PDA

View Full Version : Double DIN not flush

XP02ED
03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
Hey guys i just installed a double din on my em1 and im clueless on my options for a DIY

i have a gap on the left and right side of the headunit

about 1 cm i reckon

i was looking at ebay to buy a civic kit although not sure that will fix it

anyone got ideas to make it flush?

i'm to the point where i might DIY the console and extend it using firbeglass but a big job i think

arverson
03-10-2008, 02:26 PM
no need for fibreglassing. bog & sanding is enough for something this simple.

XP02ED
03-10-2008, 02:30 PM
true although i wont be ablt to take the HU out then

as the console fits in first

then HU

as the HU relies on the console ( HU is mounted to the console with Double Din holder ) unless i mount it some other way?

arverson
03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
oh i see

i can picture exactly what to do in this case, dont know how to explain it tho lolz

could you maybe get a picture of the console & HU in place atm??

XP02ED
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
yeh alright not now thought @ work!

but yet like the HU is mounted onto the console so thats whats got me

unless i make a custom bracket and mount it to the dash

EDIT my console looks like this :

http://www.hkc-speed.com/images/uploads/ek9-climate_control/0203/1.jpg

but see the brackets i dont have that

ICACHA
03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
head unit should fit in perfectly, only thing you would be missing is the trim surround for the radio, if it doesnt come with one you will need to source one from somewhere depending on what radio you got i guess

arverson
04-10-2008, 12:24 PM
if you dont have the BRACKET then.. what the hells holding your head unit in place?!

TYP32
05-10-2008, 10:37 AM
You could do something as simple as getting a cabinetmaker (someone that has a computer router) to router u out a surround out of customwood/mdf. That way you can sand and shape your surround to suit both your head unit as well as the curve of your centre console. Spray it to suit your choice of colour, if you're good enough, it will look oem. Trust me it works, did it to a few competition cars back in the day.
Good luck.