PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable suspension

paps02
02-10-2008, 11:47 AM
ok..

i want to lower my car further then what my kings springs are, like really slam my car down. and im looking at adjustable springs that can be used with stock shocks... i look at this as an advantage over king springs as it allows for raising and lowering whenever i want..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280270933049&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCKCK_Pr12_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=380015594822&itemcount=12&refwidgetloc=active_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m184&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3 DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D12

can someone check that link out for me and let me know - WOULD THESE LOWER MY CAR?? and would they be good quality?

i know this may throw my camber way off. but thats not what im worried about atm...

so yer feeback

NSPYRE
02-10-2008, 11:59 AM
coil-over sleeves are fine. i've used them personally and a few friends of mine have as well without any issues at all. personally, i've used the omni power ones and i've heard ground control go alright too.

the thing is, the ride is going to be bouncy. if u can live with that then thats fine. also, these things are purely cosmetic - dont expect any great things in the handling department. hope this helps :)

paps02
02-10-2008, 12:08 PM
thanks for the advice. exactly what i wanted to know.

bouncy as in really stiff??

but yer dont care about handling. im more the showy type.. but yer more interested in feedback on the product so thanks

NSPYRE
02-10-2008, 12:12 PM
no worries mate :)

anyway, they're bouncy like a ball is bouncy, lol. full coil-overs give u that really stiff ride - they dont bounce around at all. wen u go over some rough road on coil sleeves, u will literally bounce around in your seat. its really not that bad but some people are just soft and whinge about it, lol

Zdster
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
thanks for the advice. exactly what i wanted to know.

bouncy as in really stiff??

No, bouncy as in the opposite of stiff. Stiff = stabilty, Bouncy = the opposite.

but yer dont care about handling. im more the showy type.. but yer more interested in feedback on the product so thanks

I would do some more research into coilover sleeves. Personally I would much prefer to run a good quality set of springs and/or shocks or if money is available get a set of true coilovers.

aaronng
02-10-2008, 12:24 PM
Bouncy because your stock dampers won't be doing anything since they will be working out of spec. Then after a few months, you'll find oil leaking out of your stock dampers and you'll have to throw them out and find replacements.

NSPYRE
02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
he's going for pure cosmetics guys and since he's looking at sleeves im assuming he doesnt have the dosh to spend on some awesome setup. i had mine running in my 14 year old civic for 6 months slammed at 4" all round with no leaks on my stock dampers.

my friend who is also a member on here had them running on his 9 year old integra for well over a year and still did not suffer leaks from his dampers.

yes, its only a matter of time but u can pick up a set of stock dampers for like $50 - $100 2nd hand off the for sale forum from time to time.

paps02 - people are always gonna tell u that when u lower ur car, sh!ts gonna happen. ur CV boots are gonna go, and as mentioned, ONE DAY ur dampers will go to. seriously mate, its your car and u decide wat u want for it, not anyone else. as for camber wear, its not so bad. toe kills tyres more than camber does so just make sure u get a wheel alignment. request to have front toe to zero and rear toe slightly in. good luck mate

aaronng
02-10-2008, 12:40 PM
. as for camber wear, its not so bad. toe kills tyres more than camber does so just make sure u get a wheel alignment. request to have front toe to zero and rear toe slightly in. good luck mate

It still wears the inner shoulder quicker than stock. I had my whole inner shoulder go in 5000km with only -4º of camber.

NSPYRE
02-10-2008, 12:43 PM
^^^ WOW! in 5000km???? mind i ask what tyres you were running? ur toe was at zero yeah? only time i've had hectic wear like that was when my toe was wayyyyy off. every other time my tyres give a good 15,000km or so before its time to change

aaronng
02-10-2008, 01:14 PM
^^^ WOW! in 5000km???? mind i ask what tyres you were running? ur toe was at zero yeah? only time i've had hectic wear like that was when my toe was wayyyyy off. every other time my tyres give a good 15,000km or so before its time to change
I was on Dunlop SP2050m then. They are hard compound tyres.

Everything about the alignment was within stock spec, except for the camber because I didn't have a camber kit installed. I put the camber back to within spec (-1º), put on new tyres (RE001) and no more wearing of the shoulders, eventhough it has been about 18,000km on this new set.

paps02
02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
paps02 - people are always gonna tell u that when u lower ur car, sh!ts gonna happen. ur CV boots are gonna go, and as mentioned, ONE DAY ur dampers will go to. seriously mate, its your car and u decide wat u want for it, not anyone else.

your right. but what im doing is asking other people in their experience whether this product is worth it and learn through there mistakes as aposed to just going with what i want and learning the hard way.. in the end i'm probably going to leave my suspension as it is if people are saying the shocks and cv's will keep fukn up. if it makes my car unsafe/unreliable IMO the mod isn't worth it..

the product specs say it would be desirable to be used in conjunction with the skunk2(or other) coilovers, is this because they will eliminate the threat of blowing cv's and things like that?

Zdster
02-10-2008, 02:04 PM
the product specs say it would be desirable to be used in conjunction with the skunk2(or other) coilovers, is this because they will eliminate the threat of blowing cv's and things like that?

