PDA

View Full Version : EJ8 or EM1 or DC2R for a Project Car

TONTON
03-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey guys, im currently on my Red P's, green P's next year around april ( planning to get this car on my Green P's), and i drive a Honda Accord Euro Sport, (inherited the car, but its abit too boring for me, like its too technologically controlled, so im after a raw car)

Anyways ive been thinking of afew cars to start off with... but ive narrowed it down to 3 cars.

1. Honda civic Vti-r Coupe ( EM1)
2. Honda Civic coupe Vti EJ8 ( soch vtec)
3. Honda integra Type-r

I am more or less after a project car, so i was thinking of either these combos:

EM1: Silver then ill respray it Metallic pale mustard yellow~
Civic Type R Recaro Seats
Civic Type R Red Carpet
Civic Type R Shift Boot
Civic Type R Door Inserts
Civic Type R Mono Steering Wheel with Airbag
Civic Type R Peddles
White Volks or Buddy club P1's ( 16inch MAX)
Civic Type-R front lights
OEM honda lip kit ( front, rear)
Better Brakes
Strut bars
Intake system
Full exhaust system ( headers, etc)

EJ8: Silver then ill respray it Metallic pale mustard yellow~ ( Basically the same as the EM1, but ill have to do an engine transplant so maybe B18C)
Civic Type R Recaro Seats
Civic Type R Red Carpet
Civic Type R Shift Boot
Civic Type R Door Inserts
Civic Type R Mono Steering Wheel with Airbag
Civic Type R Peddles
White Volks or Buddy club P1's ( 16inch MAX)
Civic Type-R front lights
OEM honda lip kit ( front, rear)
Better Brakes
Strut bars
Intake system
Full exhaust system ( headers, etc)

Integra Type-R (DC2)
- leave it stock? get some new rims + work on the handling, maybe get a new exhaust system + intake~

Anyways ill be on a budget... but from what i see the price difference between a EM1 and an EJ8 is huge, you can pickup a manual EJ8 for like 7-9k and with the EM1 its like 14-17k ( carsales)

But im worried about the engine transplant for the EJ8, is there anyway of me getting around it? i.e. registering it with my dads name?

And also the corvette on the left in that picture below is the colour i want... its like pale metallic yellow? But painting the car is last on my list anyways.

http://www.kerbeck.com/kerbeck/kerbeck.nsf/f/42/$FILE/DSC05742.JPG ( first one on the left)

votek
03-10-2008, 12:16 PM
whats wrong with the type r's handling

it will out handle the em1 and ej stock

TONTON
03-10-2008, 12:36 PM
No meant like theres not much you can do with the DC2R, because its already pretty much perfect~ so ill just add in new coilovers or something~

EK1.6LCIV
03-10-2008, 02:06 PM
If you want to start fresh there's no fresher than the EJ8, I'm doing mine up, if I known at the time the Type R or Em1 existed, would've bought ethier of those and saved a fortune. But in the end I love coupes and wouldn't have it any other way :)

latinstyle69
03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
id suggest the DC2R and if not then the Em1 but it all depends on your budget. how much you looking to spend in total? cos the sound of things your looking to spend around 20k or over

but no matter what you choose it all sounds like it will end up pretty hot man :thumbsup:

EK1.6LCIV
03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
then you have to decide do you want a pre-face Civic or later version, but the again you can do both a 99-00 conversion to an EJ8 or even if you're really keen DC2R front end :)

also if youre on your p's the engine transplant is out of the question, you may as well buy a DC2R and there's your B18C anyway, any mods that require and engineering modification plate are not p-plater friendly

for example my mod atm, b16a into my EJ8, as it's the engine for the optional model (EM1) I can use it as long as I adapt my EJ8 to have the same brakes and suspension as on the optional model (EM1) (Already have koni adjustables on it so all that is left is EM1/EK4 brakes) and this makes it legal for p-platers as it doesn't need a modification plate :), not that I'm on my p's it's just if I sell up I want a broader market to sell it to is all

Deano_EK
03-10-2008, 02:15 PM
Instead of spending all that money on a em or ej, go for the dc2r, straight out of the box its an awesome little package with all the extras like recaros and stuff, upgrade the handling and maybe an i/h/e upgrade with left over money and u will have a super fun car.
Deano

TONTON
03-10-2008, 02:50 PM
then you have to decide do you want a pre-face Civic or later version, but the again you can do both a 99-00 conversion to an EJ8 or even if you're really keen DC2R front end :)

also if youre on your p's the engine transplant is out of the question, you may as well buy a DC2R and there's your B18C anyway, any mods that require and engineering modification plate are not p-plater friendly

for example my mod atm, b16a into my EJ8, as it's the engine for the optional model (EM1) I can use it as long as I adapt my EJ8 to have the same brakes and suspension as on the optional model (EM1) (Already have koni adjustables on it so all that is left is EM1/EK4 brakes) and this makes it legal for p-platers as it doesn't need a modification plate :), not that I'm on my p's it's just if I sell up I want a broader market to sell it to is all

Yeah but i really just want a project car to have fun with, what i like about the EM1 is the sunroof and the engine... So your saying that i can transplant a B16a into a ej8 and as long as i have the bigger brakes and better suspension then it is legal for a P plater?

My budget would be no more than 17-18k MAX on everything...( not including the respray)

LiKPiC
03-10-2008, 02:51 PM
honestly, i dont know why would you go from a euro to a civic/integra

based on the mods that you want to do.
it's be most cost effective for you to go the dc2r (b/c it already has most of the mods you want - recaros, momo steering wheel etc)

but go out, drive the cars. see what sorts of mods ppl have done to them. see what you can afford.
by the sounds of things, i think youll be happy with any of the 3

LiKPiC
03-10-2008, 02:52 PM
em1 sunroof was optional so not all of them have one

EK1.6LCIV
03-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Yeah but i really just want a project car to have fun with, what i like about the EM1 is the sunroof and the engine... So your saying that i can transplant a B16a into a ej8 and as long as i have the bigger brakes and better suspension then it is legal for a P plater?

