-10-2004, 12:05 PM
seriously, id be more worried about those worn out OEM shocks being the cause of an accident where you and your g/f could be seriously injured by the way you are and have described the "bouncing fits" your car develops.

get them replaced as soon as you can.

i think chrome wheels are defect magnets ( as in an invitation to pull you over to look for defects) i never had much trouble with the police b4 i had wheels, now they pull me over more often.

FORGED
05-10-2004, 03:54 PM
yeah taht sounds like a bit of a close one, if i get pulled up im definately screwed, ive torn out the shock and spring altogether and replaced it with an air cylinder. fully aaaagree with you h221 accord, chrome wheels definately get the cops heads turning!

bird
05-10-2004, 04:06 PM
at least you didnt get fined and your alright, Must of been a big bump??

Pum[Z]
05-10-2004, 05:06 PM
Close Call... Better get ur suspension checked if it bounced like that... Damn lucky u took ur airfilter off..

Good to hear at least u were ok with the bump and with the cops...

Type R Positive
05-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Sounds like something went wrong. Have you had another allignment yet? It maybe worth while.

I haven't been pulled over in maybe 2.5 - 3 years now. I had an old crappy '89 colt, I could get away with murder in that. Speeding, no worries. Dragging off the lights, no worries. It was never targeted by the police so it wouldn't even get a second look. It is lies that the cops say they don't target young people in nice cars. I am going to try to keep the euro legal, I just have to find out how to get mods passed off. IO think you can do it where they do roadworthys? Not sure.

Dominik
05-10-2004, 11:54 PM
Yeah, the shocks are severely outmatched. 60% stiffer springs (which are also 3.5" lower) will do that.

For the most part the suspension is alright. It only bounces over severe bumps.

I've been over this particular bridge a couple of times and it does it every time - the bridge has undulations which are perfectly in harmony with the springs - the car launches off the start of the bridge, and comes down just in time to hit the hump in the middle (causing the second bounce), only to come down right on the lump at the end of the bridge (third bounce).

Since the car does 3 bounces at perfect timing, it continues with another one before the shocks have a chance to control it. I think that even with perfect shocks it would be a nasty bridge to go over.

I will get higher rated shocks eventually - as soon as these shocks die (not long by my calculations), but i'm not looking forward to the harsh ride. I'm already looking forward to my next car: '90 Celsior or Crown VIP with factory air suspension. Its nice to be able to lower your car without affecting the ride (and being able to raise it at any time).

toE
06-10-2004, 01:42 AM
the cops were prolly on the prowl cos of the long weekend/double demerit anyways. and paid more attention to cars on the road. ;)

Type R Positive
06-10-2004, 08:42 AM
I've been over this particular bridge a couple of times and it does it every time - the bridge has undulations which are perfectly in harmony with the springs - the car launches off the start of the bridge, and comes down just in time to hit the hump in the middle (causing the second bounce), only to come down right on the lump at the end of the bridge (third bounce).
You sound like me! At least it's fun, hey.