Might not help with blown CV's, but should help with your shocks wearing as fast. That being said, if you are going to the effort of upgrading your shocks, I would just put on a good set of springs that are lowered to the height that you like.

paps02
02-10-2008, 02:15 PM
so to conclude. these would be only worth getting for their adjustableness if im riding on coilovers? and not stock shocks because of the threat to cv's and shocks when lowered too much and the uncomfortable ride, inferior handling etc?

Zdster
02-10-2008, 02:20 PM
so to conclude. these would be only worth getting for their adjustableness if im riding on coilovers? and not stock shocks because of the threat to cv's and shocks when lowered too much and the uncomfortable ride, inferior handling etc?

No, you are getting confused.

A coilover is a spring that is matched to a specific set of shocks. Some of these said coilovers are adjustable.

What you are looking at in a coilover sleeve is essentially an adjustable spring.

Personally I wouldnt bother with these due to the ride/handling component. I would rather suggest that you get a set of springs that lower the car to the height that you want. If you are looking for an adjustable ride height look at getting a set of true coilovers.

JohnL
02-10-2008, 02:40 PM
your right. but what im doing is asking other people in their experience whether this product is worth it and learn through there mistakes as aposed to just going with what i want and learning the hard way.. in the end i'm probably going to leave my suspension as it is if people are saying the shocks and cv's will keep fukn up. if it makes my car unsafe/unreliable IMO the mod isn't worth it..

That's the thing, what you are asking would make your car dangerous, as in handle dangerously badly. Very stiff springs with weak dampers (and that would include stock dampers in good condition) will behave somewhat like stock springs with blown dampers, i.e. the suspension and body motion will be uncontrolled by the dampers (at least poorly controlled). This will create very poor handling and an uncomfortable and possibly nauseating ride (as in sea sickness type nauseating from the car bouncing up and down on oscillating springs).

With stiff springs you need stiff dampers, or you probably won't like the result.

Add to this that with a substantial lowering on stock dampers you will be bottoming out very easily, and this causes instantanous weight transfers during cornering that can cause very sudden loss of grip, enough to cause a crash...

And, substantial lowering messes with the suspension geometry, and that in itself can cause poor handling characteristics.

NSPYRE
02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
u guys all make valid points but ur needlessly scaring the guy. as mentioned, he's asking specifically for people who have used coil sleeves first hand and im simply suggesting that they're fine to use except for the part where his dampers will eventually give out.

paps02 - u wanted the opinion of people who have used these before and im giving u 2 seperate scenario's. my friend and i have used these as daily driven and my friend even used these on wakefield track. though they were sh!t, nothing happened that was catastrophic. if you're not gonna be a hero with them, then i dont see how they're going to be dangerous in a street application.

CRXDEL501
02-10-2008, 05:51 PM
george...

with what you got planned, save a bit, and do it right.

get coilovers, and they will do everything you want.

paps02
02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
u guys all make valid points but ur needlessly scaring the guy. as mentioned, he's asking specifically for people who have used coil sleeves first hand and im simply suggesting that they're fine to use except for the part where his dampers will eventually give out.

paps02 - u wanted the opinion of people who have used these before and im giving u 2 seperate scenario's. my friend and i have used these as daily driven and my friend even used these on wakefield track. though they were sh!t, nothing happened that was catastrophic. if you're not gonna be a hero with them, then i dont see how they're going to be dangerous in a street application.

so iv established that for an aesthetic thing they work a treat but when it comes to reliability not so much.

NSPYRE - would u say the ride was "nausiating" as some have suggested? or no just same as any family car with soft suspension? what about user friendliness? is it easy to set the springs evenly and all that ?

paps02
02-10-2008, 08:57 PM
george...

with what you got planned, save a bit, and do it right.

get coilovers, and they will do everything you want.

jono ur jelous i drive a civic and u drive a delslow.... lol

but yer theyr for nick aswell cause his car is heaps to low. so he needs these for his roadworthy!! dw i got money set aside. but dont give away too many secrets:eek:

CRXDEL501
02-10-2008, 10:32 PM
delslow hahaha

good one.

when u get rid of all that body weight give me a call lol :P

NSPYRE
02-10-2008, 11:29 PM
so iv established that for an aesthetic thing they work a treat but when it comes to reliability not so much.

NSPYRE - would u say the ride was "nausiating" as some have suggested? or no just same as any family car with soft suspension? what about user friendliness? is it easy to set the springs evenly and all that ?

well you're on king springs right now yeah? how much is the drop on those? it will pretty much be similar to that. as for a nauseating ride, it really comes down to the person and on what roads you travel. personally, i didnt find them that bad. i drive to sydney on a frequent basis (used to be about once a week). so thats a 2 hrs and 30 min drive for me. didnt bother me one bit and neither did it bother my gf who goes up with me. every time i went up i'd drive in the city too and that wasnt so bad either. one thing though is driving to and from JDM Yard. that T-intersection where the maccas on the corner is - that is one hectic bouncy ride! lol

adjustment is real easy. just measure the distance of the thread from the bottom lock nut to the base of the damper and apply that same distance all round - or if u prefer, in pairs, ie: front and rear. simple.