My budget would be no more than 17-18k MAX on everything...( not including the respray)

Yep, for legalities in QLD all I needed was the same suspension or better and the same brakes and yes no mod plate :)

The sunroofs are a rarity amoungst coupes that are RHD all of the LHD ones overseas got em, dont be too fussed, for $1500 heaps of people can install one here in OZ

for the B16 side of things buy an EM1, it's all the power I need for daily duties, and decent suspension and brakes is all I need to have fun in the hills :) With relatively cheap mods, like an exhaust and intake they can make healthy 135 atw hp whereas my EJ8 (D16Y8 with 4-2-1 s/s headers with 2" system) only makes a nible 100atw hp

TONTON
03-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Really now? Sunroofs were only optional?!

Are they an option in the EK4's aswell? because all the Ek4's ive seen have sunroofs... and i want to go from a Euro to an EM1 because its more of a raw car.. it doesnt beep at everything i do, and with the euro theres soo many blindspots... like i cant see over the bonnet or behind me.... and im not too short ( 179cm tall)

And i just want a sporty coupe so yeah...hmm ill have another look into both the EM1 and EJ8 in afew weeks time...

LiKPiC
03-10-2008, 04:48 PM
ek4s all have sunroofs. for the em1, it was a dealer option.

mugenpower168
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
dunno how it is in other sates, i'm from melbourne but i got my b16a2 from an em1 put into my ej8, walked into Vicroads with a handwritten receipt, they jsut checked that the engine isnt stolen, and away i went. No hassles or anything with upgrading anything else.

TONTON
03-10-2008, 06:21 PM
Really now? That kinda makes sense since the B16A2 is in the EM1 and so it'll be just like a replacement engine for the EJ8...

Well i might just get an EJ8 and put a b16A2 in it...

What else is different about the two models?

LiKPiC
03-10-2008, 08:06 PM
interior differences:
material
centre console for em1 is storage aswell
cup holders in em1

exterior differences:
pre- post-facelift
so lights, bumper
painted mould on em
unpainted on ej

engine:
d16 v b16

brakes:
not sure about size
but ej has rear drums
em has rear disc
em has abs

suspension:
em1 has rsb

cant think of anymore.

TONTON
03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
Ok thanks guys, ill start buying all the Type-R parts now, and the SRT4 recaro's

And uangle, im gonna buy the civic next year, around April, so if yours is still for sale then ill have a look at it.

Cheers

wnxc3lta
04-10-2008, 09:24 PM
hey uangel how much u selling for?

RtN
05-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Yeh I have an em1 but i'd love a dc2r !! lol but yeh if you can do em1 with type r engine and u know those handling components.. it'd look possibly hotter than dc2r..

V-TEC_BABY
06-10-2008, 08:42 AM
re OEM honda lip kit (front and rear only)

How much can you usually pick this up for?? anyone?

EK1.6LCIV
06-10-2008, 11:44 AM
edited :D

interior differences:
material
centre console for em1 is storage aswell
cup holders in em1 EJ8 also has these as well :thumbsup:

exterior differences:
pre- post-facelift
so lights, bumper
painted mould on em
unpainted on ej

engine:
d16 v b16

brakes:
not sure about size
but ej has rear drums
em has rear disc
em has abs they both have abs :thumbsup:

suspension:
em1 has rsb

cant think of anymore.

EK1.6LCIV
06-10-2008, 11:45 AM
re OEM honda lip kit (front and rear only)

How much can you usually pick this up for?? anyone?

the dealer won't have preface lips, only the front lip on 99-00 models and it varies from 300-600 bux

the preface you will have to find 2nd hand or replicas for the lips, dealers here sell them from $150 and up per item :thumbsup:

TONTON
06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Im thinking about the type-r frontlip... and using an older pre-facelift bumper =D

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/andyrod/DSC00219.jpg

front will just like the link above with with yellow foggies ( http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/images/t_17157_01.jpg)

and the rear will be look like the below:

http://i385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/andyrod/DSC00225.jpg

.... keep in mind the colour will be pale pearly/metallic yellow =D

and the rims will be either gunmetal buddy club p1's... or white volk te37's
around 16-17inch ( most likely 16)

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g165/teneighty23/CivicWide.jpg <-- like that but in gunmetal...

anyways im just collecting my parts for this car... ill decide wether to get an EJ8 or a EM1 in afew months time... just have to finish my hsc exams first lol

EK1.6LCIV
06-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Yea, been tossing up foggies myself, gf reckons they look gay, lol, so might just have to get them anyways, lol

BC ftw yeow :)

As for the lip, those ones are hard to find, I ended up getting an EM1 factory one to fit up to the EJ8 rear bar

Those exams don't mean much at all, don't worry about them, unless you want to be a) a doctor b) lawyer c) engineer

even engineers can work their way up thro tafe then get credit into uni

I hate those types of exams, they're meaningless imo lol

TONTON
06-10-2008, 01:11 PM
lol i wanna be an engineer haha, yeah i dont really like exams and think its a waste of time but yeh

umm yeah you should get foggies( clear or yellow?), yeah well when i buy my civic next year, hopefully ill find one that has the rearlip im looking for fitted to it lol

EK1.6LCIV
06-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Get an OP 3 or higher, it's what most people would say is what'd you'd need, engineering is fun, if I was to get the degree I'd have 2.5yrs left, bloody lot of hard work.

Yea, I'm steering toward the yellow ones, altho, not too sure

TONTON
12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!